AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: How do you define "trolling"?

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2024 08:51 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default How do you define "trolling"?

It seems that trolling has many definitions online depending on who is accusing who of doing it.

I personally attach it to people who interrupt a thread's discussion to call the person who started the thread or anyone sticking to the topic "trolls" merely by participating rather than either joining in on the topic (however much they may dislike it) or finding something better to do with their time than hang around whining about how much they do not like it. {Also people who intentionally wait until you've left the forum before responding so you can't answer back.)

What's your definition? (Also the immediate answer of claiming I'm a troll for asking this would make you a troll, so please don't.) I'm asking seriously because it seems to come up a lot, especially when two people disagree about... anything.

Last edited by Clayton_n; 08-27-2013 at 05:41 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

2. Thanks .:neuko:. thanked for this post
    Banned Forum / Chat Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts V Guitar Electric Guitar Black Guitar
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-30-2016 08:54 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: gurutar Steam ID: gurutar2015

Default Re: How do you define "trolling"?

a troll is an internet user that attempts to get a rise out of/purposely mislead other internet users. they're generally just bored internet users.

it's also someone who preys on less wary users, obtaining information that would be detrimental to another person's reputation and releasing it.

trolls are the anarchists of the innerweb, seeking only to destroy, annoy and be amused at other people's unhappiness.

i'm usually called a troll when i disagree with someone vehemently and they think they're losing the argument - time to play the troll card and try to get others to unite against me. it's really cowardly and weak, and people who label others as trolls when they know they're not are also trolls.

trolololo

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Seems then that calling someone a "troll" really means: I have lost this argument or do not understand what you are saying, but like a punk I refuse to admit it and instead choose to blame you.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

Troll:
    1a. Noun
    One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

1b. Noun
    A person who, on a message forum of some type, attacks and flames other members of the forum for any of a number of reasons such as rank, previous disagreements, sex, status, ect.
    A troll usually flames threads without staying on topic, unlike a "Flamer" who flames a thread because he/she disagrees with the content of the thread.

1c. Noun
    A member of an internet forum who continually harangues and harasses others. Someone with nothing worthwhile to add to a certain conversation, but rather continually threadjacks or changes the subject, as well as thinks every member of the forum is talking about them and only them. Trolls often go by multiple names to circumvent getting banned.

2a. Noun
    Sometimes compared to the Japanese ‘Oni’, a troll is a supernatural creature of Scandinavian folklore, whose race was thought to have carried massive stones into the countryside (although actually the result of glaciers). Lives in hills, mountains, caves, or under bridges. They are stupid, large, brutish, hairy, long-nosed, and bug-eyed, and may also have multiple heads or horns. Trolls love to eat people, especially small children.
    The Females of the species are generally kinder and more intelligent, but still fairly hideous.

2b. Noun
    An aesthetically repulsive person, often has terrible social skills, usually a woman. See Troglodyte.

2c. Noun
    An old, unattractive gay man who hits on young men, and cannot seem to understand that they want nothing to do with him.

3a. Verb
    To fish by dragging bait behind a moving motor-boat.

3b. Verb
    To cruise for immediate sexual pleasure without commitment. Often characterized by an older man, seeking a younger man, or any man for immediate, often anonymous sexual contact.

4. Noun
    A joke disguised as an outrageously stupid statement or question, intended to trap people into believing it is serious.

5. Verb
    To use acid and ectasy simulataneously. See trolling.
    (Comes from ‘Tripping’ on acid, and ‘Rolling’ on ecstasy)

6. Noun
    A toy popular in the 1980’s, a ‘troll’ is a cute little plastic trolls with fluffy, colored hair.

Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    Seems then that calling someone a "troll" really means: I have lost this argument or do not understand what you are saying, but like a punk I refuse to admit it and instead choose to blame you.
    My my, how very passive aggressive of you.

