So the first question is exactly what audience is Gad Guard targeted for? The heroes are all kids – young teens actually. So I guess this is a kids’ anime? Though there is a bit of blood and violence, not to mention the occasionally half-dressed, big breasted sexy female. And why the hard core street scenes? I guess kids in Japan grow up quickly.

OK, the premise!

There are these square rock-like things which fall from space, and they call them Gads. If the right person touches it, they turn into a robotic fighting machine called a Techode. There are five main Techodes in the series, with four belonging to a group of young teens. There is the rich girl Aiko, the crime fighting Takuni, martial artist Arashi, and the main character, a delivery boy named Hajiki. The remaining Techode belongs to a grownup named Katana, who obviously passes as the series’ villain.

And so the adventures begin. There are various little storylines along the way of this 26 episode series. Only over the last few episodes, the story goes in a totally nonsensical direction. Nonsensical, but easy to understand and follow. Gad Guard is not exactly mind candy.

The artwork is suitable for a series, as is the animation. The plot is just good enough to keep me watching. But overall, Gad Guard may not be a bad anime, but it is not one which excites either. I rate this one as average.