AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Saturday Morning Cartoons: An Epitaph

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Saturday Morning Cartoons: An Epitaph

Well the CW has given up on Saturday morning cartoons. The last major broadcast network to do so. I know there are still some on cable, but its not the same.
    I guess I always thought they would be there. When one series was cancelled another way replaced into that time slot. Oh there were a couple things to watch on cable like the USA Cartoon express or Snick... but that was before Cartoon Network showed up. Then the channels stopped doing it. NBC and CBS used to be huge on cartoons, with a few live action shows thrown in, but they got beat out by FOX, ABC, and the WB. With UPN hanging on by its fingernails. Spielberg and Disney mostly. And then they stopped showing cartoons before and after school. After that ABC dropped out... not even doing the Magical WOrld Of Disney any more, let alone the good old shows. The others rather than make their own began buying anime from Japan, then editing the hell out of it until it was 50% commercials and 50% Confusing.
    Cable channels started keeping the shows to themselves instead of airing them on broadcast networks first.
    Next Fox and the WB were showing the same thing and the the WB gets replaced by the CW.
    Rather than deal with them a lot of cartoon creators went for direct to DVD stuff, where they did not have to listen to know-nothing network executives.
    Then the CW was the only one left. Without competition they got lazy. Showing reruns over and over until people were sick of them, sticking in a few shows designed to sell cards and toys every now and then to pretend they had something going on.
    And now... its over.

I'd like you guys who read this to come up here and say a few words about the Saturday Morning cartoons you used to know and love.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Junior Member kagomekikyoieriolalaier is on a distinguished road kagomekikyoieriolalaier's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-07-2014 03:37 PM
    Threads

Default Catoonwork

The show is good i love inuyasha all anime cool think time was going yu

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Default Re: Catoonwork

Quote Originally Posted by kagomekikyoieriolalaier View Post
    The show is good i love inuyasha all anime cool think time was going yu

Last edited by Clayton_n; 10-07-2014 at 03:48 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Saturday Morning Cartoons: An Epitaph

Eh, it was a cool thing obviously when you were younger but I haven't cared about Saturday Morning Cartoons for at least a decade now. Sad to know they are slowing RIPing though.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

&#32
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Gifts V Guitar Coffee Red Kawaii Ice Cream Cone
    Mentioned
    1093 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2018 11:21 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: FunkyFresh123 Steam ID: RyuTama

This is pretty sad, such good memories with Saturday morning cartoons.

But honestly it's not much a shocker. Lots of kids nowadays will probably be watching their shows on their iPad over Netflix anyway.

Junior Member Palamon is on a distinguished road Palamon's Avatar
    Gil
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-23-2014 08:17 PM
    Threads

I'll miss them. I really will. These were my jam. Rip, Vortex. ;; You will be missed. Live Action is lame... ugh.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Actually Vortexx kind of sucked. It was the equivalent of that last bowel movement before you die.

Senior Member Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Gifts Silver Ribbon Four Leaf Clover Teal Ribbon
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-08-2019 02:20 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: aspirantgarde

I adored King Arthur and the Knights of Justice. Nostalgia still overwhelms me when I watch the oath they took. Great Saturday morning cartoon.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Ah, UPN. We hardly knew ye.

Senior Member 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick! has a reputation beyond repute 360 FistKick!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Suspicious
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-20-2016 09:36 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: DFmongy

The day Vortexx disappeared my younger brother called me woundering where his frecken Staurday morning cartoons went. I realized before he called which was funny us being 23 and 24 at the time. We then reminisced about the good old days, waking up early and watching our favorite cartoons. Best one was Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.

All the world will be your enemy, prince with a thousand enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... But first they must catch you.

Senior Member someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast has a reputation beyond repute someoneofforumpast's Avatar
    Gil
    Nerdy
    Gifts Red Dango Kill Bill Katana Shuriken
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-26-2016 08:12 AM
    Threads

Dang I guess my son will grow up without knowing the good ol' days. I remember racing home after school to watching afternoon cartoons, and then Waking up at 6am on saturday morning to catch all my favorite shows.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I didn't even sleep on Fridays and sometimes Saturdays, lest I miss any of them.

