AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interest Check: Rolling Some Imaginary Dice

The Poet Sword Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-28-2019 05:06 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Interest Check: Rolling Some Imaginary Dice

I have not GM'd a game on animeforum in a long while.

That being said, my interest in complete freeform collaborative story writing has taken a backseat, and my interest in the tabletop genre of roleplaying has stayed strong. As such I have wanted to see how such a medium could run via Play by Post. It is often done on forums for the specific games, but AF has been my online home and lurking grounds since I was a teen.

So this leads me to see if I could gather 3-6 players (4-5 preferred, but can pull this off with possibly less) who would be willing to throw caution to the wind and give this sort of thing a try. Namely, a game of Pathfinder. (Essentially Dungeons and Dreagons 3.75 for those of you who are savvy of this)

Ideally folks should be okay with basic math, and have an open mind to the structure of such a game. If there is interest in such a game I'll post more details regarding this. Character creation will probably be a step by step process or, if players are hung up on mechanics, it'll be players sending me character concepts and me building stats. Could be both.

I'll also want to hear what sort of genres, moods and themes are of interest. Pathfinder is front loaded for fantasy adventure, but can be twisted for other concepts. Also the preference for a more linear adventure or a more sandboxy type setting where its basically more open world and player driven.

Of course, as the wind blows, I'm chill if this doesn't take off. I just wanted to see what I could do with it.
    Last edited by Tetsanosuke; 06-03-2015 at 09:44 PM.

Perhaps the world was never meant to make perfect sense.

The Poet Sword Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Interest Check: Rolling Some Imaginary Dice

After a week or two I've seen a lot of views, but no responses. Fair enough. If any are interested in joining in, whether it's learning as a newbie or coming in having some experience with tabletop roleplaying you can pm me within two weeks of this post (I'll give them the link to the forum this is being played on should space remain for more players). By then hopefully the characters have been finished and the game has started.

Omega and LPS can feel free to lock the topic

Edit: Maybe locking is not necessary yet? We will see.

Last edited by Tetsanosuke; 06-14-2015 at 09:27 PM.

Senior Member Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Gifts Silver Ribbon Four Leaf Clover Teal Ribbon
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-08-2019 02:20 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: aspirantgarde

@Tetsanosuke

I’ve been very guilty of having tunnel vision as of late, and have only read the latest posts (the ones at the very top) on the RPG sub forum for a while. I wish I would’ve responded sooner, because I firmly believe this would be great. I know you asked for PMs, but I wanted to give a public nod towards this concept and, hopefully, encourage people who haven’t had much experience with tabletop roleplaying (I’m certainly included in that group) to consider it.

In particular, I very much appreciate your willingness to help us build stats around a character concept, since that might be the largest hurdle for the inexperienced, like myself. Good luck with this; I’d love to see it happen and you can count me in on it if you don’t mind having someone quite green join up.

4. Thanks Tetsanosuke thanked for this post
    Likes Tetsanosuke liked this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the response, and I know what it's like to have that tunnel vision.

I recruited a number of folks I usually tabletop game with to help me explore this medium, and one character has been posted already. I may have room for one for two more players if you are interested. On the other forum, as I mentioned.

OR

I could use the same setting and run a game here as well. It would take place in a different part of the country, basically creating two separate perspectives of the setting. On the other hand I could just run the same thing, but with different characters in each session (and players) it should make for interesting differences.

This all depends on how many folks here want in. And if I feel capable of managing.

Thank you for the nod.

Senior Member Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Gifts Silver Ribbon Four Leaf Clover Teal Ribbon
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-08-2019 02:20 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: aspirantgarde

@Tetsanosuke

I'd be really interested in seeing how it would run here, but I don't want to unduly make more work for you. At any rate, you can count me in.

7. Thanks Tetsanosuke thanked for this post
    The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

I havent locked it cause I had interest, and then completely forgot about it [sorry, a lot has come up @_@]
    But yes, Id be interested. I havent played in years, so Im probably rusty, lol

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    (:| |: )
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

9. Thanks Tetsanosuke thanked for this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'm tempted to run the game either in the other game's past or future. Like possible parallel dimensions. Of course you folks would be cut off from seeing the other.

I need at least one more person on board to make this a minimal party.

If any one would like to peek into the game materials we would be using: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Creating characters in this game requires a chassis of a race and a character class. I'm open to creating a homebrew race for you using their race creation rules if you are willing to describe what it's supposed to be and the idea behind it's make.

Most of these sort of games measure challenges vs a group of four characters with the following roles: A divine magic person with healing capability, an arcane mage sort, a rough and tough fighter sort who can give and take punishment, and a skill-based class to do sneaky or technical stuff. This is by no means a forced template, and I understand the difficulty one may have learning how spellcasting works when written word is all you have to go on. But there are other sorts of classes to choose, and the idea of this is to have fun.

Again I am more than willing to have folks write me out a description of what they feel their character should be able to do, and try to write up mechanics appropriate for it.

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

I used to rock a necromancer named Lilith. Looking [glancing] over the pathfinder set up, it doesnt look like the class is there ;_;
    I'll figure out what I want to do =3

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    (:| |: )
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

12. Likes Tetsanosuke liked this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ωmega View Post
    I used to rock a necromancer named Lilith. Looking [glancing] over the pathfinder set up, it doesnt look like the class is there ;_;
    I'll figure out what I want to do =3
    Wizard and Cleric are both fully capable of fulfilling the role of a necromancer, Sorcerer and Oracle to a lesser degree as the number of spells they know overall is much more limited due to the nature of their casting. Arcanist is the steady middle between Wizard and Sorcerer but lacks divine magic of the Cleric and Oracle.

Also the Wizard has the choice to focus on a school of magic and gets some abilities from doing so. In return they make casting spells from two other schools of magic more difficult. Necromancy can be a focus as linked here.

14. Likes Ωmega liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information