AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld

🐮🔪 Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-13-2019 08:41 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld

This is series of animated shorts is supposedly based on Amethyst, one of the characters from DC Comics, though I don't think this show's protagonist has the same backstory or anything as the original DC Comics character of the same name (and I'm guessing is supposed to be a completely different character, who just happens to have the same name). It is made by DC Entertainment, a brand by the same company that owns DC Comics. This show sadly never made it past its pilot mini series, which consists of 7 episodes, each between 1m16s and 1m20s in length.

The story involves a girl (who appears to be in her early to mid teens) named Amy, who is sent into the world of a video game she was playing shortly after the prince character (the game's protagonist) she's playing gets defeated in the last level, which somehow causes the game to glitch and ultimately pull her into it. In this world, she is Amethyst, princess of Gemworld (which the name of the game's world), and has a magic sword and shield, which appear to actually be made entirely out of energy (or maybe a supernaturally strong amethyst crystal). When she first enters the game world, she has a mohou shoujo style henshin, which turns her into the princess in the game. Unlike most video game princesses though, she takes the fight to the badguys, rather than ending up getting kidnapped. Just because the game's protagonist was defeated before she was pulled in (thus he's a dead when she is sucked into the game, and she becomes the protagonist), does not prevent her from kicking enemy butt. In fact, she fights far better than the game's original protagonist.

In keeping with the video game world concept, each episode is called a "level" in this miniseries. You can watch all 7 episodes on DC Entertainment's Youtube channel. I've directly linked to them for your convenience. Oh, and there's something interesting in one of the episodes. It's a quote from a character in an actual video game that is said by one of the characters in this show. See if you can find the quote. You'll have to be familiar with some older games to get this one.

Episode 1

Episode 2

Episode 3

Episode 4

Episode 5

Episode 6

Episode 7

Update:
    I just found some interesting info on Wikipedia regarding the original Gemworld comic book. In the original story, the princess's name is Amy, and she is the princess of the Amethyst kingdom in an alternate realm called Gemworld. In the show, Amy is the name of a girl from earth who has a video game called Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld, where the world and kingdom are both called Gemworld (at least I assume this, as multiple kingdoms are not mentioned and the place is simply called Gemworld) and the name of the princess of Gemworld is Amethyst (instead of her name being Amy, and the kingdom's name being Amethyst), which Amy is transformed into (magical girl style) when she gets sucked into the game. In the original Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld series of DC comics, video games do not play any role in the story at all.
    Last edited by Animedude5555; 02-24-2014 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Changed the word "anime" to "show", as there is some dispute as to whether this should be called a "cartoon" or an "anime"
    Click the banner to visit my website.

My website is still under construction, so please visit it often to see it as it grows. You may have to press F5 to refresh the page if there's something new that's not showing (in some rare cases, you may have to use Ctrl+F5). If you wish to contact me about my site and are a member of Animeforum, PM me. If you are just a guest visiting Animeforum, please use [email protected]

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

Default Re: Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld

There's more here that's closer to the original comics than you think. The idea with Gemworld being a video game Amy Winston created is new, along with some of the video game clichés. But still, we'll have to wait until they do more than just 7 short episodes. Though there's not much, being that aside from appearances, Amethyst only had 12 issues of a comic series to her name until the 2012 reboot of Sword of Sorcery that was canceled in 2013.
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

🐮🔪 Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade/13.666 View Post
    There's more here that's closer to the original comics than you think. The idea with Gemworld being a video game Amy Winston created is new, along with some of the video game clichés. But still, we'll have to wait until they do more than just 7 short episodes. Though there's not much, being that aside from appearances, Amethyst only had 12 issues of a comic series to her name until the 2012 reboot of Sword of Sorcery that was canceled in 2013.
    Actually she is seen playing the game in the first episode. I don't think she created it.

I heard that this was a pilot that was intended to make a bigger series, but failed to do so. However I've also heard that it was just intended as a series of shorts to run in the DC Nation time block on Cartoon Network. Not sure which of these is true.

