AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: firearm appreciation/discussion thread

Banned Forum / Chat Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts V Guitar Electric Guitar Black Guitar
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-30-2016 08:54 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: gurutar Steam ID: gurutar2015

Default firearm appreciation/discussion thread

i'm making this thread so that the firearms enthusiasts of the site can have a place to discuss, compare and generally appreciate firearms of all kinds that they own, wish to own in the future or just goggle over. this thread is NOT intended to be a place to discuss fictional guns from anime and movies, although off-handed comparisons and references are acceptable.

after i buy a car i intend to own a varitable arsenal, including plinking and hunting rifles, small and large caliber pistols/revolvers and shotguns. i currently own a Remington 870 Express 12 guage sporting shotgun with nice looking wood furniture, and two interchangeable barrels: birdshot and slug. the slug barrel is equipped with front and rear iron sights, which i adore - the bird barrel has fiber optics in front. this gun has taken a deer at 50 yards with the slug barrel using 3" mag buckshot.

that's the gun i own. these are the guns i'm going to own (this will be an ever-growing list):

this is the Advanced Armament Corps Micro-7 bolt action in .300 blackout. i like this gun because i have a small frame and the short length and light weight of this weapon would be ideal. the .300 cartidge is also only marginally larger than a .223, which is about as small as you'd want to get for hunting big game (.223/5.56 is actually the preffered NATO round because of its light recoil and damage potential).

this is the Kimber Warrior SOC (special operations capable) M1911. the M1911 is arguably the most popular handgun in America right now, and practically every firearms manufacturer has an M1911 variant in production. Kimber is one of the more reputable ones, and the have a lot of variants to choose from. i selected the Warrior SOC because i like the design of the grip furniture and the finish on the slide, but more importantly because of the included Desert Tan laser sighting system. i've always been hot on laser sights because they allow very rapid target aquisition at close range and in low light - in other words, your generic self-defense scenario. besides that, the 7 .45 ACP rounds (+1 in the chamber) a 1911 affords you is more than enough to stop multiple attackers, if you keyhole each one. (keyholing is rapidly putting two rounds of ammunition into a target in roughly the same place - the cavity this creates is devestating.) the Warrior SOC also has comparably light recoil - 16 pounds.

i chose a .45 caliber pistol over the more common (in self defense) 9mm because of one simple fact - one .45 slug is enough to incapacitate an attacker because of the wicked cavity it creates and the immense, slow moving energy they provide. 9mm is the preffered caliber for rapid-fire and rapid target reaquisition, but in self defense situations, you might only get a chance to fire one shot before the attacker is on you. i don't trust a 9mm to stop an attacker in one hit.

what do you guys think? which would you prefer in a close range self defense scenario?

2. Likes Nemo Outis liked this post
    Senior Member Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-14-2015 01:15 AM
    Threads

Default Re: firearm appreciation/discussion thread

The .45's always a good way to start. If not, it is one with some background anyway. My only snag is the mag capacity - only seven or eight plus one means more filled hollow metallic bars for you to have on in constant. Fatigue is never an ally from what I understand.

With the take on your choice of that bolt gun, I'm assuming you've enough green stuff to feed it consistently so the only matter really boils down to availability of the .300 which also probably is remedied by buying online.

When I can gain a steady flow of income, my preference leads to collecting any and all arms using the 10mm Auto. Probably would have a Gen4 Glock 20 or 29 as my EDC - need to find some time for a CC class for this. I'd also keep something in .40 S&W as well.

If I was monetarily unlimited though, the Ten Collection's progress would be simultaneous with snatching up any and all Imperial Japanese Weaponry.
    Last edited by Nemo Outis; 08-23-2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Wanted to add reply to original poster.

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pocket Watch Katana Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2019 09:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by -X- View Post
    The .45's always a good way to start. If not, it is one with some background anyway. My only snag is the mag capacity - only seven or eight plus one means more filled hollow metallic bars for you to have on in constant. Fatigue is never an ally from what I understand.
    If you have the hands for it, they make .45s with double stacked magazines. My Glock holds 13+1 for example and I don't have any problem gripping it. Still less than what a similarly sized 9mm will hold, but closer.

