AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recommendations?

Junior Member PezPiece is on a distinguished road PezPiece's Avatar
    Gil
    Happy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2015 11:14 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Smile Recommendations?

Hi there guys,

I am sure that you get asked these questions a lot. You see, I am a gal who grew up with anime, but since adulthood have indulged less and less. I kind of got bored of the generic run of the mill characters and such. I also was never much of a fan of science fiction, so that kind of tossed out a lot of anime from the get go. I still love it though, at least what I have formed places for in my heart. I still go back and feel all the warm fuzzies for the series I grew to care for over the years. I know that all these characters are just that, but they've been crafted from the human mind and have an emotional backing. I've watched a handful of series over and over again, year to year and still enjoy them as much as when I originally saw them. If not more, because the influx of anime is much less now a days.

All that aside, I have a pension of the surreal. I enjoy things with alternative visual aesthetics, loads of symbolism and a hint of a puzzle. I can give you guys a list of series that I still enjoy years later. I can go for anime or manga, either or to be honest. I will check anything out because just taking the time to put thought into this is very nice.

Probably the most beloved animes I have watched as an adult are:
    Mononoke/FLCL/Anything by Satoshi Kon/Utena/Castle of Cogliostro

I love Miyazaki stuff, and have been watching it since I was but a babe (Japanese fam) but I don't watch it often 'cept for The Castle of Cogliostro.

Manga wise:
    Not Simple (Natsume Ono)/Anything by Junji Ito/Anything by Ebine Yamaji

I have read Ode to Kirihito and MW and am interested in reading more Tezuka if anyone has any suggestions. Both are excellent stuff!

I know I am asking an awful lot, and that my tastes aren't par the norm per se. I figured though, stab in the dark style, that there'd be someone out there that'd know something to throw at me. So please, if you guys have any thoughts, have at.

Thank you!

Senior Member Konkulf has a reputation beyond repute Konkulf has a reputation beyond repute Konkulf has a reputation beyond repute Konkulf has a reputation beyond repute Konkulf has a reputation beyond repute Konkulf has a reputation beyond repute Konkulf has a reputation beyond repute Konkulf has a reputation beyond repute Konkulf has a reputation beyond repute Konkulf has a reputation beyond repute Konkulf has a reputation beyond repute Konkulf's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-22-2016 03:56 PM
    Threads

Default Re: Recommendations?

One I'd recommend, and actually one of the first anime's I ever finished, is Ergo Proxy. I see you don't like Sci-Fi that much, but I'd still recommend you to take a look at it, it's one of those anime's that seem to go under the radar to most people. Really unique setting, got a sort of philosophical aspect to it at times, and overall just a really special anime.

Another one I highly recommend is Mushishi, in my opinion of the best anime's to come out this generation. If you could sum the whole thing up in one word, I think it would be "serene". The whole thing just seems to flow slowly and drag you into it's story, and it's the thing that sets it apart from pretty much every other anime I've watched. Overall just a really good experience.

A bit unsure about this last one, but I thought I could atleast throw it out there. Shinsekai Yori is another great anime. It isn't really too surreal or anything like that, but it has a really awesome storyline and setting. It's one of those anime's that seem a bit casual and bland when you start off, but does a complete 180 and turns into an awesome series that definitely has the viewer using his head a bit.

Those are the ones I can think of for now, don't know whether or not they're what you were looking for, but hope you atleast find one that you like

3. Thanks PezPiece thanked for this post
    Likes PezPiece liked this post
    Senior Member 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Suspicious
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-20-2016 09:36 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: DFmongy

Quote Originally Posted by PezPiece View Post
    I have a pension of the surreal. I enjoy things with alternative visual aesthetics, loads of symbolism and a hint of a puzzle. I can give you guys a list of series that I still enjoy years later. I can go for anime or manga, either or to be honest. I will check anything out because just taking the time to put thought into this is very nice.
    Best anime I can recommend is Kyousougiga. It has 12 or 13 episodes and prefectly matches your tastes.

All the world will be your enemy, prince with a thousand enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... But first they must catch you.

5. Thanks PezPiece thanked for this post
    AF Lurker Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Snowman Hedgehog Pocky
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-17-2018 06:17 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Zainox-

A few you might like that I can think of may be~

Steins; Gate
    Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
    Clannad
    Garren Lagan
    Koroko Connect
    Madoka Magica
    Dennou Coil
    Full Metal Alchemist
    Death Note
    The girl who left through time
    Garden of Words

MY ANIME-PLANET WATCH LIST

AF FAMILY
    Astral_Mage - Younger Brother/Confetti Brother
    horrendous - Older Brother
    1nterest1ng - Confetti Brother

7. Thanks PezPiece thanked for this post
    Gil
    Happy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Thanks you three for putting some t.l.c. into this. I will check out all these anime's one by one. I just did a superficial Google image search to see if I knew any of these. (Well for the one's that I didn't recognize, you know!) I was laughing because the first recommendation Ergo Proxy, I know nothing about but always thought that the main character looks like Amy Lee if she was an anime hero.

The anime Kyousougiga looks pretty insane. I hope that it's not completely baffling, but that may honestly be the first I tackle.

My brother, a long time ago (At least as few as five I think...?) recommended that I watch Dennou Coil. I don't remember much about it (shrines, censor drone, adorable child, adorable dog, distant parents) the few episodes I saw, but I bet it's a great series. The art is like magical sunshine for your face. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 looks cute, but is probably dark. I mean, as I scroll down I am smacked with this image reminding me of Grave of the Fireflies. Dark. All the feels!

I forgot about Garren Lagan too, which is produced or directed or SOMETHINGED by the same team (Or Hideaki, or SOMETHING!) that did FLCL. To be honest with you guys, the reason why I never got into the series was the robots and such. I don't know just something about robots usually turn my brain off. When I was a kid, I built Gundams, but I don't remember if I actually watched any of the series like that. Sad confessions. Just something about robots! Probably the only robo-nime I ever really felt the bump, bumps for was Roujin Z. You know, because old people rock, and that bed KNEW IT!

Thanks again for your recommendations, and I will take any other so please feel free to drop them.

Senior Member 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Suspicious
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-20-2016 09:36 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: DFmongy

Quote Originally Posted by PezPiece View Post
    The anime Kyousougiga looks pretty insane. I hope that it's not completely baffling, but that may honestly be the first I tackle.
    Oh. Well the first episode was probably the most baffling I ever seen but It makes sense eventually.

All the world will be your enemy, prince with a thousand enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... But first they must catch you.

10. Likes PezPiece liked this post
    Gil
    Happy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Good, because I was absolutely lost =P!

AF Lurker Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox has a reputation beyond repute Zainox's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Snowman Hedgehog Pocky
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-17-2018 06:17 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Zainox-

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 definitely has some dark scenes. But the overall story and journey is fantastic. Be warned, you will cry. xD

I'm not a fan of mecha anime either, but this is so much different. It's more like a spoofed up version of Power Rangers when it comes to it's mecha's. The characters and the story will leave the thought of the mecha's in the background.

MY ANIME-PLANET WATCH LIST

AF FAMILY
    Astral_Mage - Younger Brother/Confetti Brother
    horrendous - Older Brother
    1nterest1ng - Confetti Brother

13. Likes PezPiece liked this post
    Gil
    Happy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Oh, one show that I forgot to mention that I have adored in my own way was Princess Jellyfish. It kind of reminded me of a culmination of a lot of manga that I have liked through out the years. You know, them Joseis <3~!

If anyone else has anything to toss, feel free =)!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information