AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Red Turtle (2016)

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-18-2024 09:00 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Smile The Red Turtle (2016)

Here’s a first for Studio Ghibli. It’s a film directed by someone who is not Japanese. The Red Turtle is the first feature film from Dutch born animator Michael Dudok de Wit. It’s a fairy tale fantasy about life itself told with virtually no dialog. That is one ambitious effort, and it totally works.

The film begins with a storm at sea. A lone man is washed up on an uninhabited island. His only companions are a colony of clams, which significantly decreases in size as the story progresses. But as we will learn, such is life.

The man tries several times to raft his way off the island, only to be frustrated by a giant red turtle. Eventually, the man gains the upper hand turning the turtle on his back. Revenge is complete. But then comes a totally unexpected plot twist. Is it real or fantasy? I will tell no more.

Technically, I would not consider this an anime. It is not in an anime style, though the background art does show the Ghibli influence. But anime or not, the work is well done. Characters seem real enough as the audience feels for all.

Though there is nothing you probably would object to having a child see, the storyline is a bit complex. Some young kids might get it. Some would not. Regardless of age, the ending strikes an emotional chord for all.

I recommend The Red Turtle, playing now in limited US release.

2. Likes RunnerNoah liked this post
    Member kaufen is on a distinguished road kaufen's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-29-2017 06:05 AM
    Threads

Default Re: The Red Turtle (2016)

The dialogue-less film follows the major life stages of a castaway on a deserted tropical island populated by turtles, crabs and birds.
    Last edited by kaufen; 01-28-2018 at 02:50 PM.

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-18-2024 09:00 PM
    Threads

Default Re: The Red Turtle (2016)

I just finished re-watching The Red Turtle for the first time in five years. (Have I been here that long?)

The only thing I have to add is that even with knowing the story, the film is still as poignant and bitter-sweet as the first time I watched it. It is not what most people view as the anime style (and yes I know anime is Japanese for animation), and not what you expect from Ghibli. But I still recommend it more now than when I first wrote about it above.

Jackie Coogan, Charlie Chaplin, and Charles Reisner as the Bully.

Reisner was a former pro boxer who turned actor, writer, and director. He previously worked for Chaplin behind the camera on The Gold Rush. Reisner would later become known as a comedy director working with The Marx Brothers, Jack Benny, and Abbot and Costello, among others.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information