AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: English words that you wish were spelt differently

Senior Member .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2020 04:24 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default English words that you wish were spelt differently

Have you ever stumbled upon a word that you've never read before and thought afterwards: "That was an interesting word, but who in the right mind thought it was good idea to spell it like this?". I mean, I like the English language and all, and I get that it's quite derivative, but it does have some quirks that kind of irritate me.

For example: why is it that some words have repeated consonants while others that perhaps could use them as much don't? Also, why must we add vowels to the end of certain existing words to change the pronunciation of other vowels? And what's the point of silent letters? Call me simple, but I really don't get it.

Personally I don't give two hoots as to how a word looks as long as the spelling is not ambiguous and at least consistent with other words having a similar sound. For example, the words "most" and "toast" sound quite similar, right? Yet one of them is spelt in a way that's inconsistent with the way it's pronounced. Indeed, any person who has never seen the word "most" might mistakenly think that it sounds like the word "cost", which it doesn't, and not like the word "coast" as it does. However, if "most" was rewritten as "moast" this ambiguity would be gone. I'm not calling for a total reform of the English language here, it's just that a little consistency wouldn't go amiss.

So with that said, I was wondering if they were any words that you rather wish were spelt differently? Or could it be I'm just some pedantic spelling nerd? Oh well, feel free to be as imaginative and/or silly as you see fit.

Suggested Format:

"<Write an existing word that you wish was spelt differently here> ---> <Write the same word with your alternative spelling here>

Reason: <Give a reason for your alternative spelling here>" (optional)

Example:

psychology ---> saikoroji

Reason: What can say? "Psychology" is much easier to pronounce now! Well, if you can read romaji that is. :P

Note: It turns out the word "saikoroji" is an actual word despite the fact that I made it up!
    Last edited by .:neuko:.; 05-14-2018 at 07:05 PM.

Senior Member Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts 007 - Squirtle 258 - Mudkip Gabumon
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-11-2024 08:40 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: English words that you wish were spelt differently

Legend —> Lejind

Reason: Any way you spin it, it means something good!
    My Wi-Fi, it's gone out . . .

Look over there ---> Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral has a reputation beyond repute Immoral's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Hyundai Coupe Mario Bowser Shell Mario Blue Shell
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-17-2022 04:00 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: PrinnyBombed

Sword ---> Sord

Reason: Never hear anyone use the W in that word.

🐮🔪 "I'll see it when I believe it" 🐮🔪 ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508 has a reputation beyond repute ZombieWolf2508's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Cookie Cookie Hedgehog
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-16-2023 02:57 PM
    The corner of Everywhere and Nowhere, ya dig?
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: TwilightWolf2508 Steam ID: zombiewolf2508

Conscience -> Conchince

Reason: Hard to remember the correct spelling

Conscious -> Conchiss

Reason: Too close to conchince to remember how to spell it

Millennial -> Milinnial

Reason: honestly easier to remember imo. It's also closer to milinnia
    Last edited by ZombieWolf2508; 05-15-2018 at 01:16 PM.

My mood on a daily basis

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information