Death is just the end to a physical being, and nothing more. Once someone is dead you’ll never be able to touch them, smell them, see them, or hear them. It’s not the end though- what you don’t know is that they’re energy is still there. It will stay with you forever, because when someone dies, a piece of their soul goes to anyone and everyone who loved them. So you never lose them, they just become apart of you, apart of your spirit and soul. It’s hard sometimes, I know from experience, I know how it feels. To me it’s the worse thing in the world, but maybe that’s because I’m still very young- only 17. Maybe the idea of having a future where my nana can’t be at my wedding, or see my children- when I have any. Or my Poppop won’t be there to see me catch a fish by myself, be there with me when I start my own family. It’s just bitter thoughts, but what makes it all okay, at least as okay as it can be is the fact they’re with me all the time, maybe watching over me, maybe just as clueless about my future as me. However death isn’t something that is ever going to stop, and we all need to accept it. That’s what you do whenever anyone dies, family or not- you accept it. That doesn’t mean you’re okay with it, I accept that my grandparents are dead but I’m still not okay with it, I’m still sad, but it’s a saddness that will always follow me around. Accepting someone’s death just means you know nothing you can do will bring them back, and nothing is going to make it easy, they’re never going to talk to you again, hug or kiss you, you can’t tell them about your bad days or good days, it’s an overwhelming, choking feeling. When someone dies, it’s the one time there is no way at all you can do anything about it. You can’t pray them back to life, or call a doctor. Death is inevitable, and you have to accept that.

Accepting death is hard, but dealing with it is harder. I haven’t lost too many- my grandparents on my dad’s side, my uncle, and my great grandmother, but I’m dealing with it. It’s sad, and some days are easier than others, there are times I will randomly break down but what I’ve learned so far: Think of all the good memories, and the good times you had with them. Memories are like having the people you lost with you. Me and my nana used to watch All dogs go to Heaven all the time, and we both loved Robert Williams. He was our favourite actor. Instead of wishing I could see her, or thinking about all that I lost, I think about what she helped me gain. I think about things like that, and it’s like she’s right next to me, watching those movies with me all over again. It’s never going to be easier, and it isn’t going to get easier over time I can tell you that now, but learning to deal with it will help. The worst thing you can do is ignore the fact that someone you held dear passed away. It isn’t fair to them, ignoring the fact that they’re gone.

It actually seems kind of selfish to ignore someone’s passing. I could understand, the pain is too much, knowing they’re gone is just too hard to accept when it’s someone you love, simply because you know there’s nothing you- or anyone can do to solve it. However, even though it’s painful, you have to accept it and deal with it. Ignoring someone’s death isn’t going to help yourself either, it’s unhealthy. When someone dies, pay attention, think of all the good things about them, then put them into your life, help make them apart of you. Don’t let something like death make you forget about those who passed either. Keep their memory on forever, share their stories with your kids, and their kids. Keep them “alive” through you.

Keep living for them.