Some of the best anime moments have been provided by characters who are a bit touched in the head. Here is my countdown of the Top 10 Anime Characters Who (really) Need Psychiatric Help.

WARNING: Some minor, and one major, spoilers below.

10. Remi from Perfect Blue. This is the only movie character on this list. Mina may be getting the mind-f-ck, but as it turns out, Remi is the real coo coo.

9. Tsukiko Sagi from Paranoia Agent. There is more than one character in this anime which needs a session on the couch of Dr. Feelgood. But shy little Tsukiko is in the middle of it. It is her psychosis which manifests itself.

8. Katsuki from My Hero Academia. Anyone else think Katsuki is not right in the head? This guy is going to be a super-villain. Mark my words!

7. Tatsuhiro Satou from Welcome to the NHK. It’s a jungle out there, so why not just lock yourself in your apartment and never come out? Tatsuhiro cannot relate to a world he fears, so he becomes a kikikomon. But a high school girl named Misaki comes to his rescue. Only I am pretty sure practicing psychiatry without a license is illegal in Japan as it is in the US. Get thee to a professional.

6. Rintaro Okabe from Steins;Gate. Okabe is a self-declared mad scientist who is out to conquer the world. Yeah, right. Something needs to shock this head case into reality. Unfortunately it is the apparent death of an old friend.

5. Izaya Orihara from Durarara!! and Durarara!!X2. A master manipulator, Izaya is a challenge for any shrink. He is a manipulator, who justifies his actions because he loves humanity. Well, it a warped way this rationalization makes sense to Izaya. He’d better talk it over with the good Dr. Feelgood, and discover the real reason for his anti-social behavior.

4. Ladd Russo from Bocanno!! In one scene, Ladd is literally skipping with glee down a train corridor eagerly anticipating an upcoming bloodbath. Somewhere a screw came lose. Only his relation to a mob boss is keeping him alive, enforcing his insanity.

3. Nina Einstein from Code Geass. Nina’s attraction to Princess Euphemia is a bit more than the usual schoolgirl crush. It borders on obsession. Does Nina really think she has a chance with a princess who is straight? Even after they become friends? Of course the fun does not really start until Euphie’s death when Nina’s circuits overload and she becomes homicidal for most of the rest of the series.

2. Johan Liebert from Monster. On second thought, maybe this one should be kept away from any psychiatrists. He’s better at it than anyone with a Ph.D. If Izaya is a master manipulator, then Johan is the king.

1. Satou from Ajin: Demi-Human. Have any hostility issues? Satou is the kind of guy who lives next door to you, and who would invite you over for a beer and to watch a ball game. Real nice fellow, if it weren’t for all those bodies he leaves behind. Sure, ajins have reason to dislike humans. But Satou takes it a bit far. Let’s talk about your childhood. Did your father beat you?

Honorable Mentions:

Kousei Arima from Your Lie in April
Lain from Lain

I would include the entire cast from Neo-Genesis Evangeleon, but I dislike them all. So let them suffer.

Any more? Discuss and list.