AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 0と1との境界線

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-25-2023 08:47 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default 0と1との境界線

Full lyrics with a provisional translation on my website where you can also hear the song on the ▶ tab. Can anyone help with some points of interpretation? I don't want to influence your opinion so I won't say much yet.
    1. Can anyone figure out what the 不条理な地図 represents?
    2. About 人は今も活きるか睡りにつくか / 二つの選択肢, I'm wondering whether 活きる suggests live as in "exhibit activity" rather than actual life. Also, I'm thinking 人 is the one who has the two options, but 僕 (the narrator) is the implied subject of 活きる and 睡りにつく. Any thoughts to the contrary?
    3. から at the end of the last three verses. Can anyone figure out what thoughts are connected and how? I'm struggling a lot.
    4. I can't parse the last verse properly. 0と1との間に隠れてる真実 / まだ僕の知らない君に会えるから I've translated literally as "The truth that lies hidden in the gap between 0 and 1 / because I can get to meet you whom I don't know yet." However, that doesn't make sense to me in either language ...
    Help??

Junior Member Tchailenova is on a distinguished road Tchailenova's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-05-2017 11:02 PM
    Threads

Default Re: 0と1との境界線

Heya! I took a peek and a listen. What a great song it's very Ren-ish Here's what I've come up with

This ended up pretty long and a bit like a wall of text due to my explanations and musing, so I've color coded it so you can find the translations more easily. Green is for direct lyric translation changes, pale orange is for the Japanese lyrics, and blue is for everything else
    ^_~*

Answers
    1. 不条理な地図 I think it comes closer to 'inconsistent map' or 'confusing map' and sometimes even 'frustrating map'(but your translation gets close enough to the right feeling so it's your choice) ^_~*
    2. In this instance 活きか眠りにつくか is just talking about 'either going and living life or just sleeping it away' - and because he's a program (hence the references to binary and resetting to 0's all over the place) i think the 活きる is referencing a program being used/run and the 眠りにつく is referencing idleness or just not being run (lit. 'sleep mode'). Whether you choose to parse those implications as 'to exhibit activity' is subjective, but I would not - especially since this program is plenty alive (like a proper animate object) to parse 活きる as actual life.
      2b. So, here just means 'people in general' (and Ren is 'referencing' people like him, i believe), but 僕 (as we see in the full context of the song) does not actually have the power to choose - despite being the subject of both 活きる and 眠りにつく. I'm not sure it changes anything in word choice, but it does add some interesting nuance.
    3. Ah, yes, から can be quite tricky to parse. As I explain in some of my translation notes below (which I wrote before this part, whoops!) I mention から's use as a reason/cause marker. Let's tackle them one verse at a time. By the way, sometimes a Japanese song will provide a reason and offer that up as an underlying cause of the problems the song has been laying out as a whole, usually this is done near the end.
      3a. This verse's から references the whole of the second line, but I don't think it's in reference to the first line. たどり着けない contains more nuance than 'cannot reach our destination', but I can't figure out how to smoothly include the 'struggle' inherent in the phrase. Anyway, the line 'i'm lost in bewilderment and can't get there' seems to me to reference the core problems Ren is having in the song, namely that he can't make contact with 君 (the user of the program) and can't get a straight answer. If I try to make it reference the first line of that verse, it doesn't really work because the first line is marked as the subject of the second line (by は) - they are the people who are lost and struggling.

3b. This verse's から is much more tricky, but I think I have a resolution. 'I just don't need this 不条理な地図 anymore' is the translation I landed on. It seems to me that Ren is giving up on using the map because it hasn't been useful to him at all (hence もういらない), which is why he's wondering whether he could find 君 easier 'if someday I come to know everything,' because he'll have stopped using the useless/frustrating/confusing map.

3c. This verse, man, this verse. I don't even know XD Even though I don't know what he means when he says it, your translation is the closest/best I could come up with.
      Oh! I did some research and 真実 is sometimes translated as 'reality' so, maybe if the first line is translated as 'reality lies hidden in the gap between zero and one' and then if the second line were translated as 'then i could meet the you I don't yet know.' maybe??
    4. 4. I think I tackled this one in 3c, whoops XD

other translation notes:
    I would translate the second verse's 迷い道 as 'bewildering paths' as 迷う tends to carry the implications of 'being lost' or having 'lost one's path' and turning that verb into an adjective transfers those properties to the road. The road becomes something that has lost its way, or maybe (depending on context/intent) the road(s) itself makes you lose your way. 'Wandering paths' in this sense only convey a sense of 'taking one's time' rather than the full meaning of 'getting lost all the time and therefore it takes forever and causes one to wander about'

In the third verse, I would change 'because' to 'but'. Even though から is there and it is often transliterated as 'because', it merely marks the reason for something (here it marks the, 'reason for why something can't happen'). It makes more sense to follow a positive statement of 'find you easily' with 'but I can't find you with this 不条理な地図' which implies well enough that the map is the problem.

The fourth verse's second line is missing the nuance from まだ and 'can' doesn't really belong. まだ implies 'something hasn't occurred yet (but it could in the future)' and so 'is a dream that no one has yet known or found' is a closer translation.

Final thought on the mysterious から of the three final verses:
    I tried connecting the third-to-last verse's から with the first two lines of the second-to-last verse, and came out with:
    'Because we who live in the gap between 0 and 1 are lost in bewilderment and cannot reach our destination, if one day I could come to know everything, would you be easy to find?'

The following から wouldn't connect to the last verse, though, so I'm not sure that's a pattern. But I do like the translation I got when I connected the third-and-second-to-last verses as above. I'm not sure, but the second two lines of the second-to-last verse would probably resolve as 'I don't need this 不条理な地図 anymore' - but that line's から remains mysterious to me.
    Last edited by Tchailenova; 04-23-2017 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Color Coding (Sorry, not sorry)

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu has a reputation beyond repute Raichu's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-25-2023 08:47 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Thanks so much for your thoughts. There's a lot there so it will take me time to digest, but very helpful. Oops fourth verse was a mistranslation, thanks for picking that up.

I forgot that 真実 can mean reality as well as truth, which helps things to make more sense. Len, living in an electronic world, only knows 0 and 1. 真実 represents the world outside the electronic world, the world of reality, where 君 resides. That was my interpretation anyway, but it helps connect the dots.

My question about the map was intended to mean, is the map an allegory or metaphor for something? Why is it inconsistent? NB 不条理 can also mean absurd if that helps. I picked "illogical" to try to span both senses.

Junior Member Tchailenova is on a distinguished road Tchailenova's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-05-2017 11:02 PM
    Threads

ehehe, yeah. I tend to kindof info-dump when it comes to this sort of thing XD I can get pretty passionate.

Your interpretation of outside world/electronic world/reality makes sense to me. I would be interested to know レン's opinions on which he thinks is 'reality' (but i get the feeling, from his yearning, that it would probably be the 'outside' world) XD

Ah, yeah. I kinda misunderstood the map question, sorry about that I would say it's a metaphor, but I'm not really sure what 'physical' thing he's referring to. I have known a few vocaloid songs to lament about their user's inconsistency in how often they run (or don't run, as the case more often is) the vocaloid program, so maybe it's a reference to that?

Seeing your explanation for choosing 'illogical' for 不条理 makes sense to me. Definitely feel free to keep it. It's on that level of nuance/context word choice anyway

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information