The differences I noticed between the DC Nation short eps and what I read about the comic books are these things.
    Main character's normal self: Human in show; Gemworld resident in comic book
    Main character's name: Amy as normal human in the show, and Amethyst as the princess of Gemworld in the show; Amy as princess of Amethyst Kingdom in the comic
    The protagonist's kingdom: not mentioned by name in the show (possibly intended to be called Gemworld); Amethyst in the comic
    The realm/universe that this story takes place in: earth to start with in the show, and later Gemworld in the show; Gemworld at all times in the comic
    Last edited by Animedude5555; 02-23-2014 at 01:34 AM.

My website is still under construction, so please visit it often to see it as it grows. You may have to press F5 to refresh the page if there's something new that's not showing (in some rare cases, you may have to use Ctrl+F5). If you wish to contact me about my site and are a member of Animeforum, PM me. If you are just a guest visiting Animeforum, please use [email protected]

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Animedude5555 View Post
    Actually she is seen playing the game in the first episode. I don't think she created it.
    No, she did. How do you think she already knew so much about Gemworld, and the level 6 glitch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amethys...evision_shorts

I heard that this was a pilot that was intended to make a bigger series, but failed to do so. However I've also heard that it was just intended as a series of shorts to run in the DC Nation time block on Cartoon Network. Not sure which of these is true.
    As far as I know it's just a 7 ep short, though they might break out with more later on. Again, one can never tell, especially with how Amethyst's publication career being so short to begin with.

The differences I noticed between the DC Nation short eps and what I read about the comic books are these things.
    Main character's normal self: Human in show; Gemworld resident in comic book
    Main character's name: Amy as normal human in the show, and Amethyst as the princess of Gemworld in the show; Amy as princess of Amethyst Kingdom in the comic
    The protagonist's kingdom: not mentioned by name in the show (possibly intended to be called Gemworld); Amethyst in the comic
    The realm/universe that this story takes place in: earth to start with in the show, and later Gemworld in the show; Gemworld at all times in the comic
    "Princess Amethyst, the daughter of the ruling House of Amethyst, was orphaned by Dark Opal of the House of Opal. Following the death of Amethyst’s parents, the witch Citrina whisks her away to be reared in safety by the Winston family on Earth." Both show and comic, she starts out on earth, and during her adventures in Gemworld, she is told/shown that Gemworld is her real home.

"The series tells the story of a teenage girl named Amy Winston who discovers that she is the orphaned princess of the magical Gemworld." Wrong, she is known as Amy on Earth and Amethyst in Gemworld in both comics and the show. And it's always been Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld. The only change is in The New 52, where "In this version, Amethyst is Princess Amaya of House Amethyst, taken to Earth and raised as Amy Winston by her mother Lady Graciel in order to protect her from Amaya's ruthless aunt Mordiel, who has usurped control of their house."

No, it's Gemworld in both comics and show. Amy/Amethyst takes to calling it Gemworld in the show. I believe you're confusing it with House of Amethyst/House Amethyst.

And still wrong. The first part of the comic is of her returning to Gemworld from Earth, like the show does.

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amethys...ss_of_Gemworld
    Last edited by DeathBlade/13.666; 02-23-2014 at 10:35 AM.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

Gil
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

No, she did. How do you think she already knew so much about Gemworld, and the level 6 glitch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amethys...evision_shorts

As far as I know it's just a 7 ep short, though they might break out with more later on. Again, one can never tell, especially with how Amethyst's publication career being so short to begin with.

"Princess Amethyst, the daughter of the ruling House of Amethyst, was orphaned by Dark Opal of the House of Opal. Following the death of Amethyst’s parents, the witch Citrina whisks her away to be reared in safety by the Winston family on Earth." Both show and comic, she starts out on earth, and during her adventures in Gemworld, she is told/shown that Gemworld is her real home.

"The series tells the story of a teenage girl named Amy Winston who discovers that she is the orphaned princess of the magical Gemworld." Wrong, she is known as Amy on Earth and Amethyst in Gemworld in both comics and the show. And it's always been Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld. The only change is in The New 52, where "In this version, Amethyst is Princess Amaya of House Amethyst, taken to Earth and raised as Amy Winston by her mother Lady Graciel in order to protect her from Amaya's ruthless aunt Mordiel, who has usurped control of their house."

