AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: For or Against Guns?

Senior Member Digimon____Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon____Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon____Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon____Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon____Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon____Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon____Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon____Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon____Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon____Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon____Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon____Sommelier's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Gabumon
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-17-2018 02:56 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default For or Against Guns?

Q: Are you pro-guns or anti-guns?

I absolutely abhor the use of guns!
    My Wi-Fi, it's gone out . . .

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Rageface
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-20-2018 10:01 PM
    Threads

Default Re: For or Against Guns?

I'm a piano wire guy myself. Silent and deadly.

No, seriously. I do feel it is too easy for the wrong people to get guns. I am not that far from Virginia. A criminal from my state, Maryland, can go to a gun show in Virginia and legally buy as many weapons as he can carry -- no questions asked. There is no limit and no background check at gun shows in Virginia. At gun stores, yes. Gun shows, no.

Senior Member Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 01:10 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Takatofan1986

It's a hard line, imo. If guns are banned, bad guys will still have guns. But it IS way too easy for anyone to get them. Gun shows shouldn't sell them, at least not like that, that's for sure. And you know, there are stories where people save more lives because they have a gun, but those stories don't get a lot of coverage in the media.

There's no easy answer, imo.

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Rageface
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-20-2018 10:01 PM
    Threads

There are also stories about crazy people shooting up schools, night clubs, and so on. An al-Qaeda training manual instructs trainees on how easy it is to get a gun in the US.

Taking guns away from law abiding citizens is not a popular idea among even most gun control advocates. There is no serious proposal to do that. But mandatory background checks, limiting the number of weapons sold to one person at one time, closing the gun show loophole, and banning military weapons outside of the military are all good ideas which do not infringe on the right for you to own a gun for your family's protection. And they are permitted under the Supreme Court's most recent rulings on the Second Amendment.

5. Likes Takatofan1986 liked this post
    Senior Member .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Gifts Ice Cream Laptop 255 - Torchic
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-01-2018 01:41 AM
    Threads

I think you're asking a black and white question to a very grey issue. However, I'll give you my answer as honestly as possible.

I'm for guns in some cases and against them in some others. For example, I believe a law-abiding citizen should have the right own a handgun for self-defence purposes (say, to defend themselves from an armed burglar trespassing on their property). At the same time I believe a person with a serious criminal record or severe mental illness should not be allowed to own such a weapon. The problem however is enforcement. Consider the scenario of a severely mentally ill person whom is not allowed by law to own a gun. This would mean they'd be less protected than the average person since they'd be deprived of a right based on a condition that isn't their fault. If we're going to democratically agree that such persons should not own such weapons, then fine, but then from a moral perspective, surely the onus is on society and government to compensate for their lack of protection, and of course, this might incur higher taxes.

The wide availability of projectile weapons in general is also a massive problem, but it will persist as long as (mostly western) governments keep supporting terrorism by selling weapons to countries with very different cultural values and while the arms trade exist. Even if all guns were somehow obliterated, individuals, tribes and nations with opposing views would still find ways to kill each other. If we're ever going to address the problem of guns I think questioning the aforementioned entities would be a good starting point. After all, people have every right to question any authority who claims to be their protectors, and they shouldn't be treated as ethereal, moral elves who are considered above the law and accountable to no-one. They are merely a collection of mortal, not so pretty looking goblins with self-serving interests of their own, and thus, just as prone to corruption as anyone else if not more so. If for no other reason, the right to own a gun is vital to protect one from an authority that, given the opportunity and with no fear of retaliation, wouldn't hesitate to turn into a tyranny as soon as a people's real defences have been stripped from their hands.
    Last edited by .:neuko:.; 09-02-2018 at 06:20 PM.

7. Likes Nephthys, Takatofan1986 liked this post
    Senior Member Digimon____Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon____Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon____Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon____Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon____Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon____Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon____Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon____Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon____Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon____Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon____Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon____Sommelier's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Gabumon
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by .:neuko:. View Post
    I think you're asking a black and white question to a very grey issue. However, I'll give you my answer as honestly as possible.

I'm for guns in some cases and against them in some others. For example, I believe a law-abiding citizen should have the right own a handgun for self-defence purposes (say, to defend themselves from an armed burglar trespassing on their property). At the same time I believe a person with a serious criminal record or severe mental illness should not be allowed to own such a weapon. The problem however is enforcement. Consider the scenario of a severely mentally ill person whom is not allowed by law to own a gun. This would mean they'd be less protected than the average person since they'd be deprived of a right based on a condition that isn't their fault. If we're going to democratically agree that such persons should not own such weapons, then fine, but then from a moral perspective, surely the onus is on society and government to compensate for their lack of protection, and of course, this might incur higher taxes.

The wide availability of projectile weapons in general is also a massive problem, but it will persist as long as (mostly western) governments keep supporting terrorism by selling weapons to countries with very different cultural values and while the arms trade exist. Even if all guns were somehow obliterated, individuals, tribes and nations with opposing views would still find ways to kill each other. If we're ever going to address the problem of guns I think questioning the aforementioned entities would be a good starting point. After all, people have every right to question any authority who claims to be their protectors, and they shouldn't be treated as ethereal, moral elves who are considered above the law and accountable to no-one. They are merely a collection of mortal, not so pretty looking goblins with self-serving interests of their own, and thus, just as prone to corruption as anyone else if not more so. If for no other reason, the right to own a gun is vital to protect one from an authority that, given the opportunity and with no fear of retaliation, wouldn't hesitate to turn into a tyranny as soon as a people's real defences have been stripped from their hands.

What about the question was black-and-white? It's a simple yes or no question, including your reasons. Please clarify next time.

Senior Member .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Gifts Ice Cream Laptop 255 - Torchic
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-01-2018 01:41 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Digimon____Sommelier View Post
    What about the question was black-and-white? It's a simple yes or no question, including your reasons. Please clarify next time.
    What I mean by your question being "black and white" is that it forces people to give a binary "yes" or "no" answer, and I don't think that's fair since guns are a complex issue and should not be taken lightly. I can't clarify more than that. Maybe if you added some context to your thread I might have interpreted your question more faithfully. At least I gave reasons for my answer; all you posted was a one-liner without so much as a preface.

If I say I'm totally for guns then it means I believe everyone has the right to own a gun, which I don't for the reasons I've already stated. If I say I'm totally against guns then it means I believe no-one has the right to own a gun--except guns don't just simply vanish into thin air, so people would have to trust in some authority to handle them, which again, for the reasons I've already stated, is a bad idea.

Like I said, I'm for guns in some cases and against them in some others; this translates to "yes" and "no" rather than "yes" or "no" to your question; but if you want to interpret my answer as one or the other to suit your flippant attitude to a serious issue that's your prerogative.
    Last edited by .:neuko:.; 09-02-2018 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Minor spelling mistakes/grammar etc.

10. Dislikes Digimon____Sommelier disliked this post
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Gabumon
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It was easy to answer. Yes and no? That’s not a valid response, neuko.

Senior Member Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 01:10 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Takatofan1986

Quote Originally Posted by Digimon____Sommelier View Post
    It was easy to answer. Yes and no? That’s not a valid response, neuko.

Pretty much none of us gave a yes or no answer.

13. Thanks .:neuko:. thanked for this post
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Gabumon
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

A Yes or No reply was the point of the question, Takato. The question wasn't "Are you for and against guns?"

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information