Troll-
    Someone who creates dozens of threads with no real conversation value to boost post count
    Someone who posts off topic, spams pictures/videos/etc]
    Someone who flaims [insulting other members, posting inappropriate/rude comments, turning a conversation into an argument]
    Some who ignores forum rules because they feel they simply dont apply to them

Also I didnt "intentionally wait for you to leave." Dont be so full of yourself, I have other things to do with my time =p

And yes, youre trolling here because youre making a very passive aggressive thread about the discussion I was *trying* to have about how not every anime has a stalker, but instead you blew up with OMG YOURE WRRRROOOOONG while blowing up my bandwidth in the process.

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    (:| |: )
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

7. Likes DeathBlade/13.666 liked this post
    Banned Forum / Chat Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

my my, this is getting saucy *microwaves some pop corn*

go on...

9. Likes Ωmega, DeathBlade/13.666 liked this post
    ☢ CAUTION!! ☢ CAUTION!! ☢ DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX has a reputation beyond repute DenjaX's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Ice Cream Scorpio Jack O Lantern
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-23-2016 06:02 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: sugarcoatedshit

Unfortunately, the definition of troll is being misused now. I see a lot of people who shares different opinion calls them a troll instead. I mean, wth?

I actually respect those who are actual funny trolls and intelligent/wise trolls.

I don't know why...

DON'T CLICK BELOW

^Link^

11. Likes Albear liked this post
    Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

A few individuals here like to misuse the word troll...lol
    Last edited by Hanamaru Kunikida; 08-27-2013 at 08:23 PM.

Gil
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

time to put on my cape and be an internet vigilante

this thread was made with the intent of stirring up arguments between users about an endlessly and hotly debated issue. it's the same as making a thread called "9/11 was a conspiracy" - it's a set-it-and-forget-it flamewar generator, and it's already started to take effect.
    Last edited by Sympathy; 08-27-2013 at 09:25 PM. Reason: edited to keep it family friendly

14. Likes Albear liked this post
    Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    569 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-30-2016 01:28 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Trolling has one objective.. And it is not to get people mad or hate on you, but to amuse the person that initiated it.

Also, trolling will always be more effective in real life.

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Butthurt thread alert. Time to go 25-0 and nuke this thing.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Gifts Ice Cream Ice Cream Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-22-2017 11:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yoko Littner View Post
    Roger roger, Red Skull. Permission granted. You may flip the table, I repeat - you may flip the table. Over. -fzzt.-
    : The Game. You just lost it. :

My signature was so old it broke. RIP signature.

Senior Member Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-14-2015 01:15 AM
    Threads

Anyone initiated SNAPCOUNT yet?

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Ωmega View Post
    My my, how very passive aggressive of you.

Troll-
    Someone who creates dozens of threads with no real conversation value to boost post count
    Someone who posts off topic, spams pictures/videos/etc]
    Someone who flaims [insulting other members, posting inappropriate/rude comments, turning a conversation into an argument]
    Some who ignores forum rules because they feel they simply dont apply to them

Also I didnt "intentionally wait for you to leave." Dont be so full of yourself, I have other things to do with my time =p

And yes, youre trolling here because youre making a very passive aggressive thread about the discussion I was *trying* to have about how not every anime has a stalker, but instead you blew up with OMG YOURE WRRRROOOOONG while blowing up my bandwidth in the process.

*Snicker* Okay, everything you just listed is a matter of opinion. I get it. You don't like me.

Unfortunately you seem to have mistaken me for someone who cares. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    *Snicker* Okay, everything you just listed is a matter of opinion. I get it. You don't like me.

Unfortunately you seem to have mistaken me for someone who cares. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Wrong again. Do I think you can be an idiot? Yes. Hate? No. I dont hate people, takes too much time and energy. And no, its not a matter of opinion. A lot of what I posted are scattered around the forum rules. You should give them a read sometime

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    (:| |: )
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

teed's Puppy International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818's Avatar
    Gil
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-07-2020 05:11 PM
    Threads

Deliberately saying something that would be seen as offensive that you yourself don't view as true or something you adhere to all to get ruse.
    Last edited by International 4-8818; 08-28-2013 at 01:38 PM.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

23. Thanks Nemo Outis, DeathBlade/13.666 thanked for this post
Closed Thread

Thread Information