No, it's Gemworld in both comics and show. Amy/Amethyst takes to calling it Gemworld in the show. I believe you're confusing it with House of Amethyst/House Amethyst.

And still wrong. The first part of the comic is of her returning to Gemworld from Earth, like the show does.

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amethys...ss_of_Gemworld

From my understanding, in the comic books, Gemworld is the planet that it takes place on, and Amethyst is the name of just one kingdom (and apparently the name of the princess of that kingdom as well, from what you've said). Why she is considered princess of the whole planet (Princess of Gemworld) and not just her own kingdom, I don't know.

However in the show, the kingdom of Amethyst is never mentioned (only the princess is called Amethyst). The world she's in is called Gemworld, but the kingdom is never mentioned by name, so I assumed that in the show, it was intended that either the kingdom covered the whole planet and therefore needed no name, or that it was intended to be called Gemworld, same as the planet's name.

Also, you point to a wikipedia article that claims she actually designed or created the game. That is not specifically mentioned in the show, so can't be considered canon, and therefore is just fan speculation written into the wikipedia article. I've watched all 7 episodes. I assumed she knew about the glitch in level 6, simply because every time she played that far the game crashed.

---------- Post added at 06:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 AM ----------

Note to moderators:
    According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amethys...evision_shorts this show was actually animated in Japan by the animation company David Production. So not only is it obviously drawn in an anime style (not enough to get it considered for the anime section by itself, as lots of modern western cartoons like Avatar use an anime style due to the popularity of anime) it was also animated in Japan (not enough to get it considered for the anime section by itself, as lots of western cartoons have used overseas animation studios for the actual job of animating them). These two facts combined though (being animated in Japan, and being drawn in an anime style) I believe are enough to get it considered to be "an anime TV show" and thus moved to the general anime section, or even to the magical girl anime section of the forums (because indeed "magical girl" is this anime's genre). Not sure if the fact that it was created for the DC Nation time block on Cartoon Network (an American cable TV channel) and that DC Comics/DC Entertainment (an American company) is behind the plot are sufficient to get it demoted from "anime" status, but I hope not. If you moderators here feel up to it, please move this thread to the appropriate anime section of the forums. I've edited the first paragraph in my first post, to reflect the new info I've learned about this being animated in Japan.
    Last edited by Animedude5555; 02-24-2014 at 08:40 AM.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Ok, first off. Why would anyone that just plays a game only, continue playing it until it crashed at the same time, every time? It must be one hell of a game, especially with crashing at such a low level. Thus it's fairly implied that she created it.

Secondly, It never got that far into the story with the show. Therefore you don't know what the Kingdom is called. They simply address it as her home. Typically the Kingdom is named after the king/ruling family if not named for something important or special already, especially in fictional works. To learn more about it, they'd have to cover after the initial defeat of Dark Opal, to his complete demise, and probably dig into the Lord of Chaos arc.

Finally, It can stay here being that it is on Cartoon Network, but more importantly from DC Comics and the DC Nation Block. in which we can talk more about the comic book too here. Unless you're gonna tell me that Brianna Drouhard, who designed the show, is Japanese too.

Gil
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Ok, first off. Why would anyone that just plays a game only, continue playing it until it crashed at the same time, every time? It must be one hell of a game, especially with crashing at such a low level. Thus it's fairly implied that she created it.

Secondly, It never got that far into the story with the show. Therefore you don't know what the Kingdom is called. They simply address it as her home. Typically the Kingdom is named after the king/ruling family if not named for something important or special already, especially in fictional works. To learn more about it, they'd have to cover after the initial defeat of Dark Opal, to his complete demise, and probably dig into the Lord of Chaos arc.

