AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Open Your Eyes

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-08-2022 08:50 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

Default Open Your Eyes

http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/occ...enyoureyes.htm

All lines with:
    "ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR, FIVE, SIX, SEVEN, EIGHT, NINE"
    While Kasi-Time (http://www.kasi-time.com/item-80263.html) agrees with this, it is pretty clear ( ) that the "eight" is effectively omitted.
    Original singer confirms this in interview (http://news.nicovideo.jp/watch/nw2521596):
    「レコーディングのときに“もっとネイティブな発音で”って言われたので、“セブン・エイト・ナイン”が“ セベンナイ”みたいになっちゃって、エイトが聞こえなくなっちゃった」といった話を打ち明けて盛り上がった 。
    Was wondering what we should do [if anything] in this case.

Also 7th line on final stanza "mitsumeau" is incorrectly written as "mitsuau" in kanji and romaji (check with Kasi-Time link above).

AnimeLyrics Admin
    EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-25-2020 10:24 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: xenographer Steam ID: xen0glossy

Default Re: Open Your Eyes

This is a bit of an unusual situation, but since she very clearly doesn't sing "eight" and the romaji lyrics should be able to be used as a guide for singing along, I'm going to go ahead and remove "eight". Maybe we should have a footnote about it?

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    tetrix1993 is on a distinguished road tetrix1993's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-19-2017 12:46 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: tetrix1993

From what I hear, she shortened the "seven" to just "sev", or simply saying "seven" very quickly, then "eight". But since the interview confirms it, it should be okay to remove it, but it would be better to put a footnote to explain the omission.
    I will be away indefinitely until further notice. If I have made any mistakes in transliteration, feel free to correct it without my acknowledgment. If you need to contact me, contact me through these websites below as I am active there:
    My Anime List | MyFigureCollection

AnimeLyrics Admin
    EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

I've added a footnote--@tetrix1993 , @Fuukanou , what do you think?

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou has a reputation beyond repute Fuukanou's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by bluepenguin View Post
    I've added a footnote--@tetrix1993 , @Fuukanou , what do you think?
    I personally believe that you should leave the eight in square brackets and leave the footnote with a link to the interview saying something like "the original singer didn't sing the word, even though the official lyrics still contain it" (unless obviously square brackets are used for formatting on the site and can't be used in the lyrics). That's the done thing in quotes right, when you want to put in something that wasn't said?

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

That's true, and square brackets can be used because the lyrics pages are formatted with HTML rather than bbcode, but I do think it might trip people up if they're trying to use the romanized lyrics to sing along?

I've added the link to the interview, though.

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Gil
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by bluepenguin View Post
    That's true, and square brackets can be used because the lyrics pages are formatted with HTML rather than bbcode, but I do think it might trip people up if they're trying to use the romanized lyrics to sing along?

I've added the link to the interview, though.
    Agreed with it being somewhat confusing, especially with the parentheses for backing vocals. Had they not been there, it would have definitely been a more favourable solution.

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

@tetrix1993 , do you have a strong preference between including it in square brackets and leaving it out? It's your translit, so I think you should get the final say.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    tetrix1993 is on a distinguished road tetrix1993's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-19-2017 12:46 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: tetrix1993

I think it should be left out. Since people are using the lyrics to sing along, it would make sense to leave it out to avoid singing the omitted words. People will most likely notice the missing "eight". Before they think it is a mistake, they will notice the explanation at the bottom and will then understand the omission.
    I will be away indefinitely until further notice. If I have made any mistakes in transliteration, feel free to correct it without my acknowledgment. If you need to contact me, contact me through these websites below as I am active there:
    My Anime List | MyFigureCollection

AnimeLyrics Admin
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by tetrix1993 View Post
    I think it should be left out. Since people are using the lyrics to sing along, it would make sense to leave it out to avoid singing the omitted words. People will most likely notice the missing "eight". Before they think it is a mistake, they will notice the explanation at the bottom and will then understand the omission.
    Okay, thanks!

Closed Thread

Thread Information