AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: National Anime Song Translation Month 2018

Hybrid View

AnimeLyrics Admin
    EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-25-2020 10:24 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: xenographer Steam ID: xen0glossy

Default National Anime Song Translation Month 2018

Let's try this again! I hope April will be a better month for people; I know I don't have that much going on.

The idea, basically, is to spend a month pushing yourself to translate as many songs as is within your capability. (Despite the name, these don't have to be anime songs specifically--just something that falls within the purview of this site.) If you are a Lv. 2 Contributor to AnimeLyrics and wish to participate, please reply to this thread with your song list (explained below).

The event starts when the clock strikes 12 midnight (00:00) on April 1st in your timezone, and ends at 11:59 on April 30th. This means that different people will have different start and end times.

Incomplete or double submissions do not count. Please do not simply put up lyrics that you have done beforehand, that is against the spirit of this challenge. If the transliteration is not on the site yet, you are allowed to submit the translit before the event starts.

Translations from the event are immune from being replaced via Lyrics Correction for a month.

You will declare a specific target number of submissions (which may be changed anytime before the challenge begins, but not after) that is based on your translating capabilities.

For translators who have been active for two years or less or have fewer than twenty translations on the site, the minimum target is ten songs. (You only have to meet one of these criteria to go for the lower target.) For more senior translators, the minimum is twenty-four. Your target number may be adjusted until the start of the submission period.

In addition, you are to provide a song list adding up to roughly half your target number. This is your Compulsory Songs (CS) set. CS are songs you are committing to having translated by the end of the month. Only one translator participating in the challenge may have any given song on their CS list, and the song cannot already have a translation up on the site (check carefully; one year I missed that five whole songs on my list were already up).

The rest of your target number is made up of Freechoice Songs (FS). Any song you translate during the month of the challenge that's not on your CS list counts toward your FS total. For example, if your target number is thirty-one, you could put sixteen songs on your CS list; you would then need to translate fifteen songs not on your CS list to make your target. (You could also pick fifteen CS songs and leave sixteen as FS, or seventeen and fourteen, as long as it's roughly half-and-half.)

If a song in your CS set has been translated by a non-participant during the event, you will be notified through PM to attempt it within 3 days. If your t/l is judged by an admin to be superior, it will be put up on the site, which will count towards your CS list. If your t/l is inferior, it will not be put up on the site, but will not be struck off your CS list. If you do not respond with a t/l in 3 days, your song will be struck off from the CS list. (NB: This has never actually happened in the time I've been running this challenge, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.)

If a song from your CS set is struck off, you must make it up by translating two FS songs, increasing your target number. For example, if your target number is twenty-four with a CS set of fifteen, and four of those songs are struck off, not only do you have to translate four FS songs to make up for the CS songs you didn't do, you have to translate four extra FS songs, for a total of twenty-eight.

You are allowed to exceed your FS count and thus your target number.

Confirmed Participants (CS/TN):

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Mic Dr Who Tardis Guy Fawkes Mask
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2020 12:43 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Senevir PSN ID: Senevir Steam ID: Senevir

Default Re: National Anime Song Translation Month 2018

I'm probably up for the challenge in April.

Do we really NEED a CS list, though? Can we opt out of having one? I'm more taken to translating whatever song I'm feeling on any particular day.
    If those are the rules though, I'll work with that and think of a CS list.

Come and join me in FFXIV.
    Gaia Data Centre (Valefor) ~ Senevir Vae'talhrin | Chaos Data Centre (Omega) ~ Myrrh'a Afhkaar
    Elemental Data Centre (Atomos) ~ Kharsarnai Khrui | Mana Data Centre (Masamune) ~ Gakuto Ren

Have a lyrics request? Feel free to ask. Specialty - Vocaloid and other doujin music.
    Subject to availability.

AnimeLyrics Admin
    EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hikarin View Post

Do we really NEED a CS list, though? Can we opt out of having one? I'm more taken to translating whatever song I'm feeling on any particular day.
    I don't think there's any reason why it's necessary except by way of "calling" a song so everyone knows you're going to translate it and they shouldn't plan on doing so. If you prefer to be more flexible about what you work on, I think opting out is fine.

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hikarin View Post

I don't think there's any reason why it's necessary except by way of "calling" a song so everyone knows you're going to translate it and they shouldn't plan on doing so. If you prefer to be more flexible about what you work on, I think opting out is fine, just so long as you still have a target number.

Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by bluepenguin View Post
    I don't think there's any reason why it's necessary except by way of "calling" a song so everyone knows you're going to translate it and they shouldn't plan on doing so. If you prefer to be more flexible about what you work on, I think opting out is fine, just so long as you still have a target number.
    Yeah, I highly doubt that anyone will be looking to do the songs that I'd be working on.... I'm fairly deep into the doujin world. Sounds good, then.
    Though it's looking like it might not be going ahead anyway, seeing as I'm the only one who by this point has responded with a nod.
    Even if that happens, I'd like to try pushing to translate at least an entire album in that month. I need to get my mojo back. =x

Edit : Looking below, mayhaps I spoke too soon. xD
    Last edited by Hikarin; 03-14-2018 at 05:56 AM.

Gaia Data Centre (Valefor) ~ Senevir Vae'talhrin | Chaos Data Centre (Omega) ~ Myrrh'a Afhkaar
    Elemental Data Centre (Atomos) ~ Kharsarnai Khrui | Mana Data Centre (Masamune) ~ Gakuto Ren

Have a lyrics request? Feel free to ask. Specialty - Vocaloid and other doujin music.
    Subject to availability.

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-08-2022 08:50 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

The classic conundrum, revising to pass this year or do more translations...
    i think i'll call this a miss, sorry

bambooXZX will become famous soon enough bambooXZX's Avatar
    Gil
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-18-2023 04:37 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

yo I'm down

Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei's Avatar
    Gil
    Psychadelic
    Gifts Favorite Bioshock Syringe Bioshock Eve
    Mentioned
    274 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-27-2019 06:35 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: aozorapen

!!

I wonder if I’ll have the time for it ): job requires me to OT more often than not.

I’m up to get down though, count me in.

できねぇ時?
    そん時ゃ諸共心中だよ

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Okay, that's four people counting me who are willing to give it a shot, which I think is enough to officially say we're going forward with this. So here's my official signup comment:

Target Number: 24

Compulsory Songs (11):

1. Revolutionary Girl Utena - Shuudou Seikatsu * Nari * Nikutai Mokushiroku
    2. Revolutionary Girl Utena - Hengenjizai Hihou Rasen
    3. Revolutionary Girl Utena - My real me is scattered
    4. Revolutionary Girl Utena - Chuusei Kamen -Viseur-
    5. Revolutionary Girl Utena - Chikyuu Keimusho Panoputikon
    6. Final Fantasy Type-0 - UTAKATA
    7. Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Occultics no Majo
    8. I've Sound (KOTOKO)/Parfait - Leaf Ticket
    9. I've Sound (RINA) - successor
    10. Onitsuka Chihiro - Ao no Hakobune
    11. Sakamoto Maaya - Makiba Alice!

Freechoice Songs (13):
    1. Vocaloid (MARETU) - Darling
    2. Kuroki Nagisa - Hasami
    3. Kagerou - Kusatta Umi de Oborekakete Iru Boku o Sukutte Kureta Kimi
    4. Vocaloid (Mafumafu) - Merry Bad End
    5. Vocaloid (Capitaro) - Tenshin Ranman Haikara Hime
    Last edited by EJTranslations; 04-29-2018 at 11:37 PM.

Gil
    Sleepy
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Awesome!

I might add just a few compulsory songs. Just in case.

Target number : 24
    Timezone: AEST (UTC+10)

Compulsory Songs :
    1. Attack on Titan - 心臓を捧げよ!
    2. Vocaloid (solareca) - 神居謡(カムイヨウ)
    3. Vocaloid (ゆうゆ) - 夢渡しの空舟
    4. Vocaloid (azuma) - 遅刻の言い訳
    5. Doujin (奏音69xびす) - ネクロの花嫁
    6. Doujin (少女病) - 瓦礫の終音
    7. Pokemon - I LOVE コイキング
    8. Pokemon - ミミッキュのうた

....and that's about all I'm willing to commit to, or I'll drive myself mad.

Freechoice Songs :
    メノクラゲのうた「ゆらゆらメノクラゲ」
    メタモンのうた「モンモンメタモン」
    ゲンガーのうた『よなよなゲンガー』

Freechoice Half-song :
    奉納舞 (I can't rightly pretend that this is long enough to count for a proper translation)
    Last edited by Hikarin; 04-25-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Subject to availability.