Finally, It can stay here being that it is on Cartoon Network, but more importantly from DC Comics and the DC Nation Block. in which we can talk more about the comic book too here. Unless you're gonna tell me that Brianna Drouhard, who designed the show, is Japanese too.
    Well, maybe the game was really fun, and maybe level 6 was hard to get to (like in lots of RPGs it can take hours to get to the next level, and judging by the game interface I saw in the animated show, it looked like an RPG). And maybe it was so fun, it was worth playing up to level 6, even if it crashed after that. Again, the show never specified that she designed it (unless I'm forgetting something that someone said). And the only place that makes such a claim is Wikipedia, which doesn't link to the source that they used to make that claim. The thing is, fans of shows tend to add their own speculation to Wikipedia articles on said shows, and I do not consider Wikipedia to be considered a canon source of info (unless it references a source that is canon, like the official blog site of the writer of the plot). If however the original writer for the show's plot, who worked at DC Comics, came out and officially announced in his blog that the plot involved a girl who designed the game, then I'd consider that aspect of the plot to be canon. I consider any fan-speculation to not even be close to what can be considered canon. And I consider anything posted to Wikipedia, that does not link to a source, to be nothing but speculation. Also, there is the possibility she keep playing level 6 over and over trying to figure out what caused the glitch, so she could get avoid it and continue on to the next level, because as a player of the game (not designer) she was getting tired of getting stuck on level 6. Again, my point is that it is entirely possible for it to be either way, including my initial guess that she was not the designer of the game, or your guess that she was the designer. But until I see something official that proves she designed the game (from someone who wrote the show's plot, and not a wiki article, unless it's backed up by what the show's plot writer said), a claim in any regard as to whether or not she designed it is nothing more than pure speculation.

Also who's Brianna Drouhard. Never heard of her. You say she designed the show? Where did you find that info?

And finally, should I go back to my opening post and re-edit it to mention that it is going to stay here and not be moved to an anime section, because it has been officially stated by AF staff to in fact be a western cartoon, rather than an anime. Because I've already removed the statement that it is a cartoon in my opening post, and changed it to say that it is an anime, after finding out that David Production studio in Japan animated it. Should I now change that back now to say that because it aired on Cartoon Network, it has been officially determined by AF staff to actually be a non-Japanese cartoon? Please tell me what to do here.
    Last edited by Animedude5555; 02-24-2014 at 05:52 PM.

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

Also who's Brianna Drouhard. Never heard of her. You say she designed the show? Where did you find that info?
    The credits are a good place to look. And you know, that link you posted. And no it's still not anime since it was designed and written in the US. The fact it was animated in Japan is just simple outsourcing. Style doesn't matter since there's many different styles of anime in Japan.

Gil
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I made this cool AMV based on this show. It's actually more like a silent film than most AMVs, as there is actually a plot that goes with it, not just a bunch of scenes mixed with music. Check it out here.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2159880/ <- Brianne Drouhard

And btw, you don't have to edit/re-edit anything if you don't want to. If people are too lazy to read what's transpired in 10 posts, than all you really did was show them the entire show.
    Last edited by DeathBlade/13.666; 02-25-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Gil
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

What did you think of my AMV/silentfilm that I made from this anime? Did you like it?
    It's just a couple posts up from here in this thread, but if you don't want to take the time to scroll up to it, here's a link to the exact post I put it in http://www.animeforum.com/showthread...=1#post2801256

-----Posted on 02/26/2012 at 06:02 PM-----

Here's some AWESOME fanart I just found of her.

Last edited by DeathBlade/13.666; 02-27-2014 at 11:44 AM.

Viva la Touhou !!!!! CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-25-2022 10:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: SabotageDaemon

Though I've seen those animated shorts on DC Nation, when I hear the name Amethyst my mind goes a different direction.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Steven_amethyst_174x252.png
Views:	350
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	82134

Gil
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CapnJack View Post
    Though I've seen those animated shorts on DC Nation, when I hear the name Amethyst my mind goes a different direction.
    Attachment 82134
    Who's that?

Viva la Touhou !!!!! CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack has a reputation beyond repute CapnJack's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-25-2022 10:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: SabotageDaemon

Who's that?
    Amethyst from the show Steven Universe on CN.

Gil
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CapnJack View Post
    Amethyst from the show Steven Universe on CN.
    Never heard of it before.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information