AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [News] Windows 10 April 2018 Update available for download

Copyright © 2013 FS FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD's Avatar
    Gil
    Lonely
    Gifts Fuuko Starfish Ice Cream Bamboo Cup
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-19-2023 07:16 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Default [News] Windows 10 April 2018 Update available for download

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft
    With Windows 10, we’ve focused on delivering the most modern and most secure operating system. Since its initial launch, we delivered two updates with features designed to enable the creator in each of us. With our latest major release – the Windows 10 April 2018 Update – we want to give you back some of your greatest currency, your time. Our hope is that you’ll have more time to do what matters most to you – create, play, work or simply do what you love.
    Full article here.

A new Windows version went live today. This time they named it just April 2018 Update. Names, names, names ... one thing Microsoft was never good at. xD

This time my post is going to be really short, since the above article explains the new features so well, that I just can't do it any better, but I'll still highlight the new stuff:
    • Timeline: It is an activity timeline, which allows you to rewind back to what you were doing at specific moments in time. It's important to note, that this is not a backup system, but rather a template system, which allows you to reopen specific app and document combinations with a single click;
    • Nearby Sharing: If you are familiar with Apple products, this is Microsoft's version of Air Drop;
    • Microsoft Edge: As per usual, it got a huge list of improvements and in my opinion also a better user interface;
    • Focus Assist: This isn't a new feature, but a polished one. It allows to switch off Windows notifications during certain activities;
    • Windows Ink: The new version of Windows brings an overall improved Ink experience;
    • Windows Mixed Reality: An out-of-the-box support for VR and AR technologies;
    • Windows Hello: The new Windows version makes it more user friendly and easier to set up.

These are only the features Microsoft thinks worth mentioning. The system was heavily tweaked both visual and functional, but the most frequently used features weren't moved or removed.

As per usual, the update will be available in stages, so don't worry, if you don't get it today. It will come.

Ace Kaitous YOU Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Hat Rayman Baboon With A Gun Bioshock Syringe
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-23-2024 09:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: kaitou ace42 PSN ID: kaitou42 Steam ID: kaitou_ace

Default Re: [News] Windows 10 April 2018 Update available for download

Ah neat. Wonder if that's what my desktop has been whining about. I've been too busy with SkyrimVR to let it update though.

They should have named it Doom4 or something DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Drunk
    Gifts Binoculars Kawaiislice Medkit
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-08-2023 04:46 AM
    Threads

None of these features are gonna make windows10 any less shitty.
    This is the death of windows, right here. Just as people stopped buying nokia, they're gonna stop using windows.
    No ammount of VRbrainwashing glim-glam features are gonna prevent that.

It's never safe to turn off your computer - Silent Strike

4. Likes Nephthys liked this post
    Senior Member .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2020 04:24 PM
    Threads

Something tells me that this so called update won't be optional at some point...

Every time Microsoft rolls out a major update for Windows 10 I get worried. This one time they updated my Windows 10... bigly, and my SSD was about 30GiB worse off. I get that installing a backup copy of Windows 10 is the simplest way to undo a potentially broken update, except that this update did not consider the limited space of my SSD. It's only 118GiB, so storing lots of triple-A games and anime is out of the question. Which is why all of my personal data (pictures, documents, music, videos, downloads etc.) is saved on my larger HDD and only my applications, Windows 10 and projects I'm working on are stored on the SSD. It's not so much that Microsoft just dumped 30GiB of data on my computer that annoyed me than the fact that I was not given any say in where to store the backup copy of Windows 10. At least when you install a typical application the installer normally lets you choose which drive to install it on. This makes sense as it's not always convenient to install some application on a drive with limited space and/or performance. But apparently Microsoft didn't care to consider this when they forced an update with a disk cost greater than that of all my currently installed programs.

Updates aside though, I'm about done with Windows 10. It comes off as a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none OS, and I just can't recommend it for anything beyond the scope of entertainment. For serious content creation, it's not all that reliable and all of its speed and performance is undermined by yet another poorly designed interface. And also, it boggles my mind that for all the updates it receives, it still manages to retain the same annoying bugs and inexplicable limitations. Granted it's heaps better than 8 or Vista, but then again, what kind of bar is that? I once praised this OS, but when I came down to Earth I realised that it's pretty crappy under the bonnet and out of comparison. Psychologically, Windows 10 seems impressive until you realise that you've been conditioned into thinking that a slap in the face is a benefit because it's better than a punch in the face. And yes, I am implying that Windows 8 was the punch designed to condition the consumer into accepting the slap (or rather numerous slaps) from its successor.

For every nice feature Windows 10 has there's about three unwelcome spanners that undo its benefits, whether it's the elusive Control Panel, the Photos app just shutting down with no explanation (yeah I had to discover for myself that Photos doesn't like filenames of a certain length even when File Explorer does), or how a major update restores all your settings to default and you have to go out of your way to disable Cortana (properly) and minimise Microsoft's perverse data collecting. Windows 10 may be the fastest OS on the market (perhaps debatable), but it's no good having a speedy OS if the path to getting your tasks done is about as direct as a politician's speech, not to mention, prone to being altered at the whim of a Windows update. The only reason I'm still using this transformer of an OS is because I'm in the middle of a massive data transfer, but once I'm done with that I'll be emigrating to Linux.
    Last edited by .:neuko:.; 06-13-2018 at 09:46 PM.

6. Thanks DOOM! thanked for this post
+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information