AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hisense is rubbish?

Senior Member 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Suspicious
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-20-2016 09:36 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: DFmongy

Default Hisense is rubbish?

On Saturday I purchased a 50' Hisense smart TV (50K23DGW) and I'm having a couple issues with it. After I first hooked it up I put on some cable tv and it looked fine, decent image, good colour so on and so fourth. The next day it came time to watch some anime (Magi if that matters 0_0) and this is when I noticed the problem. During quick action scenes as well as slow panning shots the image would start chugging and little black squares would appear around the problem area. After much tinkering I found that changing the 120Hz Effect setting to "OFF" as opposed "HIGH" helped smooth out the quick action scenes alot but the slowing panning shots still seem to skip abit. What I want to know is if any of you have any advice or recommendations on how to fix this issue.

I realize that Hisense isn't a high quality brand but the low price lured me in. I have 2 weeks from when I bought it to return or exchange it so if you think that is my best bet let me know.

All the world will be your enemy, prince with a thousand enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... But first they must catch you.

Senior Member someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast's Avatar
    Gil
    Nerdy
    Gifts Red Dango Kill Bill Katana Shuriken
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-26-2016 08:12 AM
    Threads

Default Re: Hisense is rubbish?

I have had no real familiarity with Hisense. what is the next lowest end TV? I mean for instance do they offer Vizio. I bought a 50' Plasma Vizio in 2007 and it still works like a charm. I have sense then upgraded to a 52' Samsung LCD but I don't know how much was it?

Senior Member 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Suspicious
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

After some haggling I ended up paying $520 (that's Canadian monies) plus tax plus warranty plus blah blah blah. What I was replacing was a 40' Toshiba which works fine I just wanted to upgrade. This is why I'm hesitate to exchange it for a smaller but better quality tv as it would only end up being slightly larger than the one I'm replacing.

The salesman advertised is as "most bang for my buck" but I'm also noticing choppy image this when playing ps4 games just rotating the camera around my character. I think what it comes down to is this tv's processor is weak sauce.

All the world will be your enemy, prince with a thousand enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... But first they must catch you.

Senior Member someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast's Avatar
    Gil
    Nerdy
    Gifts Red Dango Kill Bill Katana Shuriken
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-26-2016 08:12 AM
    Threads

Or it could be the HDMI connection. I mean is your Cable plugged in through HDMI? It may adveritse this sort of picture, but have you tried any of the HDMI ports you are plugged into or even the HD Y/B/G/R

Senior Member .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2020 04:24 PM
    Threads

First and foremost, I strongly advise that you update your TV with the latest firmware if you've not done so already. In most cases such issues are software related and can be easily resolved with new firmware. If your firmware is up to date and the same issues persist, I do have few "suggestions" that may help, buuut... I'd need to know down to every (and I mean every) last detail how your TV is set up, including the current menu settings and connections for each input you're using; otherwise I'd be writing a humongous post just to cover every possible variable that might be upsetting the unit.

And I kinda don't wanna do that...

Gil
    Suspicious
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

I have what I believe to be the latest version (V00.01.130A.F0113).

Current settings are.
    Picture -> Advanced Video ->

Colour temp - Normal
    120Hz effect - off
    Noise reduction - auto
    Dynamic backlight control - high
    Adaptive control - on
    Aspect ratio - wide
    overscan - on

I notice these problems when using my ps4 which is connected to HDMI 1.

thats all I can think of to tell you at the moment and I must go to work now but if you need more info let me know.
    Thanks for the help. Cheers.

Senior Member .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by 360 FistKick! View Post
    I have what I believe to be the latest version (V00.01.130A.F0113).

Current settings are.
    Picture -> Advanced Video ->

Colour temp - Normal
    120Hz effect - off
    Noise reduction - auto
    Dynamic backlight control - high
    Adaptive control - on
    Aspect ratio - wide
    overscan - on

I notice these problems when using my ps4 which is connected to HDMI 1.

thats all I can think of to tell you at the moment and I must go to work now but if you need more info let me know.
    Thanks for the help. Cheers.
    You're welcome, and sorry for the delayed reply.

Based on the given information, I recommend that you take the following troubleshooting procedures, which assume that you're using a compatible HDMI cable and have checked all connections between your power supply, TV and PS4.

1. If you've not done so already, set up your PS4 to output a 1080p60 video signal. This will leave all the upscaling to the PS4, which should defeat the TV's upscaling hardware (provided that Overscan is set to [Off]) and result in a much sharper picture. It might also improve the TV's performance.

2. Apply the following settings in Picture > Advanced Video as shown:

Noise reduction - off (or [Min]/[Low] setting if NR is not defeatable)
    Dynamic backlight control - off (or [Min]/[Low] setting if DBC is not defeatable)
    Adaptive control - off
    Overscan - off (Note: When set to [On] the TV may zoom even 1080p images, leading to clipping and a more softened picture)

Generally the idea is to determine if the issues are being caused by an inadequate video processor, defective parts or bad firmware, and then depending on the outcome, determine the best course of action.

