AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cosplay 101

Moderator Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Moon Crescent Wand Wine Kangaroo
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 04:32 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Cosplay 101

The lovely @blueangel06661 suggested it would be a good idea to have a thread about cosplay tips and resources and such so here goes! Please feel free to add your own or ask questions. I'm certainly not an expert on cosplay, but after a few years, here's some things I've learnt.

Let's start with the costume. It doesn't matter if you buy it or make it. Seriously. If you can sew, and decide to make it, I suggest using a pattern that is similar to what you want, and just alter it as needed. Mock-ups out of spare fabric are a great idea. And don't be afraid to ask for help. All of my hand-made cosplays had a lot of help from my Mum. She's much more experienced with sewing than me. And be prepared for it to take time and patience. If it gets too frustrating, just walk away. Come back to it when you're ready.
    If you buy your cosplay, it will likely be from somewhere in Asia. As their sizes run small, I recommend figuring out which size you need and then buying the size UP from that. If it's too big, it's very easy to make it smaller. But if it's too small that's much more difficult.

Once you've got your costume, CHOOSE A WIG. If you've chosen a character with similar hair to your own, still wear a wig. Trust me I've tried with my own hair (and I have LOTS of hair) but it's just not the same. Anime hair is big and bright and only a wig can really give you that look. Also, it will make your face look smaller :-) I get most of my wigs from eBay. I steer clear of the really cheap ones, but there's certainly no need to spend $100 or so. I usually spend $30-$40 AUD and get something decent.

Finally I want to talk about make-up. I'm not great with make-up as I only wear it when I cosplay. I usually YouTube a couple of tutorials for the look I want, and I always do a practice run or 2. If your character is female - false eye-lashes are a must. I could go into this a lot more, but I don't wanna bore you. If you need help with falsies, hit me up. Many cosplayers wear contacts, and they look amazing. I choose not to because the costume ones, even if of a high quality, can cause damage to your eye. If you feel comfortable wearing them, feel free. But I have seen other cosplayers with eye injuries from contacts, and I've found them rather painful and uncomfortable myself, so please be careful.

Whatever project your doing, you can almost guarantee someone else has done it before. And they've probably made a video or blog about. So google it, watch and learn from what others have done, and most importantly: HAVE FUN!

2. Thanks mimiruchan thanked for this post
    Likes mimiruchan liked this post
    The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

Default Re: Cosplay 101

For prop/armor building: Worbla will probably be your best friend. Here's a basic introduction to Worbla as well as other resources such as where to buy, tips, tricks, and many other stuff about the material.

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Moderator Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Moon Crescent Wand Wine Kangaroo
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 04:32 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Yeah I forgot to mention props! I've actually never used worbla but If I were making armor I definitely would start there. I like to use a lot of paper mache. It's time consuming but cheap and the end result will be lightweight. Also spray paint is usually quicker and easier than other paints. Just don't use t on foam :-/

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

I found this great tutorial on how to make your own gems of any color needed! All you need are those flat marbles used often to fill flower vases and nail polish!

I plan on doing a Teen Titans Raven cosplay here soon so this came up

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

6. Thanks mimiruchan thanked for this post
    Likes Jasanime, mimiruchan liked this post
    Frozen lullaby mimiruchan has a reputation beyond repute mimiruchan has a reputation beyond repute mimiruchan has a reputation beyond repute mimiruchan has a reputation beyond repute mimiruchan has a reputation beyond repute mimiruchan has a reputation beyond repute mimiruchan has a reputation beyond repute mimiruchan has a reputation beyond repute mimiruchan has a reputation beyond repute mimiruchan has a reputation beyond repute mimiruchan has a reputation beyond repute mimiruchan's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Chibi Crisis Moon Compact Orange Dango Cosmic Heart Compact
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-06-2021 10:37 PM
    Threads

Hey! Awesome thread

Randoms: My friend goes to Mac or Sephora and asks them to do her makeup as a test run so she can learn what she needs to do....she does a lot of Cross play. Most of the time they will do it for free just got to ask ^^

ALSO: Contacts....yeah...costume contacts usually kind of suck material wise. I work in an Optometry Clinic and we don't even recommend circle lenses. That being said, I do have an optometrist friend who wears circle lenses but you want to make sure you are ordering certified EOS or GEOS brand lenses. I would HIGHLY recommend bringing them to your opto to get checked out for fit. Even if you don't know the material they can at least tell you they aren't squeezing your eye or to loose that they will just pop out a lot. I find GEOS lenses to be the most comfortable and the easiest to find RX and colors. ><
    Also, they are conventional lenses with a 6 month replacement... I don't recommend wearing consecutively for 6 months...but every once in awhile sure...or toss em when its close to 6 months or if they start feeling more dry or irritating before....and don't even get me into solutions.

Sorry haahahah I do contact lens classes and fittings at my clinic. If you guys have any questions about contacts shoot me a message

8. Likes Jasanime, blueangel06661 liked this post
    Junior Member hentailover is on a distinguished road hentailover's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-28-2017 12:08 PM
    Threads

Keep up the good work!

Junior Member jhoney is on a distinguished road jhoney's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-09-2019 10:02 AM
    Threads

For prop/armor building: Worbla will probably be your best friend. Here's a basic introduction to Worbla as well as other resources such as where to buy, tips, tricks, and many other stuff about the material.
    Dafont Showbox Adam4adam
    Last edited by jhoney; 10-12-2019 at 07:26 AM.

11. Thanks Marianne89 thanked for this post
    Likes Marianne89 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information