AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Submission Rules and Guidelines

AnimeLyrics Admin
    EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-25-2020 10:24 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: xenographer Steam ID: xen0glossy

Default Submission Rules and Guidelines

In my time as an admin for AnimeLyrics, I've noticed that there are some rules, or at least preferences, that I've explained to people individually a number of times but that aren't written down in any kind of clear, easily-located fashion. There are also small mistakes I see people making with submissions a lot which I generally fix without saying anything, but again, it's not actually written anywhere what people should be doing. The following is my attempt to remedy that. Please, feel free to comment if you think any of these points needs further clarification or if you have suggestions for things to add--or just if you have any questions related to the what, where, and how of lyrics submissions.

What can I submit without having taken the test?

There are two categories of lyrics that a person who hasn't taken the test is allowed to submit: official transliterated/translated lyrics and non-Japanese lyrics.

Official transliterated/translated lyrics come from the official English translators of the anime or video game, from the booklet of the US or international release of the album, and very rarely from the artist themself, on their website. Lyrics from fan translations or from a fan blog, website, or wiki are not official. Translations or transliterations you have done yourself based on the official kanji/kana lyrics are not official. (But if you're transliterating and/or translating things yourself to begin with, we encourage you to take the test!)

EDIT 8/14/18: A lot of artists these days have translations in captions on their official YouTube videos; however, these are not considered "official" for AL.com submission purposes. These translations are generally fan-made and though they are approved by the artists, the artists often don't speak English well or at all and cannot gauge how accurate the translation is. Some of these "official" translations are in fact pretty bad.

Non-Japanese lyrics are pretty self-explanatory, though I will note that any amount of Japanese, however small, disqualifies a song from being considered "non-Japanese." For translations of non-Japanese songs that are also not in English, our ability to vet the accuracy is limited (alas, I can't speak every language), but we would prefer that you only submit a translation if you're confident in your language skills--no "I Google-Translated this from Korean and then cleaned it up so it made more sense" or "I don't really speak German that well but I took a class in high school once, so I sorta know what this song's about," please. Also, please submit only your own work--again, nothing from a fan translation or fan site/blog/wiki.

What if I submitted a transliteration or translation of Japanese lyrics before taking the test?

If an admin sees (and approves) your test before seeing the lyrics submission, it may go through, but your safest bet is to resubmit.

The single for this anime theme song isn't out yet. Can I submit the TV-size version?

No, complete songs only, please. The TV-size version will only be accepted if it's the only version that is ever likely to exist, as is the case for some dub songs.

What goes in the Show field?

The page that the song should go on. This must be filled out for all submissions, regardless of category. For anime, this is self-explanatory enough--the Show field is for the title of the show. For video games, it's the title of the game. For the J-pop and Doujin sections it's the name of the artist, unless it's a Vocaloid song and you want to put it on the Vocaloid Original Songs page.

What goes in the Song Title (Orig) and Song Title (English) fields?

Song Title (Orig) should be the title in romaji, not kanji/kana. Similarly, Song Title (English) should be the English translation, not the romaji. The latter field can be left blank if you're only submitting a translit. Also, if the song title is already in English, there's no need to put anything in the Title (English) field (though it's not wrong to do so, just kind of pointless).

What goes in the album field?

The full studio album, mini-album, or best-of/compilation album on which the song appears. Singles should never go in the album field. If the song only appears on a single, not on any album, leave the album field blank. If the song is a B-side/coupling track and you would like to note the single on which it appears, you can put "c/w [single's leading track]" in the Description field.

The exception to this is the Vocaloid Original Songs category, in which the album field should be the name of the Vocaloid who "performs" the song (or Multiple Vocaloids if more than one).

Additionally, on a page for an anime or video game, the album field should only be for albums related to the show/game, such as soundtracks, vocal collections, or image albums. If a song appears on an album by its artist which is otherwise unrelated to the show/game, don't list that as its album on the show/game page.

EDIT 9/3/18: If the song appears on an album that collects tracks from multiple games or anime, that album also should not go on an anime/video game page. Only if every song on the album is related to the same anime or game should that album be used on that anime or game's page.

If the song is in English, what do I put in the English Translation and/or Kanji fields?

Nothing. Just leave them blank.

What about the footnotes?

Any comments that might help a reader better understand a song, like general comments giving context or explaining themes that might not come through as clearly to a non-Japanese-speaker, or specific explanations of wordplay and other hard-to-translate expressions in certain lines. You don't need to put any information about yourself there--your username linked to your AL.com profile and the link to your website (if you have one) fill in automatically when you submit.

This anime/video game/Vocaloid song was performed by an artist who also has a page on the site. Under which category should I submit the lyrics?

You can always submit such a song under the relevant anime/video game/Vocaloid category. If the song also appears on an album (not a single!) by the artist (in the case of Vocaloid, the producer or an utaite), it should be cross-posted to their page. You can either manually submit it both places or let me know by PM or in the song footnotes that it should be cross-posted. If you see a song/songs already on the site that should be on an artist page but isn't/aren't, you can again let me know by PM or with a post on the Lyric Corrections subforum.

