AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Top 10 Romantic Anime

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default My Top 10 Romantic Anime

Not anime with a love story on the side, but those anime movies or series where romance is at the front and center. OK, I am not that much into romantic anime, so to come up with 10, I have to stretch it a bit -- but only a small bit.

From number 10 on up:

10. Up From Poppy Hill. High school kids unite to save an historic building on campus. Two fall in love, but the connection may be closer than either suspects. It all works out. Directed by Goro Miyazaki, son of Hayao, who also co-wrote the screenplay.

9. Please!! Teacher. After being in a coma-like state for three years, during which he did not age, 18-year-old Kei looks 15. Misuho is one of Kei’s teachers, and she is an alien. As in a strange visitor from another planet. It gets complicated, but they do get together – and marry. This one is not for kids. The uncensored version has nudity and sexual situations, including a silhouette of one of the girls in Kei’s class having sex with a teacher. They get away with this in Japan?

8. Five Centimeters Per Second. This one loses some points because the ending is an emotional downer. Basically, Takaki and Akari are childhood sweethearts separated by their parents’ moving to different towns. Though they try to stay in touch, the physical distance effects the emotional distance. Akari goes on with her life, but Takaki can’t get over his lost love. The story is in the development of their emotions.

7. Midori Days. Remember the series Parasyte? A guy wakes up to discover his one arm is possessed by an alien monster? Midori Days is about the same, except instead of a monster, it is a cute high school girl. Seiji has the reputation of being the bad a-ss of his school. So much so that everyone, including girls, are afraid of him. And all Seiji wants is a girlfriend. Midori, who has loved Seiji from a distance, soon becomes his right hand – literally.

6. Stepped Up Love Story. Not quite hentai, but it comes close enough to be certainly not for little kids. Two virgins in their late 20’s, with little knowledge of sex, marry each other. This is a short series. In the first half, they learn how to give pleasure to each other. In the second half, they become mentors to a younger couple. Yes, there is sex and nudity, but it is quite sweet.

5. Rumbling Hearts. Boy, Takayuki, meets girl, Mitsuki. They fall in love. But then tragedy changes everything. Any more would be spoilers. Let’s just say, this one is a pretty good tearjerker.

4. Lunar Legend Tsukihime. Boy meets vampire princess. Although much of the anime is more in the supernatural thriller mode, there is a real love story going on here. Shiki can’t quite remember, but it seems he may have attacked some girl slashing her to pieces. But it’s OK. The girl, Arcueid, is actually a vampire and can’t die that way. These two are made for each other. I promise it is better than it sounds.

3. Millennium Actress. A legendary actress, late in her live, reveals her past to a young documentary filmmaker. It seems her search for her long lost love is the cause of her movie career.

2. Your Name. Big city schoolboy Mitsuha and small town school girl Taki suddenly find themselves exchanging bodies. This has all the makings of a typical high school anime series with the usual jokes. But this one is a movie, and the story takes a sudden turn when Mitsuha discovers that Taki is in danger after falling in love with her. What follows is a frantic effort to save Taki’s live, only will Mitsuha still lose her forever?

1. Your Lie in April. This series is a real tearjerker, right down to the final scene. Musical prodigy Kousei learned his art from an abusive mother. When she dies, Kousei loses the ability to hear the music from his piano forcing him to leave the competitive stage. But a free spirited girl named Kaori leads him back to the music he loves. Only Kaori just may have a tragic secret which can drive Kousei back into his shell. The animation for this series, especially the music scenes, are well above the standard for anime series.

As I am not a great fan of romantic anime, though they are good for a change of pace, I am sure I did not consider many which should have been on this list. List your favorites and tell us a bit about them.
    Last edited by PictureGuy; 11-23-2017 at 06:49 PM.

Palace of the Fans, Cincinnati

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information