Gil
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Mostly reusing my previous list from that one time I died. Originally I wanted to set a target number to be more than one song per day, but unfortunately a real life event popped up in April, so I'm going to have to dial it down to just barely unreasonable. (´・ω・`)

Time zone: US Pacific (UTC-8)
    Target number: 28

Compulsory Set: 6/14
    01. Angel Beats! 1st beat - Million Star
    02. Dog Days'' - Stay With Me
    03. FLCL - Beautiful morning with you
    04. Gangsta - Renegade
    05. Gangsta - Yoru no Kuni
    06. K-ON! - Lovely Sister LOVE
    07. K-ON! - Prologue
    08. K-ON!! - Hidamari Living
    09. Kakumeiki Valvrave - Mother land
    10. Kantai Collection - Fubuki
    11. Plastic Memories - Ring of Fortune
    12. Rinne no Lagrange - Jersey-bu no Uta
    13. Yanagi Nagi - Ao no Parade
    14. Yanagi Nagi - concent

Freechoice Set: 3/14
    01. School Days - Look at me
    02. Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku - DREAMCATCHER
    03. School Days - Ai no Kakera
    Last edited by bambooXZX; 05-03-2018 at 11:01 PM.

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

And we're off! (Well, we were off two days ago, but close enough.) Remember to update your comments in this thread with links to the translations you've done as they go up on the site.

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

After the first week(ish), here's where we currently stand:

@bambooXZX 2/28 (7%)
    @Hikarin 2/24 (8%)
    @bluepenguin 4/24 (16%)

Unless I missed songs posted by either of you, which is possible. :V

Gil
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

hm, I seem to have made some mistakes in my life, but this is still not too far beyond my expectations for myself :V

I'm actually restarting a lot of old habits right now that died somewhere in the years of NEET daze - as part of the effort to watch anime again, I've begun rewatching some old things, and that ties into how a lot of my planned songs are intended to fill in gaps

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

With five days left to go, here's where we are:

bluepenguin: 9/24 (37%)
    Hikarin: 6.5/24 (27%)
    bambooXZX: 2/28 (7%)

... We can still do it! Or at least make a dent.

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Okay, so, belated thoughts: I'd like to run this challenge again in the future, as I feel it's useful for me, at least, to have the kick in the pants to work on things I've been putting off. However, it's clear from the last few challenges, both in the number of people who've been unable to sign up and in how frequently people have been unable to reach the target number, that most people who are interested don't have time to do 26 translations in a month these days. This being the case, I think next year I'll lower the minimum number considerably in the hopes of getting more people involved and making it easier for people to actually complete the challenge. That said, I'm not sure what a good place to set the minimum would be. 16? 12 and just get rid of the two tiers for more experienced and less experienced translators?

Gil
    Sleepy
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

I would very much like to have another challenge in the future, myself.
    While I didn't complete my goal, I submitted more that what I have probably done in two years or more. I just hadn't had any motivation left. But... it feels like this challenge rekindled something that had lost its flame.
    Since the challenge, I have continued to work on the songs that I did not complete, and others. I feel like I can keep doing so at this pace, as well. It's a welcome relief as although motivation was lacking before, an unanswered wish to do so was there.

I feel like the difference from before and now (aside from website activity), is that everyone is now at a different stage in their lives.
    Before, when I submitted many more translations, I was still in high school. I had a considerable amount of free time.
    These days, many people here have either new jobs or families. Whether or not someone fully intends to do something, there are other factors in their lives that have a greater dictation.

I'd maybe set it at 14. That makes a fortnight worth of translations, if someone were to be translating a song a night. Or, slightly less than once every second day when in comparison with a month.
    Plus, Gandalf says that it's luckier than 13. The number worked to move the company to find the long-forgotten gold and defeat Smaug. Always listen to a wizard. XD

You might even set the challenge to once every 6 months, to make up for the loss in tally.
    Last edited by Hikarin; 05-11-2018 at 04:00 AM.

Subject to availability.

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Yeah, I have a full-time job and I also freelance, so I just don't have as much time to translate as I did when I was in high school or college or was underemployed, and there's a lot of stuff competing for my limited free time. I'm sure a lot of people here are in the same sort of situation.

Fourteen does sound reasonable, and I'd be happy to run it every six months provided there was enough interest.

Gil
    Sleepy
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Very much so.

Well, that's what I was thinking.
    If it's held every 6 months instead of 12, then people are more likely to keep the challenge in the back of their minds, or keep an interest in it at the very least.
    Even if very few people choose to participate, it would help those of us who DO need that little kick of motivation to gain that, and progress at a stable pace once again.
    It's only a theory, but I feel that it could work.

Subject to availability.

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

That's true! I can at least float the idea come September and see if anyone bites.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information