AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Did you hear about the solar freaking roadways?!

Senior Member Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-19-2014 05:44 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Fungy Chroom

Default Did you hear about the solar freaking roadways?!

http://www.solarroadways.com/intro.shtml

In my opinion it's a pretty good start to convert old roads or built new roads with this sort of material. As global warming is more of a threat now than ever, stuff like this could be the only way to slow it down. If electricity is generated on the roads, it wouldn't be hard to make electric powered cars that can be recharged by drving on these roads. Reducing the amount of oil we're wasting on driving.

What's your opinion about solar freaking roadways?
    He's just a dandy guy, in space.

Senior Member PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Crisis Mooncompact Mario 1-Up Mushroom Katana
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-23-2014 01:36 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Did you hear about the solar freaking roadways?!

It's a cool idea but given every country's economy status, I don't think it will be affordable.

Senior Member Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom has a reputation beyond repute Major.Tom's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by PinkGalaxies View Post
    It's a cool idea but given every country's economy status, I don't think it will be affordable.
    True, however instead of investing in different 'green energy' projects, this one might be the best given that they will pay for themselves in the end.

Senior Member PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoe View Post
    True, however instead of investing in different 'green energy' projects, this one might be the best given that they will pay for themselves in the end.
    I laughed when they said something like "the economy is in the can, but these things pay for themselves!!" They definitely will not pay for themselves. Also, if they don't require us to use oil and are to get rid of power bills, why would our government want us to have that? The government always ants their hands in something. If these roads ever became a reality I could see taxes sky rocket and there be some kind of fee or bill. No way we would just be able to drive on them willy nilly with nothing to worry about like we do now.

Senior Member Яequiem has a reputation beyond repute Яequiem has a reputation beyond repute Яequiem has a reputation beyond repute Яequiem has a reputation beyond repute Яequiem has a reputation beyond repute Яequiem has a reputation beyond repute Яequiem has a reputation beyond repute Яequiem has a reputation beyond repute Яequiem has a reputation beyond repute Яequiem has a reputation beyond repute Яequiem has a reputation beyond repute Яequiem's Avatar
    Gil
    Sneaky
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-19-2014 12:07 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: elguapoassassin

The reason they say these will pay for themselves is because they diminish the cost of what it takes to power our countries by completely replacing it with solar panels. If we were to re-do all the roads with these then it really would save us A LOT of money and have a positive effect on the environment.
    As the great warrior-poet Ice Cube once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good".

Gil
    Bookworm
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by PinkGalaxies View Post
    I laughed when they said something like "the economy is in the can, but these things pay for themselves!!" They definitely will not pay for themselves. Also, if they don't require us to use oil and are to get rid of power bills, why would our government want us to have that? The government always ants their hands in something. If these roads ever became a reality I could see taxes sky rocket and there be some kind of fee or bill. No way we would just be able to drive on them willy nilly with nothing to worry about like we do now.
    Ofcourse the government wants to ant their hands in, they always do. However, if power bills go down yet taxes go up. And you can drive on the generated power even including some fees for use or whatever. As for right now you pay to drive aswell for gass. In another 20-30 years most've earths available oil will be consumed and if they don't have a decent alternative by then we're pretty much frelled. Even thinking about where global warming is at now, irriversible dammage is already done, there has to be a point in time where even they will have to admit that everything is doomed.

If something revolutionary such as this doesn't happen anytime in the next 10 years, I'm pretty sure there won't be much humans arround in 2114.

Gil
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Яequiem View Post
    The reason they say these will pay for themselves is because they diminish the cost of what it takes to power our countries by completely replacing it with solar panels. If we were to re-do all the roads with these then it really would save us A LOT of money and have a positive effect on the environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potatoe View Post
    Ofcourse the government wants to ant their hands in, they always do. However, if power bills go down yet taxes go up. And you can drive on the generated power even including some fees for use or whatever. As for right now you pay to drive aswell for gass. In another 20-30 years most've earths available oil will be consumed and if they don't have a decent alternative by then we're pretty much frelled. Even thinking about where global warming is at now, irriversible dammage is already done, there has to be a point in time where even they will have to admit that everything is doomed.

If something revolutionary such as this doesn't happen anytime in the next 10 years, I'm pretty sure there won't be much humans arround in 2114.
    All I'm saying is the government doesn't like us saving money. There will be some cost we will not like. After all, the government pretty much has decided it's going to take over businesses, and that's something that's never supposed to happen. It's a nice idea, but we will pay for it.

Senior Member Яequiem has a reputation beyond repute Яequiem has a reputation beyond repute Яequiem has a reputation beyond repute Яequiem has a reputation beyond repute Яequiem has a reputation beyond repute Яequiem has a reputation beyond repute Яequiem has a reputation beyond repute Яequiem has a reputation beyond repute Яequiem has a reputation beyond repute Яequiem has a reputation beyond repute Яequiem has a reputation beyond repute Яequiem's Avatar
    Gil
    Sneaky
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

I get what you're saying, that's any government really. Look at all the countries that have free health care, it's free but they pay higher taxes. Or countries like Sweden where you can go to University for free, but higher taxes. Free always comes at a cost but honestly sometimes the benefit is worth the cost.

Also I just learned that there are over 4 million miles of roads in the united states, and solar panels cost $6 per square foot. If each road averages 20 feet wide and has solar panels under it, that's $2,534,400,000,000; two thirds the national budget and that's not accounting for the cost of LED's, heaters, weight sensors, the plastic surface, micro chips that can communicate with each other, or the cost of installation, which would be astronomical in and of itself.
    Last edited by Яequiem; 05-24-2014 at 08:00 PM.
    As the great warrior-poet Ice Cube once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good".

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Gifts Ice Cream Ice Cream Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-22-2017 11:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I get what you're saying, that's any government really. Look at all the countries that have free health care, it's free but they pay higher taxes. Or countries like Sweden where you can go to University for free, but higher taxes. Free always comes at a cost but honestly sometimes the benefit is worth the cost.

Also I just learned that there are over 4 million miles of roads in the united states, and solar panels cost $6 per square foot. If each road averages 20 feet wide and has solar panels under it, that's $2,534,400,000,000; two thirds the national budget and that's not accounting for the cost of LED's, heaters, weight sensors, the plastic surface, micro chips that can communicate with each other, or the cost of installation, which would be astronomical in and of itself.
    Not to mention the cost of maintenance; cleaning the panels to ensure the operate correctly, replacing parts that wear or break over time ... and of course, the inevitability of ijits stealing them or graffiti-ing all over them.
    : The Game. You just lost it. :

My signature was so old it broke. RIP signature.

Gil
    Sneaky
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

I just read they surpassed their 1 Million dollar goal for funding so this is a go forward all thanks to public funding and donations. I think through public and private funding through big name corporations this can very easily become possible. It'll take some maintenance but from what I've read these things just pop out and are replaced so it shouldn't be any more than replacing a pothole. Once big energy corporations find a way to fund this and make money off it I have a feeling a lot of places will be seeing these. It'll be nice to take a step into the future finally.

Gil
    Bookworm
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

I just read they surpassed their 1 Million dollar goal for funding so this is a go forward all thanks to public funding and donations. I think through public and private funding through big name corporations this can very easily become possible. It'll take some maintenance but from what I've read these things just pop out and are replaced so it shouldn't be any more than replacing a pothole. Once big energy corporations find a way to fund this and make money off it I have a feeling a lot of places will be seeing these. It'll be nice to take a step into the future finally.
    1 Million dollar through public and private funding, that's spectacular.
    Nice to see that in our time at least some people do give a grozit.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information