3. Spin a PS4 game that natively runs at either 60 or 30fps and randomly navigate some gaming environment to confirm whether or not said issues have disappeared (or lessened) under the changed TV menu settings. For easier detection of issues it's recommended to use a game that runs at 60fps, but with more careful observation a game that runs at 30fps should be fine. While the game is running, confirm that the TV is constantly receiving a 1080p60 input signal and nothing less. Also, ensure that no apps are open.

Note: While examining the picture for issues, it's best not to change any other menu settings, especially the 120hz effect setting as this may cloud underlying issues. Also, avoid using content other than games in testing the picture, especially Blu-ray films as these may force the PS4 to use 3:2 pulldown detection, which will add telecine judder to the picture and, again, cloud underlying issues.

If the issues persist and there's not one iota of improvement, or they are somewhat mitigated but still discernable, then likely the TV is defective or not performing as advertised. In this case, I recommend that you contact your local dealer for a replacement/exchange or refund. The bottom line here is, you've been sold a TV that does not comply with reasonable use, and is therefore unfit for purpose.

If the issues disappear completely, then you have a compromising situation in which you're forced to choose between a picture that is smooth but of low quality or of high quality but prone to intermittent judder. In my opinion, you shouldn't be having to make such concessions just to get a merely functional picture, and I recommend that you contact your local dealer for a replacement/exchange or refund. If however, you think you can live with those limitations, then consider step 4 to get the most out of your TV.

4. (Optional) Re-apply a desirable setting in the Picture > Advanced Video menu and check for said issues under the same conditions as before. Repeat this procedure for each setting until one triggers any number of the issues, then disable the problem setting. Repeat the whole step until you've gone through all the listed settings.

That's the most I can advise at this point. There might be some weird setting on the TV that could be causing said issues instead, but without a complete list of all the menu settings I can't make any further recommendations. But yeah, try those steps first and let me know if they've resolved the problems or not, and I'll see what I can do further. Another idea is to just ignore the steps, exercise the dealer's 2-week return policy and try to get a replacement anyway. If the replacement model has the same issues then likely there's a design or manufacturing issue, at which point you should consider getting a refund and maybe opt for a different brand.
    Last edited by .:neuko:.; 04-15-2015 at 11:40 AM.

8. Thanks 360 FistKick! thanked for this post
    Likes Astral_Mage, someoneofforumpast liked this post
    Gil
    Suspicious
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Ok I've gone through your recommended steps and I think I got this thing nailed down now.

I applied your settings (basically turn everything off) and it seems to have done the trick. I ran BF4 and just scurried around the test range while fiddling with the settings to find out exactly what improved the picture the most. Turning off the Overscan made the biggest improvement and leaving the 120Hz effect OFF is a must.

I still notice a bit of choppy scenes when watching crunchyroll but my brother claims not to see anything so I may just be looking for something that's not there.

So I now find myself in the compromising situation you mentioned earlier. Considering it's a 50' screen that I sit about 6 feet away from and my eyes being unable to discern the difference in picture quality I'll probably stick with what I paid for... A large but low quality tv. I still have another week to decide so this may not be my final decision.

However if anyone in the future asks me if I would recommend a Hisense tv I would have to say no.

Thank you very much for your helpful advice I appreciate it a lot.

10. Likes Astral_Mage, someoneofforumpast liked this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I still notice a bit of choppy scenes when watching crunchyroll but my brother claims not to see anything so I may just be looking for something that's not there.
    I don't know much about Crunchyroll except that it's a video streaming service. But I might as well tell you: anytime you stream a video over a network (if that's what you're doing here) there's always some chance of choppiness or lag in playback; so the problem (if it is there) is not necessarily the fault of the TV here.

If you're streaming over a network then video playback quality will depend on many factors besides the playback device, from the resources of the video streaming service, to how much bandwidth your ISP is currently giving you, to the efficiency of the app with which you're streaming the video, to the type of network connection you're using (ethernet or wireless) and so on. Also additional lag may occur if you're remotely streaming to your TV from a mobile device or PC.

I have a very capable Smart TV myself, which uses a dual-core processor to run multiple apps. I can run a given FullHD video off YouTube or BBC iPLayer, enable the most processor-hungry picture settings, and it'll run flawlessly one day and then stutter the next for no apparent reason. When this happens, it's usually because my ISP (Virgin Media) has throttled my nominal bandwidth allowance due to high internet traffic. I also use a wireless connection, so of course data transfer stability is not guaranteed.

Even if you have the best network connection and broadband package offering download speeds in excess of 100Mb/s, it won't make much difference if the bottleneck of smooth video playback lies at the service from which you're streaming the content, and the quality of streaming services vary quite widely.

Thank you very much for your helpful advice I appreciate it a lot.
    No probs. Glad I could be of help. ^ ^

12. Likes Astral_Mage, someoneofforumpast liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information