AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A few questions about the Japanese Test

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Gifts Kill Bill Katana Compass
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-25-2019 07:34 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default A few questions about the Japanese Test

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to answer a few questions about the Japanese test?

In particular, on the transliteration part of the test, how are we supposed to transliterate the particles は, を, and へ, as well as the ん kana? Are thes particles supposed to be transliterated as they sound ("wa," "o," and "e" respectively) or a straight representation of the kana ("ha," "wo," and "he")? Is ん supposed to be transliterated simply as "n" or should the apostrophe be included as well. And will points be taken off if I transliterate a word or phrase that has multiple ways of reading it one way when the other is expected?

For the phrase 今日は. Should this be transliterated as "Kon'nichi wa" or "Konnichi wa" or "kon'nichi ha" or "konnichi ha." Similarly, if there was no context to tell if this was a salutation or referring to today, would points be taken off if transliterated as "kyou wa" or "kyou ha" instead?

Finally, if we haven't passed the test is it okay to post in the forum (not as a submission) our attempts to translate songs as we learn? For instance, I have attempted to translate the ending song to Danmachi, "Light Right Rise." Could I posted that attempted translation in the forum for possible input and or corrections; and then, when I do pass the test, make it as an official submission at that time?

Or should I just wait until I pass?
    Last edited by Lost247365; 10-10-2018 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Wanted it to show my signature...
    迷いだということまで私達は自分達を見つけり始まれない

ヘンリーデイヴィッドソロー

AnimeLyrics Admin
    EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-25-2020 10:24 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: xenographer Steam ID: xen0glossy

Default Re: A few questions about the Japanese Test

Fortunately, the majority of your questions have one short, simple answer: It's up to you. I don't try to mandate a single cohesive romanization style across the entire site; that would be a headache. As long as it's internally consistent--as in, you're not using "wo" in some places and "o" in others and so on--it will have no bearing at all on your test result.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost247365 View Post
    And will points be taken off if I transliterate a word or phrase that has multiple ways of reading it one way when the other is expected?
    If it's a situation where there's legitimately no way to tell without listening to the song, like for example "明日" as "asu" vs. "ashita," no--since we don't provide audio along with the text, it would be very unfair to ding you for that. However, if you were to transliterate it as, say, "mei hi" or something like that indicating that you were looking at each kanji in isolation, or if it was a verb and you transliterated the kanji in isolation from the stem/failed to recognize it as a verb (like, I don't know, rendering "来ました" as "rai mashita") that would be a mark against you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost247365 View Post
    Finally, if we haven't passed the test is it okay to post in the forum (not as a submission) our attempts to translate songs as we learn? For instance, I have attempted to translate the ending song to Danmachi, "Light Right Rise." Could I posted that attempted translation in the forum for possible input and or corrections; and then, when I do pass the test, make it as an official submission at that time?
    Yes, that's fine. Lyric Discussions is probably the best place for that.

3. Thanks Lost247365 thanked for this post
    Likes Lost247365 liked this post
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365 is a splendid one to behold Lost247365's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Gifts Kill Bill Katana Compass
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-25-2019 07:34 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Re: A few questions about the Japanese Test

ども有り難う御座います
    domoarigatougozaimasu
    Thank you very much!

迷いだということまで私達は自分達を見つけり始まれない

ヘンリーデイヴィッドソロー

5. Likes EJTranslations liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information