AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spice and Wolf, Season 1

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Smile Spice and Wolf, Season 1

Once upon a time, Lawrence the Peddler was about to leave a small town to resume his travels. When who did he find sleeping in his wagon? A naked girl! With a tail and furry ears! She is Holo the Wise Wolf, and so begins our tale of Spice and Wolf.

OK, what about Holo? She is a wolf spirit who generations ago made a bargain with a small village to care for their wheat crop. Though in some years, she let the wheat come in poorly in order not to wear out the land. Overall the town prospered, but now it has outgrown the old legend. Holo then hitches a ride with Lawrence to return to her home in the north.

What we get is a very entertaining road buddy story, though there is obviously an underlining attraction between Holo and Lawrance which goes beyond being buddies. They are not a perfect match, but they do develop bonds. And yes, Holo eventually wears clothes, though it is never questioned why a wolf spirit would have a giant fox tail and ears. I guess fox tails look better.

The series is somewhat reminiscent of Kino’s Journey, although with more of a story and not as boring. Along the way, there are adventures, old friends, new friends, and betrayal. It is a dangerous, risky world for an ambitious traveler.

The characterizations are very good. Lawrence is basically a nice guy, though not ashamed to get the advantage of a deal, including smuggling gold. Holo likes to act tough, but can’t keep her true caring nature to come through. She does not hold back when striking at enemies, but will not let her animal instincts take full control and kill at will.

The artwork is great with a fine use of color schemes. The animation is also very good, by TV standards. Yes, there are some obvious cost cutting shortcuts, but we see those in every series.

I would like to see season 2, but Netflix does not have it. YouTube does, but the video quality is awful, and the episodes seem chopped up. I could see it on Hulu and elsewhere, but it would involve buying another subscription. Right now, my YouTube DVD and streaming are enough.

There is non-sexual nudity. Quite a bit of non-sexual nudity. The violence is rare and not extreme. Spice and Wolf is suitable for young teens and up, and for adults. I liked it!

Reservoir n00b Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Floppy Fox 149 - Dragonite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-23-2019 10:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: xtycke

Default Re: Spice and Wolf, Season 1

So, while watching Rising of the Shield Hero I can't help but notice some similarities between the two shows in many ways. How do you feel about the blatant similarities between Lawrence/Naofumi and Holo/Raphtalia?

Also, in regards to Holo's fox-like appearance, it may be that she's modeled after a maned-wolf?

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I don't think Holo is similar to Raphtalia in meaningful ways.

Holo has somewhat of a superiority complex. She looks down on humans, because she has been around for ages and has seen many generations of humans pass by. She's also the type to get self satisfaction by saying very cynical things. Yes, it's true that she is intelligent and honest, but I think it's spoiled by her belittling of humanity. One thing I vaguely remember is Holo telling Lawrence that she has had many lovers in the past, some of which lasted until the human got too old and died. It felt as though she was implying that Lawrence would be just another notch in the bed post since a human lifetime commitment is not very significant for her.
    I just don't like her character or her attitude that much.

I found Lawrence to be much more likable. He is intelligent, and it doesn't prevent him from seeing things in a positive light. I remember there being a parts in the story where Lawrence will dig himself deeper into the hole he is in because he is too stubborn to ask Holo for help. The thing is, I can easily see why he would fear that Holo would abandon him once he became down on his luck. There are parallels between Naofumi and Lawrence. They're both merchants. They both have moments where they have to deal with betrayal. They both have to deal with hitting very low points where they don't feel they can trust anyone. Their situations are fundamentally different though because the Shield Hero carries his reputation wherever he goes, while Lawrence is like a new man with each town he visits.

4. Thanks Tycke thanked for this post
    Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I have never even heard of Rising of the Shield Hero, so I cannot answer your question.

Reservoir n00b Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke has a reputation beyond repute Tycke's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    I have never even heard of Rising of the Shield Hero, so I cannot answer your question.
    I think it's pretty great. It's the anime my avatar, Raphtalia, comes from.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Tycke View Post
    I think it's pretty great. It's the anime my avatar, Raphtalia, comes from.
    I thought that was a picture of you.

I do resemble my current avatar.

Gil
    Sleepy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    I thought that was a picture of you.

I do resemble my current avatar.
    To be fair, I'm a ginger, so fellow gingers in anime tend to appeal to me.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information