Remember Sundays and the USA cartoon express?

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pocket Watch Katana Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2019 09:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

What? I thought the situation was that bunches of the old cartoons we grew up with were getting rebooted. I guess I'm not watching them anymore, but when going through Toys 'R Us I recall seeing slightly different builds of Thundercats, Transformers, and what seemed like an entire isle of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

As for my day, I'll give a shout out to Gargoyles. I'm given to understand that the network wanted it to be TMNT with wings, but that the writers got a lot more complex, and made one of the smartest, most developed, and most likely to win villians, well, period. I quite appreciated that, though I'm not sure it helped their ratings.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Only on cable, which really doesn't count.

Little Green Miko Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome's Avatar
    Gil
    Blah
    Gifts Kawaiislice Aria Neko Pluto Garnet Orb
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-23-2023 10:19 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Kagxme4988 PSN ID: KagomeMiko

RIP to good old shet at precious time slots.
    Looney Toons, The Real Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice, Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Gargoyles, DuckTales, Tailspin, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, X-men and so many more.
    How'd You Like That On Your Lawn?!
    "I may be empty, but I'm not worthless!"

...Clear...

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The USA Cartoon Express... anyone remember Laugh Olympics?

Or the Super Mario Bros' Super Show?

Viva la Touhou !!!!! CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-25-2022 10:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: SabotageDaemon

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    Ah, UPN. We hardly knew ye.
    KCOP 13 in Southern California was the only channel that mattered on Sunday mornings. I think all of those shows were DIC's property. The lineup went by the name of Amazing Adventures. Let's see what I can remember without Googleing:

King Arther and the Knights of Justice
    Mr. Bogus
    Around the World in 80 Dreams
    Street Sharks
    Double Dragon (cheated, I looked)
    Ultra... (sry) ULTRAFORCE!

Quote Originally Posted by Kagome View Post
    RIP to good old shet at precious time slots.
    Looney Toons, The Real Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice, Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Gargoyles, DuckTales, Tailspin, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, X-men and so many more.
    You just named off a third of my childhood and early teen years.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    The USA Cartoon Express... anyone remember Laugh Olympics?

Or the Super Mario Bros' Super Show?
    I was probably one of the few that grew up without cable, so I had network television to go by. I did however watch the Super Mario Bros. Super Show since it aired on Fox in the after school block. Captain Lou Albano as Mario was so perfect. I just wish there was more Zelda episodes. It might not have stunk if given more of a chance. Then there was the spin off show that King Koopa had. It wasn't as great, but it had its own sense of style.
    ---------------------------

I feel bad about the cartoons that never had a chance because they were on stations that frequently had preemptive sports like golf. *glares at CBS* Shows like Where's Waldo, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, and Back to the Future were shows that I liked a lot but didn't get to see much of.

18. Thanks Kagome thanked for this post
    Likes Kagome liked this post
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Beetlejuice was awesome.

Then there were the lesser known ones like the Feival (Sp?) goes West series or that cowboy one with the actual cows... and of course the original TMNT...

Gah! Why have the television gods forsaken us?!?

Viva la Touhou !!!!! CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-25-2022 10:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: SabotageDaemon

Any of you ol' timers remember this beaut from the 80s?
    +
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

This show was somewhat disturbing for being a kids show. Why you ask? Well for starters...

+
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I liked it though and wasn't as horrified as some children.

/v|;/|/|) `|`}{;(-'/-'' daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft has a reputation beyond repute daft's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-13-2016 05:43 PM

sad indeed. but hey, the good times can't last forever. you can at least say you've enjoyed and experienced them while they were around. also, you can still look back and reminisce about those shows with friends and younglings. just yesterday i was sharing with one of my younger cousins about chip n dale rescue rangers... the intro theme still gets me revved up
    feed your monster

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I remember when there were cartoons every weekday morning and afternoon, then Saturdays and even some on Sunday morning... New ones. Good times. Good times.

NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, WB/Cw, Disney...

Last edited by Clayton_n; 07-23-2015 at 07:41 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information