Checking up on this film, I was surprised to learn Only Yesterday was originally released in 1991. The lifelike animation is so ahead of other anime I have seen from that era. But again, I would expect no less from Studio Ghibli.

Only Yesterday was not released in the US, however, until 2016. Disney originally owned the American distribution rights, and they objected to the sequence involving the girls’ sex education. Forbidden by their contract with Ghibli from altering the film, they just did not release it. Eventually, Disney sold the rights, and Americans were allowed to see this movie. At least according to imdb.com.

This is the story of Taeko, a woman in her late 20’s trying to find her place in the world. She begins to reminisce about her life as a 10-year-old, and how it made her the woman she is today. The story takes us back and forth in Taeko’s life, until eventually she makes the one decision about her future (as the final credits role, so don't stop watching).

Only Yesterday is directed by the late Isao Takahata, who also directed Grave of the Fireflies, Pom Poko, and The Tale of Princess Kaguya. The film contains true Studio Ghibli artistry, and the animation is outstanding.

The one drawback is that the story does begin to drag a bit when it begins to concentrate more on the adult Taeko. But the ending makes it worth sitting through. No action here. No blood. No profanity. There is some talk about a girl’s menstrual cycle. Basically, we have a nice little slice of life movie.