AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Puella Magi Madoka Magic The Movie: Rebellion

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2024 08:08 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Thumbs up Puella Magi Madoka Magic The Movie: Rebellion

Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Movie: Rebellion is the third movie based on the anime series. The first two were really rehashes of the original series, retelling the story with few differences. This time we get an entirely new story. But is this where the tale ends?

We start off by seeing Madoka and her fellow Magical Girls team up to destroy the Nightmares attacking their city. They seem to be having a lot of fun being an unbeatable group of four. And Mami has a pet named Bebe, who is. . . . Some sort of creature. Life is good for these happy school girls, and then they get a new member. Her name is Homera, dark haired, shy and with glasses. So now the team of five goes off to save their town and have fun, fun, fun.

OK. This is where you have your WTF moment. This is entirely different from where the series and the two movies left off. What is going on here? Where is the darkness? Where is the angst? Nothing seems to fit with what we have seen before. About forty-five minutes into the film, Homera starts noticing and asking questions. That is when it gets pretty hairy. This is not the real world. It is a surrealistic dream. But who is behind it? A witch? An Incubator? Or maybe even one of the Magical Girls? Is this dream a trap?

There are several surprise twists and turns along the way, including past the ending. DO NOT STOP WATCHING DURING THE CREDITS! There is one more scene after the credits roll which leaves everything up to debate.

The story-line does get confusing, especially with that final post-credit scene which comes out of nowhere. We have no idea what lead up to it. Maybe we will see in the next movie? The story development does seem to leave things open for a fourth film, although it has been three years since Rebellion came out. It is hard to imagine writer/creator Gen Urobuchi leaving the story as is. It still cries out for another finale.

As this is a movie, there is more of an effort in the animation than for a series, though it may not meet the standards of other feature films. The artwork though is outstanding giving us an unreal dream world as background.

Despite the confused plot line, I still liked Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Movie: Rebellion. It may not totally recapture the darkness of the original series, but it comes close enough. The twists and turns keep you interested. And the ending will have Madoka fans debating.

No nudity. No profanity. Some violence. There is some talk of death. Suitable for pre-teen and older. Just do not watch until you have seen the series, or at least the first two movies.
    Last edited by PictureGuy; 09-08-2016 at 10:34 PM.

Moderator Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Moon Crescent Wand Wine Kangaroo
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 04:32 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Puella Magi Madoka Magic The Movie: Rebellion

Those transformation scenes though.... Loved this movie.

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I am beginning to wonder if this was better than the series. But as for the transformation scenes, they went on a bit long. A Nightmare could do a lot of damage while those girls were changing. But then again, maybe that is a clue about the reality or unreality we are seeing. Either way, great artwork.

I want a fourth movie which tells us what happens between the final scene before the credits and the scene after! If there are enough people who saw the film maybe we can start a separate thread with a warning about spoilers. Anyone willing to respond to such a thread? If so, I will start it.

BTW, I just did some editing to my original post. I had to take out the "no blood" comment. I forgot a key scene where. . . .
    Last edited by PictureGuy; 09-04-2016 at 05:05 PM.

Junior Member NathanaelTillman is on a distinguished road NathanaelTillman's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-07-2016 05:12 AM
    Threads

Disobedience is the third motion picture taking into account the anime arrangement. The initial two were truly repeats of the first arrangement, retelling the story with couple of contrasts.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by NathanaelTillman View Post
    Disobedience is the third motion picture taking into account the anime arrangement. The initial two were truly repeats of the first arrangement, retelling the story with couple of contrasts.
    I can find no reference to a movie called Disobedience. You do mean Rebellion, right? I noted the first two movies being reworks of the series in my review.

Reservoir n00b Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Floppy Fox 149 - Dragonite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-23-2019 10:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: xtycke

Just because there hasn't been anything new in a few years doesn't mean it's out of the question. Not anime but shows like Rocco's Modern Life and Invader Zim have movies the the works to wrap them up. Not only that but we're also seeing a new Fruits Basket to wrap up that series properly.

I have hope that something new will come up if not now in a few years.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I a hoping as well. A lot must have happened during the credits.

The way Homura jumped at the end, it looked more like she was letting herself fall headfirst. Suicide?

Jarry Park, Montreal

Reservoir n00b Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Floppy Fox 149 - Dragonite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-23-2019 10:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: xtycke

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    I a hoping as well. A lot must have happened during the credits.

The way Homura jumped at the end, it looked more like she was letting herself fall headfirst. Suicide?

Absolutely. And I think the movie is hinting that, in her doing so, the old cycles will come back where magical girls become witches (which she might want - for things to go back to the way they were). I'm not sure if Homura understands the laws of cycles enough to know that this will happen or if Homura is just so filled with grief that she can't be with her friends. Also, we don't know during the credits if Homura's world actually did help anything so it's also possible that she's the one who destroys their happy lives. Or maybe Homura outlives them all not being a real human anymore?

I think by 2023 we might see a finale. Or at least I hope so.
    Last edited by Tycke; 02-27-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Something major happened during those closing credits. I could come up with a dozen or more scenarios, and I bet so could you. We need a fourth movie!

Jarry Park, Montreal

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information