AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canon: Fact or Fairy Tale?

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-19-2024 05:34 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Canon: Fact or Fairy Tale?

People say that in animation and comics it doesn't count if it's not "Canon".

Personally I stopped believing in Canon a while ago. Marvel and DC shook my faith (Hello Brand New Day and New 52) and Ben 10 killed it. If it's on screen or in the books it happens. Do you agree or disagree.

Last edited by Clayton_n; 10-07-2014 at 02:33 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

Default Re: Canon: Fact or Fairy Tale?

Canon is canon is canon. Unless it says 'canon' its a revamp, side story, alternate universe, I-dont-give-a-crap city, its not part of the main plot.

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    (:| |: )
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

As Maru stated, Canon is the main plot/storyline. If it's not canon, then it's not worth taking to heart as end-all say all in the series/franchise, like Marvel's What If?'s and DC's Elseworld's. Has that stopped anyone? HELL NO! I mean look at Transformers. There is no Official Canon! It's just a generally accepted idea that the '80s Generation 1 cartoon is the main canon, being that it was the most popular. In truth the only real canon there is in the franchise is the toy line(s).
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

They tried. Remember season 3 of Beastwars when they found optimus and company still asleep?
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I don't necessarily call that trying to make a Canon. It was merely a plot device to be used in getting to the next stage of the series. It may be canon to the Beast Wars and Beast Machines franchise/series; just not quite pure Transformers Canon (though Hasbro pretty much as conceded with the fans on G1 being Canon over all Canon), but they actually had more facts and tidbits from the Gen 1 comics and show in the sidebits they shared throughout the show (like Arcee being Rattrap's great-grandmother).

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Hey, they even had Megatron's golden disc sent on the Voyager. They tied it all together quite nicely and since then the Beast Wars transformers do tend to get written into the new series quite a bit.

Now, about Star Wars...

Last edited by Clayton_n; 10-07-2014 at 01:54 PM.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I just realized... thanks to the new X-men movie... NOTHING in any of the... 12?... previous movies actually happened... NOTHING!

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

1) Not true. It all still happened in a universe where Logan Fails. Gotta love that multi-verse stuff.

2) Keep it about animation, please. Unless you want to bring comic books into things. Then Canon's gonna get a lot more screwy.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I hereby bring the comic books into things.

New 52 anyone?

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Ok, How many times are they gonna play with Lobo's original canon story line?

Still having the newer Lobo makes for a better connection with the original Lobo look, just glad it didn't include the same outfit...
    Though they still need to explain the transitions a bit better, especially with an alternate Lobo origin story written in an older New 52 comic....

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The bounty hunter from DC?

I like the one they came up with when Brad Garret played him in the Superman animated series.

"I'm the last Zarnian. I blew up my home planet for my high school science project. Gave myself an A."

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Yep, The main man himself.

Stormwatch #20 of the New 52, they change it up to the reason he killed them all was because he was sick and tired of all the genetic upgrades they were doing, but the antidote he made for himself made him into big buff pale warrior we know.

Now the Lobo New 52 series, has a Lobo closer to the original character in the Omega Man #3 that was a Czarnian slaver in love with the princess of Czarnia. Still yet unclear as to how or why he killed off the race though.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Some comic characters start in the cartoons and become canon. X23 and Harley Quinn for example

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I've changed my mind. Canon happens

Last edited by Clayton_n; 12-22-2014 at 04:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information