Well, my high school was never like this. At Hyakkao Private Academy, children of the most elite families and the leaders of tomorrow learn their lessons and study hard. But when classes are over for the day, it is all gambling. Overseen by a dictatorial student council, those who lose become “house pets,” the lowest of the low who must do the will of their masters no matter what. Ryota is one of the house pets, but his life changes when he meets a new student named Yumeko.

Kakegurui tells the story of Yumeko as she tears the school to its foundation. Seeing through every trick, cheat and con, Yumeko is in total control – even when she loses. Each game of chance knocks the power structure down another peg. Only Yumeko is in it for the thrill. A complete gambling addict, she gets a sexual pleasure on each risk. A few times it seems she even comes to orgasm. Yeah, this is not for kids.

Kakegurui, like any good gambler, does not telegraph its moves. Despite a lack of action, this anime is tense with excitement. It’s move, counter move, and then checkmate – without the chess.

The artwork is well done. The animation excels at points, but elsewhere is just adequate. Probably the best animation is in the title sequence, which includes some suggestive imagery. But the story and characterizations, and there are some pretty weird characters, more than make up for any technical deficiencies.

Kakegurui is hot, wild and untamed, and so is Yumeko. I really enjoyed this one. Kakegurui gets my recommendation.