AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Thread: Anime Research for Thesis

Threaded View

Junior Member Shadowfury89 is on a distinguished road Shadowfury89's Avatar
    Gil
    Stressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-06-2014 01:29 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ravyn89

Default Anime Research for Thesis

Hi. First let me apologize if this topic is in the wrong section. I swear I browsed through every one and the Miscellaneous section appeared to me as the most appropriate place to start this topic.

I am in the last semester of grad school, where this summer I will finally earn my MFA in Screenwriting. Finally! For most of this semester, I have been working on my thesis. And this thesis, I pitched as a half-hour anime/animation TV series. I have already written the first draft and will soon start revising it for the first revised draft. Now the part I'm not looking forward to is a 10-page research paper of comparing and contrasting my anime show (although I've only written the pilot) to pre-existing works. Most of them half to be anime, and a few need to be live-action.

Problem is, my list of anime/non-Japanese animation that inspired my thesis and are in the similar genre or have great similarities is too short. These are DARKER THAN BLACK, VAMPIRE HUNTER D, HELLSING, TRINITY BLOOD, A CERTAIN MAGICAL INDEX, and YOUNG JUSTICE (non-Japanese anime), and FULL METAL PANIC to some extent. Problem with this list is that Vampire Hunter D is a movie, not a show...so that's really ineligible for my thesis. And I'm not really certain ACMI, Young Justice, or Full Metal Panic are qualified either. I need about 5 to 8 anime/non-Japanese shows for my thesis.

To give you an idea of what my hypothetical anime show is like, here is a list of live-action shows: GRIMM, BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER, ANGEL, X-FILES, AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D., and ARROW to some extent.

My thesis "anime" show is about a guy with magic powers whose job it is to kill supernatural/fantasy creatures (mostly vampires and werewolves), reunites with a sister who thinks he's been dead for ten years (who he feels he has to protect her from the evil creatures), he also happens to be a willing host to a demon who can at anytime take over his body permanently (it's a complicated agreement...and an equally complicated explanation), and surprise....his ex-girlfriend and former best friend (who are now a vampire and werewolf, respectively) have finally caught up with him and want to kill him. And did I mention all this occurs in a futuristic/high-tech world where science and magic, mythical creatures and humans barely co-exist in the year 2056 AD? Confused? I'm sorry, but that is literally all the relevant information I can give you without attaching my actual script or series bible.

So if you know of any anime or non-Japanese animation that are similar in genre, or the shows I listed, or similar to what I could tell you about my thesis, please let me know. I have to watch at least the first season (if there are multiple seasons), before I can start working on my thesis paper and I have about 3 weeks before it's due.

Many thanks and good health!

~Shadowfury89
    Last edited by Shadowfury89; 04-22-2014 at 01:26 AM.

Thread Information