AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Top 5 Anime to Cure Depression

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-22-2024 09:27 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Top 5 Anime to Cure Depression

What anime would you watch if you were depressed and you needed something to lift you out of your depression? No, I am not depressed – at least not at this particular moment. I just thought this might be a good topic for conversation.

My Top 5 in descending order:

5. Bacanno!! This one is pretty violent and bloody, but darkly comic. Though dark, the antics of super-dumb thieves Issac and Miria always makes me smile.

4. FLCL. It would rank higher, but it takes quite a bit of effort to watch this one. Still, FLCL’s total insanity is enough to make anyone forget their troubles. It is fun just trying to keep up.

3. Kill la Kill. Can Ryoko save the world from clothing? Never mind. Little Mako is the heart and soul of this series. The hyperactive Mako is a fun character, if only half-witted. Mako will cheer anyone up.

2. Kill Me Baby. Yasuna is a grade school student who sees classmate Sonya as her best friend. Only Sonya not only wants nothing to do with Yasuna, she is also a highly trained assassin. Watch your wallet when confronting ninja Agiri. And will the Unused Character get her chance?

1. Cromartie High School. Good boy Takashi is mistakenly enrolled in a high school for juvenile delinquents. Gangs run rampant, with their leaders being a robot, a gorilla, and the late Freddie Mercury from Queen. It’s Takashi’s knowledge of yogurt which allows him to eventually become the boss of all gangs. There are plenty of jokes about Japanese culture, but even if they slip by you, this is still a fun show to watch.

Hmmm. This sounds like my “dumb, but fun” list.

Anyway, what anime would you recommend as a cure for depression?

Jackie Coogan, Charlie Chaplin, and Charles Reisner as the Bully.

Reisner was a former pro boxer who turned actor, writer, and director. He previously worked for Chaplin behind the camera on The Gold Rush. Reisner would later become known as a comedy director working with The Marx Brothers, Jack Benny, and Abbot and Costello, among others.

Senior Member Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986 has a reputation beyond repute Takatofan1986's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Mario Ice Flower Gabumon 007 - Squirtle
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-01-2024 10:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Takatofan1986

Default Re: Top 5 Anime to Cure Depression

For me, #2 and #1 were a no brainer for me. But 3-5... I had a harder time because, most of the animes I like have a fair bit of humor but I wouldn't say ARE comedy's, you know? Such as Fullmetal Alchemist/FMA:B It's hilarious at times, but it's not 'a comedy', and defenately not something I would tell people to watch for a laugh, especially with all the dark things in it.

Then there's shows like Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple (That I still prefer the fandubbers original title: History's Strongest Deciple: Kenichi) and Kekkaishi, both of which ARE REALLY funny, but are really sad and deep at times, so I made the decision to keep them off.

(And final note, last night I started watching a 'new' show called Handa-kun... I have a feeling I would have put it on this list, but I've only seen 2 eps so far, so, no comment.)

#5 Oh! Edo Rocket - Set in Edo japan, there is a ban on... I forget atm exactly what.... anything fun? Something to that effect, and fireworks is included, but a kid that makes fireworks does it anyway, which catches the eyes of a girl who isn't what she seems, to ask him to build a rocket that will take her to the moon. Some moments of this do get kind of serious, but over all, theres tons of 4th wall breaking, and random things that don't belong in that time period, like TVs. It's pretty funny.

#4 Ouran High School Host Club - For a LONG time, this was the anime I'd turn on if I just wanted a laugh. Though in 26 eps it does get deeper at times, over all, its pretty lightharted, and very funny.

#3 Space Dandy - He's a dandy guy, In space. Basically a spoof of Cowboy Bebop. even starting with two members and adding another in the first episode (Though I think it was 2 or 3 in CB). Instead of a bounty hunter, he's an alien hunter, trying to get rare aliens registered. He usually gets into funny situations. Don't take this anime seriously and you'll have fun!

#2 The Disastrous Life Of Saiki K. - This is one of the best and by far the funniest anime I've seen in a LONG time. A boy born with psychic powers, and at 16, has to deal with them. One of the best things about this anime, and what makes it work so well, IMO, is that, he's not trying to take advantage of things, or anything (Usually), but more than anything, he is annoyed by his powers, and he wishes he could be normal. When he does use his powers, it usually leads to trouble. It's always hilarious though. One interesting thing is each episode is 4-5 shorts. I was a little off put going into it, but it actually works really well, and there are a few eps where the story continues in the next segment. I highly reccomend giving this a try!

And once again, I will take ANY excuse to talk about the show more people should know about:

#1 Yakitate!! Japan - Though it has a few serious moments, over all it's just dumb fun. (And the first ep is a little slower but important back story). Azuma Kazuma is a baker, who from a very young age, set out to make Ja-Pan! Bread to represent Japan. (The Japanese word for bread is Pan, so calling the bread Japan is, in a way, a bad pun.) Though there are other elements, most of the humor comes from 'Reactions' people have when they eat the bread. They are very dumb, but fun.

(Note, the guy in the clip isn't the main character, but this was the best example I could find a clip of, and he is a regular character.)

Last edited by Takatofan1986; 04-08-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-22-2024 09:27 AM
    Threads

^
    Ouran High School Host Club also has a slow developing, yet still tender, love story between Haruhi and Tamaki. In the series, it never really comes to a full fruition. I understand that it does in the manga. I wish the anime would have continued on to the point where Haruhi and Tamaki realize what the rest of us already know. The way the cling to each other falling off that bridge into the water tells us all. They should have kissed. (Maybe I'm a romantic at heart?)

Space Dandy could have made my list, but I hate to drop Baccano!!.

I just started The Disastrous Life Of Saiki K. I have only seen episodes 1 and 2, so it is a bit early for me to make a judgement.
    Last edited by PictureGuy; 04-08-2018 at 05:56 PM.

Jackie Coogan, Charlie Chaplin, and Charles Reisner as the Bully.

Reisner was a former pro boxer who turned actor, writer, and director. He previously worked for Chaplin behind the camera on The Gold Rush. Reisner would later become known as a comedy director working with The Marx Brothers, Jack Benny, and Abbot and Costello, among others.

4. Likes Takatofan1986 liked this post
    Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-19-2024 05:34 PM
    Threads

Durarara
    \
    Slayers

Nerima Daikon Brothers

My Bride is a mermaid

Ghoststories (English Dub Only)

Last edited by Clayton_n; 04-10-2018 at 06:03 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information