I was really interested in seeing Mary and the Witch’s Flower when it was in the theaters. This is the premier film of Studio Ponoc, founded by former members of Studio Ghibli. Well, make that interested and curious.

Red-haired Mary is sent to live with her Great-Aunt Charlotte, and though she tries to make a go of it, she is rather bored. That is, until Mary finds a magic flower and a broomstick. Suddenly she is whisked away to Endor College, a school for witches, headed by a seemingly gentle and caring Madam Mumblechook. But what she seems is not what Mumblechook is. Eventually everyone’s truth comes out, and Mary is not only in danger, but so is her friend Peter. This story of magic goes back and forth, with twists and turns, but it is well formulated and well told.

The artwork is also very good, and the animation is excellent.

So what is this film missing? It tries to emulate Studio Ghibli. Even their studio logo, a side view of Mary, is reminiscent of Ghibli’s logo of Totoro. The animation style is the same. So is the basic artwork. And that is the problem.

Studio Ghibli made its name by creating a specific art style, and an easily recognizable Ghibli spirit. We can thank studio founder Hayao Miyazaki for that. Miyazaki inspired a certain image and emotion you do not find anywhere else in animation.

Director Hiromasa Yonebayashi obviously learned quite a lot from Miyazaki, and was trusted enough to direct The Secret World of Arrietty and When Marne Was There. But there comes a time when the student must break away from his master and develop his own unique style. Yonebayashi is not quite there yet. I hate to say this, but Studio Ponoc is, at least for the present, an imitator of Studio Ghibli.

Still, Mary and the Witch’s Flower is not a bad film. It is watchable. I will give it a thumbs up. But it only mirrors Ghibli without the Ghibli heart, so it is a good film which could have been much better.