Senior Member Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis has a reputation beyond repute Nemo Outis's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    If you have the hands for it, they make .45s with double stacked magazines. My Glock holds 13+1 for example and I don't have any problem gripping it. Still less than what a similarly sized 9mm will hold, but closer.
    Para-Ordnance and STI frames, I know. Thing with those being the price range 'less you can find a good condition secondhand. There's still the ergonomics issue like you mentioned and the increased weight too though.

Seeing as how medicated hints he's probably going to lug it around for defense and hunting, I guess most of the concern can be dealt with via stacked practice. I just personally can't get over the regular magazine cap of the 1911 types.

Banned Forum / Chat Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy has a reputation beyond repute Sympathy's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

-X-, your worries about the limited mag capacity of the 1911 are certainly founded, but i can't imagine a scenario where i'd need more than 8 rounds. attacks are usually 1 on 1, and if there were more than that i suspect dropping the attackers' buddy would discourage them from coming any further - your average street hood pry isn't aware that the weapon only carries 7-8 rounds.

then there's the option of double-stacked mags, but this might not be a viable option for me as i have small hands. a more preferable option would be slightly extended magazines, perhaps 10 - 12 rounds of ammo. my preference in carry holsters is shoulder-slings so the longer mag wouldn't have an issue of getting caught up on clothing - although the downside is that you always have to wear some sort of jacket or coat. not a big issue for me, i dig casual jackets .

when i get off work i'll post a few more weapons i'd love to own and why - one of them is the h&k sl-8, god what a shmexy 5.56 rifle (unfortunately i'd have to buy it pre-owned as it's no longer in production).

Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by medicated View Post
    -X-, your worries about the limited mag capacity of the 1911 are certainly founded, but i can't imagine a scenario where i'd need more than 8 rounds. attacks are usually 1 on 1, and if there were more than that i suspect dropping the attackers' buddy would discourage them from coming any further - your average street hood pry isn't aware that the weapon only carries 7-8 rounds.
    Like I said, the points I brought up are probably moot from the beginning and nothing detrimentally pivotal. Most being pliable with continuous practice routines and mindset.

I just personally like to consider any and all possibilities. The script never really follows every detail to our desired tee. That, and I have obsessions with the number of cartridge capacity in magazines - prefer increments of fives and tens.

then there's the option of double-stacked mags, but this might not be a viable option for me as i have small hands. a more preferable option would be slightly extended magazines, perhaps 10 - 12 rounds of ammo. my preference in carry holsters is shoulder-slings so the longer mag wouldn't have an issue of getting caught up on clothing - although the downside is that you always have to wear some sort of jacket or coat. not a big issue for me, i dig casual jackets .
    Flipping through my recent copy of Shotgun News, Mec-Gar has an ad out showcasing ten, eleven rounders; don't know how their quality is. Obviously, they stick out a bit.

I've somewhat recently gained a liking to shoulder rigs. 'D be nice to have Galco's Miami Classic, Miami Classic II, and VHS.

when i get off work i'll post a few more weapons i'd love to own and why - one of them is the h&k sl-8, god what a shmexy 5.56 rifle (unfortunately i'd have to buy it pre-owned as it's no longer in production).
    Another choice that's interesting. Price is the largest problem I would know with the SL8.

Gil
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I just personally like to consider any and all possibilities. The script never really follows every detail to our desired tee. That, and I have obsessions with the number of cartridge capacity in magazines - prefer increments of fives and tens.
    just a tad ocd, are we? heh i am but not to that extent.

Flipping through my recent copy of Shotgun News, Mec-Gar has an ad out showcasing ten, eleven rounders; don't know how their quality is. Obviously, they stick out a bit.