Please do not, under any circumstances, submit a game or anime song that doesn't appear on an album by the artist under only the artist category! No matter how obscure the game or anime is, not even if we have a page for the artist but not for the game/anime.

What about solos by members of bands? What about songs by one-off collaborations of two (or more) artists or songs featuring another artist?

Solos by members of bands that appear on a single or album of that band go under the band's category, even if the band member also has a solo career. (Though if the band member later records a version of the song on a solo album, it can then go on their page too.) "Featuring" songs go under the main artist (again, unless the "featuring" artist puts it on one of their own albums, in which case it can go both places). Collaborations in which the performers are of equal status, so to speak, can go under the category of either or both artists depending on whose album it's on; if it doesn't appear on an album by either artist, it may need its own new section, especially if the collaboration extends to multiple singles or an entire album.

What about songs from live-action television shows or movies?

We don't currently have a category for those, so the only place those songs can really go is under the artist who performs them. Please don't submit them under "anime." We take a somewhat broad view of what constitutes anime, but not broad enough to include things that aren't in fact animated.

Where do songs by fictional bands or artists (such as μ's or Aqours from Love Live, ZHIEND or How-Low-Hello from Charlotte, or Sheryl Nome or Ranka Lee from Macross Frontier) go?

Under the relevant anime or game. The J-pop section is for real people only.

Where do songs go if they're inspired by an anime or video game or based on an instrumental track from an anime or video game, but are unofficial and released by an artist unrelated to the creative team behind the anime/game?

Such songs go under the artist (usually in the Doujin section), not the show or game. The show and game pages are for official songs only.

I found an error in my own transliteration or translation. What should I do?

You can just PM me with a link to the song and let me know what corrections need to be made. Making a thread for it in the Lyric Corrections subforum is not necessary if it's your own work that you're fixing.

Can I use special characters in my transliteration/translation?

The site doesn't get along with them very well, but you can if it's necessary, for diacritics or the 〜★♥☆〜 stuff that some writers like to sprinkle into their lyrics. However, please do not use smart quotes/apostrophes (that's the curly ones), the ellipsis character (as opposed to just three periods), or JIS-encoded spaces in transliterations or translations. (JIS-encoded spaces are of course fine in kanji/kana lyrics.) If you wish to have larger breaks within a line of lyrics, please just use two or three regular/basic Latin spaces in a row. Kanji/kana should never be used outside of the field that's specifically dedicated to them--not in the title field, not in the artist field, not in the footnotes. And in general, if it's possible to replace a special character with a non-special character (like 〜 with a tilde or an en-dash with a hyphen), it would be nice if you could do that, though it's not required.
    Last edited by EJTranslations; 01-17-2019 at 09:59 AM.

2. Likes Kaitou Ace, blueangel06661 liked this post
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    Inho is on a distinguished road Inho's Avatar
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-07-2016 09:57 AM
    Threads

Default Re: Submission Rules and Guidelines

To be able to submit translation of songs, do we have take and pass both tests, or only one?

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Grain is on a distinguished road Grain's Avatar
    Gil
    Asleep
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-19-2021 09:52 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by Inho View Post
    To be able to submit translation of songs, do we have take and pass both tests, or only one?
    Both.

5. Likes Inho liked this post
    Urbanliner is on a distinguished road Urbanliner's Avatar
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-23-2017 11:50 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

What if there is a compilation album for game songs, with the compilation using the series for songs from the game's anime adaptation?
    (Specific example: The album "THE IDOLM@Ste R CINDERELLA GIRLS ANIMATION PROJECT 00 ST@RTER BEST" belongs to "ANIMATION PROJECT" series, which is for the Cinderella Girls' anime. However, the album has 14 character songs from the original game, plus a cover of a song from the "jewelries!" series which belongs to the original game.)

AnimeLyrics Admin
    EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations has a reputation beyond repute EJTranslations's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-25-2020 10:24 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: xenographer Steam ID: xen0glossy

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanliner View Post
    What if there is a compilation album for game songs, with the compilation using the series for songs from the game's anime adaptation?
    (Specific example: The album "THE IDOLM@Ste R CINDERELLA GIRLS ANIMATION PROJECT 00 ST@RTER BEST" belongs to "ANIMATION PROJECT" series, which is for the Cinderella Girls' anime. However, the album has 14 character songs from the original game, plus a cover of a song from the "jewelries!" series which belongs to the original game.)
    I'm so sorry I missed this for several months! I would say in that case that the lyrics should be crossposted to both the anime and the game pages (and can be submitted under either category with a note to that effect).

Beldarius is on a distinguished road Beldarius's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-12-2024 03:38 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Hi, I have a question... are submissions supposed to end up in your "Waiting in Queue" immediately or does it take a while for them to show up? I just submitted lyrics, but my Waiting in Queue still shows 0.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information