AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Historical Anime

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Historical Anime

Got any historical anime you like? Look at this:

Baccano! is a good one.

I really don't consider Morobito to be an historical anime, as it takes place in a mythical kingdom.

I haven't seen the others.

Ones that I would include:

Grave of the Fireflies. A real tearjerker, where a teenage boy cares for his little sister during wartime Japan.

The Wind Rises. Intended by Hayao Miyazaki to be his last film before this former retirement (he's working on a new film), this movie is about the man who designed the Zero. It may not appeal to those who still hold a grudge over Pearl Harbor.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shamballa. This movie takes up where the original Fullmetal Alchemist left off. Ed is stranded on an alternate Earth, our Earth, in the year 1923. This is the year of Hitler's failed Beer Hall Putsch, and Ed gets caught in the middle trying to save his world as Nazis try to break through the barrier. Ed is reunited with Al, but what about Winry? Anyway, it is a bit of a history lesson for those unfamiliar with the early years of the Nazi movement -- except for the breaking into alternate dimensions part.

I am thinking of one other anime which takes place in France just before the revolution. A French nobleman joins the secret police to find the murderer of his sister. Sis was an accomplished swordswoman, and she occasionally possesses her brother's body when he is faced with a fight. I can't remember the name, but it is loosely based on a real life French nobleman who lived as a woman, and it does give us a look at 18th century Europe.

Your turn.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    I am thinking of one other anime which takes place in France just before the revolution. A French nobleman joins the secret police to find the murderer of his sister. Sis was an accomplished swordswoman, and she occasionally possesses her brother's body when he is faced with a fight. I can't remember the name, but it is loosely based on a real life French nobleman who lived as a woman, and it does give us a look at 18th century Europe.
    I just remembered the name -- Le Chevalier D'Eon.

Palace of the Fans, Cincinnati

🐮🔪 Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-13-2019 08:41 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Historical Anime

By historical anime, do you mean Japanese animations that are considered major influences on the history of Japanese animation (such as Mahou Tsukai Sally being the first "magical girl" anime)? Or do you mean animes that are based on real-world historical events (such as animes in the alternative-history genre)?
    Click the banner to visit my website.

My website is still under construction, so please visit it often to see it as it grows. You may have to press F5 to refresh the page if there's something new that's not showing (in some rare cases, you may have to use Ctrl+F5). If you wish to contact me about my site and are a member of Animeforum, PM me. If you are just a guest visiting Animeforum, please use [email protected]

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

A response after two months! I guess historical anime is not that popular.

Anyway, I am referring to anime which portray's real historical events.

🐮🔪 Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-13-2019 08:41 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

In that case, I'd have to say I like certain ones, that show alternate-history. Like in Konpeki no Kantai, The WW2 era Japanese get rediculously OP weapons, and conquer the whole world, single-handdedly defeating both the Axis and Allied forces, to become the one most powerful country in the world. Or like in Strike Witches, in this alternate WW2 the countries don't fight against each other, but rather join forces to fight against an alien invasion, with the protagonists being a bunch of magical girls that can fly and shoot big guns.
    Click the banner to visit my website.

My website is still under construction, so please visit it often to see it as it grows. You may have to press F5 to refresh the page if there's something new that's not showing (in some rare cases, you may have to use Ctrl+F5). If you wish to contact me about my site and are a member of Animeforum, PM me. If you are just a guest visiting Animeforum, please use [email protected]

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Animedude5555 View Post
    In that case, I'd have to say I like certain ones, that show alternate-history. Like in Konpeki no Kantai, The WW2 era Japanese get rediculously OP weapons, and conquer the whole world, single-handdedly defeating both the Axis and Allied forces, to become the one most powerful country in the world. Or like in Strike Witches, in this alternate WW2 the countries don't fight against each other, but rather join forces to fight against an alien invasion, with the protagonists being a bunch of magical girls that can fly and shoot big guns.
    The first one sounds like a total Japanese fantasy. As for Strike Witches, the less said the better. Anyway, those are not what I had in mind.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information