I've somewhat recently gained a liking to shoulder rigs. 'D be nice to have Galco's Miami Classic, Miami Classic II, and VHS.
    an unintended benefit to extended mags is their extra mass helps in ejecting spent magazines without the use of those nifty weights. and yeah, shoulder rigs have always caught my eye. i dig them because when you draw, the weapon is already very near or dead on the level you'd be at to aim and fire. when you draw from the hip, the prefered method to level the weapon is to pull it close in to your body as you bring it up, then push it away from you and into the firing position - imo, this is wasted effort and time.

i went to a gunshow recently with my cousin and there was a local holster company (cant remember the name, i've gottheir card in my wallet) that was selling and demonstrating an entirely polymer holster. they're built to fit the generic 9mm semi-auto profile so that pretty much any will work. it's entirely one piece with no strap, the polymer is tight enough to hold the pistol in place. you'd think this would present a problem in which someone could just grab your gun - however, they demonstrated that simply holding pressure against the side of the holster makes it impossible to draw the gun. it can be configured to fit on a belt or in the shoulder rig. i thought it was rather f*cking nifty.

Another choice that's interesting. Price is the largest problem I would know with the SL8.
    yep, msrp is near 1,500 smackers, but for me it would be a trophy gun and worth every penny. also pretty much any h&k gun is on tbe high side of price - you get what you pay for though.

this is the Heckler & Koch SL-8 civilian sport rifle. it's chambered for 5.56/.223, is semi-auto and gas-operated. it can be fitted witha 10 or 30 (wow!) round magazine. it's basically the ultimate civilian carbine, being very reliable and comfortable with awesome ergonomics and asthetics. it's based off of the German G36 assault rifle (currently standard issue for the kraut military and a fine gun) - the simarities are striking.

my first and foremost attraction to this rifle, i'm not gunna lie, is its drop-dead-gorgeous asthetics. its furniture is entirely high-grade polymer which comes in white or black. also, as seen in the photo comparison, it comes in two variants- one with a linear top and the other with a carrying handle over the charging rod. the charging rod, like on its father the g36, is first pulled to either side of the weapon (adding to its ergonomics), then pulled rearward to charge.

most people would claim that the venerable M4 and all its many variants is the creme-de-la-creme as far as civilian carbines - mostly because its very customizable with its 4 sided picatinny rail system, and people like to add silly and entirely useless (in sporting scenarios) gadgets like laser sights and forward grips. keep your tacticool crap, i'll take the sl8.

note: i'd never use this gun to hunt any kind of game. sport rifle only.

that honey is the Kel-Tec SU 16 civilian carbine. lots of simarities to the sl8 - 5.56/.223, gas operated, 10/30 round magazine. i'd like this gun just as a plinker toy - something to take to deer camp and hand around to my drunk buddies to shoot bowling balls with. Kel-Tec is well known and respected in the civilian rifle market and have a wide assortment of civilian carbines. not shown in thr above photos is the C variant - its total unloaded weight is a mere 5 pounds and has an entirely foldable stock so that the gross length would only be measured from the back end lf the hand grip to the muzzle - 25 inches! its a really hot item for tourists in large forested areas, hikers, pretty much anyone who might find themselves in an unfriendly encounter with a wild animal. there are shorter, lighter guns, but not with this stopping power.

anywho enough wishing and dreaming. what do you guys think of the U.S. armed forces possible adoption of the 5.56 FN SCAR? it's certainly time for a new rifle-overdue in fact. we're basically still using the grandson of the M16 first used in Nam. while the SCAR is an excellent choice, i wish U.S. soldiers were more familiar with bullpup rifles. follow the example of the frenchies (FAMAS), the brits (L85A1) and the israelies (Tavor). the bullpup offers two large improvments over standard configuration rifles - increased ergonomics and shorted overall length without sacrificing barrel length. with the Army and Marines doing a lot of mudhouse to mudhouse and room to room clearing and engaging in Afghanistan and nearly anywhere else, the shorter length is crucial to quick engagement of targets. holding the rifle closer to your body also greatly increases overall stability.

however the armed forces of murica are NOT familiar with bullpup configuations, and the brass is stubborn. the french used the FN FAL, a standard mag forward rifle, before tbe FAMAS, and the israelies used the AK and Galil. why can't we follow their example?

thoughts?

Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

just a tad ocd, are we? heh i am but not to that extent.
    I am who I am. Haven't really succeeded in managing to change it.

