AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aldnoah:Zero

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-22-2024 09:27 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Thumbs up Aldnoah:Zero

If you engage me in a conversation about Mobile Suit Gumdum: Iron Blooded Orphans, I may get a bit confused. Like many of you, I am watching it now on Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim. Where I might get confused is because it is very similar to another anime I just finished watching – Aldnoah.Zero. The main difference between the two mecha series is that Aldnoah.Zero is better. A lot better. Especially in the way it takes various sub-plots and brings them into the main story.

The backstory: Mankind colonizes Mars, where the Martian colonists discover aldnoah energy, a technology created by a lost race. This gives them the technological, and thus military edge over earth. After breaking away from Earth, and after a war, an uneasy peace ensues for a few decades.

Now comes the young, beautiful and idealistic Princess Asseylum, heir to the empire established on Mars. Her dream is to bring peace between Martians and their Terrain (that’s Earth) cousins. But while on Earth, she escapes an assassination attempt, which leads to war. Asseylum finds a haven with a group of war refugees, which includes a group of teenage cadets who are pressed into military service.

Included in these cadets is Inaho, who seems to have a inborn sense for military tactics. Inaho’s genius saves his comrades time and again. And he forms a relationship with Asseylum.

Meanwhile back on Mars, there waits Slaine, an Earth-born Terrain, who serves and loves Asseylum. Despite their friendship, he is nothing more than a slave. Slaine has all the makings of a classic hero – unless he lets his desire for revenge get in the way and makes the wrong choices. Which way will the story go?

Towards the series end, several possible outcomes are telegraphed to the viewer. Which one is the real ending? It kept me guessing.

The battle sequences are well done, and are about as good as any I have seen. Though I usually do not go in for mecha anime, I did find the battles impressively animated.

The series also benefits from several interesting characters, many of whom could have carried the series themselves, from the betrayed Martian girl, to the hard drinking combat officer, to the hard nose female captain, and so on.

The only weakness is the awkward transition from season one to season two. But after that dust settles, the series hits its stride again.

Thumbs up on Aldnoah.Zero. This one I recommend.

Member Icenine9 is on a distinguished road Icenine9's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-30-2016 07:30 PM
    Threads

Default Re: Aldnoah:Zero

I really enjoyed this series. I initially did not care for the artwork but it had that great story that I always search for in a good amime. Sidebar, I finished Red Garden. I'm glad I watched it but I did not get that sense of fulfillment that I expect when a show is over.

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I thought the artwork was no better or worse than most mecha/sci-fi series. But the battle sequences made up for it.

I have not gotten to Red Garden yet. I will.

Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I hear you. I didn't mean it was bad but you and I like many of the same attributes that we think add up to a well done anime. I was contrasting the art with that of Fate Zero where the animation has more of that serious tone. Monster had this as well by the way. AZ was fantastic and complex. It wasn't as black and white, good vs. evil as many shows are and I really liked that.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

What I found interesting was

Slaine's descent from good to evil.

You mentioned Monster. It has been a while, but I remember the artwork to often (not always) show more of a normal setting. Something terribly evil existed in what we would consider a safe area; i.e., a hospital, a family home, a small town. Kind of what Hitchcock would often do in his movies. That was a great series.

You seem to like the darker anime. You have good taste. Like me! Just kidding.

Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yes, a good story line is key but I don't think I'm explaining my idea of what I prefer on the artwork. I think I've said before I like a more mature look. Examples would be Fate Zero, Ghost in the Shell, and most recently Red Garden. I know you haven't seen that one but you posted a screen shot that perfectly depicts what I like. AZ was fantastic and very close but not quite there for me art wise, but the story was really good and cheaters never revert to a child-like manner in certain scenes. Example, FLCL. I really enjoyed this show and I accept it for what it was but a show like Claymore (although the ending seemed to be lacking) stayed very consistent even when a character became emotional.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information