AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New York - The Mountains (not the city!) hiking trip

Senior Member T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew's Avatar
    Gil
    Pensive
    Gifts Sushi2
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2016 10:43 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Wink New York - The Mountains (not the city!) hiking trip

So I know most wouldn't think New York (state) as beautiful countryside with the largest park in the U.S. full of mountains and streams, bears, and even moose. Hopefully these shots might change your minds (sorry no bears or moose this time though).

I recently took a 3 day trip into The Great Range, one of the section of the Adirondack Park's high peaks area, and hiked up several mountains. Growing up in northern NYS we hiked many of the mountains there as a family, but once I moved out after college I lost touch with all those things I used to do and love. Well started getting back into those things a few years ago, and finally just a couple weeks ago hiked in the Adirondacks again after over 10 year hiatus. I did it solo, and the trip was fantastic.

I apologize there are a lot of pics, to anyone with a slow connection.

My new pack and trekking poles at the trailhead parking.

Ascent up my first peak in NY in many years, Gothics Mt. Cables were installed here (very rare in Adirondacks) to assist hikers. Probably unneccesary in good weather but I'm sure is handy in icy or slippery conditions. In any case it was fun to use them!

And yes, I am actually barefoot. Its my thing. Shoes are for wussies (just kidd'n).

View from on top was fantastic. I waited so long to be back in the Adirondacks and experience this kind of view after a strenuous hike that I almost cried.

Trails varied from mud to dirt, rocks, roots, boulders, just about everything. but the view above was a common sight, boulders as far as the eye can see.

Though I had most of all the mountains to myself, a couple times a fellow hiker was there to help me take a couple pics.

Hand-hewn logs get you through the muckiest areas.

I took several panoramas on my trek. Click on some of these for even larger versions.

The setting sun. I wish I could have stayed ontop for a nice sunset but I was still hours away from basecamp over difficult terrain.

View of Mt. Marcy and Panther Gorge from Haystack.

The 'Enchanted Forest'.

Basecamp for a couple nights and days. A babbling brook within earshot made the most pleasant sounds.

Some of the nicest views could be had from down in the bottoms of the valleys too.

Well I better stop before I explode anyone’s modem. I hope to make a few trips a year to the mountains, its such a great experience in so many ways. Just wish my photography was better. I really struggled with lots of post processing to salvage many of these and other photos. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty good intermediate. But either something was screwy with my new camera or these conditions demanding some particular skills I was lacking. Exposure was my main problem, and unfortunately I didnt know they were so blown out at all during the trip. A lot to learn still, but hope you enjoy some of the sights from one of my most favorite spots near where I grew up.

Edit: Oh and I even had some anime memorabilia with me... not so apparent in the first pic of my backpack so here is another... I attached my keychain Clare symbol to the top lid of my pack. Was going to bring some other stuff but my pack was really pushing capacity and I had to trim it down to the absolute minimum essential gear. Should have left those minimalist Merrel trail shoes at home since I never used em.

Last edited by T-Stew; 08-24-2013 at 10:13 AM.
    ~ Tristan

Banned Forum / Chat Doan Bao is on a distinguished road Doan Bao's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-17-2015 04:26 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Re: New York - The Mountains (not the city!) hiking trip

so cool, i really like picnic tour in the forest

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information