AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help involving romaji and っ occurrences.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    Sakura Koneko is a splendid one to behold Sakura Koneko is a splendid one to behold Sakura Koneko is a splendid one to behold Sakura Koneko is a splendid one to behold Sakura Koneko is a splendid one to behold Sakura Koneko is a splendid one to behold Sakura Koneko is a splendid one to behold Sakura Koneko's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts 035 - Clefairy 147 - Dratini 133 - Eevee
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-27-2018 09:40 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: akittennamedsakura

Default Need help involving romaji and っ occurrences.

So I was working on transliterating some lyrics and ran into the little っ and I just really don't know what to do with it in the specific situations it's popping up.

There's a bunch of instances like ほやほやほやっと and I'm assuming I'd write that out as "hoyahoyahoya tto", but I'm not really sure?

Then there's some instances like "ぱふぱふっ" and I really don't know if I'm supposed to write that "pafupafuu" or something else.

Sorry for the odd thread and if this is in the wrong place, I wasn't sure which section to look for help in.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Gifts Kill Bill Katana Compass
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-25-2019 07:34 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Re: Need help involving romaji and っ occurrences.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura Koneko View Post
    So I was working on transliterating some lyrics and ran into the little っ and I just really don't know what to do with it in the specific situations it's popping up.

There's a bunch of instances like ほやほやほやっと and I'm assuming I'd write that out as "hoyahoyahoya tto", but I'm not really sure?

Then there's some instances like "ぱふぱふっ" and I really don't know if I'm supposed to write that "pafupafuu" or something else.

Sorry for the odd thread and if this is in the wrong place, I wasn't sure which section to look for help in.
    Okay, I am still a novice at this (IE take anything I say with a grain of salt) but I believe that shows a sudden sharp (glottal) stop in a sound. Normally we represent this as a double consonant.

if it is at the end of the word or sentence it depicts a sudden stop to the word. We often show this in English with three ellipses. Say a person is yelling “what are you doing” and has a hand cover their mouth midway through:

Man: “What are you do...”

So ぱふぱふっ would be “pafupaf...” or “pafupaf.” I believe it is trying to say puff puff in this case.

I believe Your other example is applying a と adverbally to an onomatopoeia. These onomatopoeic words often have such a stop before the と.

Here is a resource mentioning it:

https://www.tofugu.com/japanese/japanese-onomatopoeia/

Edit: I found this other resource doing a quick search
    https://www.sljfaq.org/afaq/sokuon-uses.html
    Last edited by Lost247365; 12-15-2018 at 10:48 PM.
    迷いだということまで私達は自分達を見つけり始まれない

ヘンリーデイヴィッドソロー

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information