Did jade significantly in the past three years though.

an unintended benefit to extended mags is their extra mass helps in ejecting spent magazines without the use of those nifty weights.
    "Nifty weights"? You referring to the extended base pads, or some sort of modification for competitions?

The autos I've handled so far (Colt Delta Elite and a Glock subcompact variant I can't remember at the moment) had no issues releasing magazines.

anywho enough wishing and dreaming. what do you guys think of the U.S. armed forces possible adoption of the 5.56 FN SCAR? it's certainly time for a new rifle-overdue in fact. we're basically still using the grandson of the M16 first used in Nam. while the SCAR is an excellent choice, i wish U.S. soldiers were more familiar with bullpup rifles. follow the example of the frenchies (FAMAS), the brits (L85A1) and the israelies (Tavor). the bullpup offers two large improvments over standard configuration rifles - increased ergonomics and shorted overall length without sacrificing barrel length. with the Army and Marines doing a lot of mudhouse to mudhouse and room to room clearing and engaging in Afghanistan and nearly anywhere else, the shorter length is crucial to quick engagement of targets. holding the rifle closer to your body also greatly increases overall stability.

however the armed forces of murica are NOT familiar with bullpup configuations, and the brass is stubborn. the french used the FN FAL, a standard mag forward rifle, before tbe FAMAS, and the israelies used the AK and Galil. why can't we follow their example?

thoughts?
    Far as I know, that modular piece is mostly exclusive to—as per its name—Special Operations elements within the U.S. Military. Wikipedia cites it being commissioned to all branches of S.O.C.O.M., the Marines, and L.A.P.D.'s S.W.A.T., but that bit of information is probably best taken with a grain of salt. Elsewhere though, I'm not sensing any wind that the SCAR will become the next standard issue. A droogie of mine working as a Chinook Doctor in the Army recalled to me that his time in basic consisted of Franken-Sixteens - I imagine that's what he'll get anywhere else. Right 'fore his deployment to Afghan started, he's also showed me the STANAG mags that were issued to him; all but two or three had weakened springs. The followers were of the tan anti-tilt type.

With years synonymous with recent works envisioning "Space Age/Advanced Future Soldier" nearing, I wouldn't mind seeing a difference in format of standards, but such actually being realistically implemented is bleak from my assessment. Simply: no money, not exactly enough (or by those in positions to make decisions, worth) time. In fact, the U.S. Army just killed off their recent competition program.

On a slightly unrelated note, I've a new favorite rifle of mine since its announcement. A personal pièce de résistance if you will:

HS Produkt VHS-2

Gil
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

the u.s. military field tested so many possible replacements for the m4 (h&k416, oicw and xm8 just to name a few) that it's kind of frustrating that they haven't chosen a successor yet. the oicw was obviously never going to get off the ground because it was overly-complicated and very bulky, but the computer system seemed solid. the ability to program grenades to detonate at pre-determined distance was innovative yet time consuming.

that VHS looks strikingly of h&k design, with its matte black furniture and selector switch. the ability to utlize a grenade launcher witgout the use of rails is pretty cool, although, my personal favorite in the bullpup market is the tavor-21 and micro-tavor. it can also be fitted with an m203 without using rails, can eject from either side and, particularly the micro-tavor, is very compact. it also looks pretty bada**.

anyway, it's time to dispel a stupid notion about miniguns. despite what you see in videogames and movies, a minigun (if you're not aware, the minigun is the multi-spinning-barrel chainsaw that appears in the Predator movie and nearly all bad fps') can never be wielded by infantry. the recoil and weight, especially with 2,000 rounds of ammunition (about 5 total seconds of sustained fire) is far too excessive for the modern infantry soldier. perhaps with the advent of power suits (or maybe terminators), we'll see miniguns in the hands of soldiers, but not until then.

Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

the u.s. military field tested so many possible replacements for the m4 (h&k416, oicw and xm8 just to name a few) that it's kind of frustrating that they haven't chosen a successor yet. the oicw was obviously never going to get off the ground because it was overly-complicated and very bulky, but the computer system seemed solid. the ability to program grenades to detonate at pre-determined distance was innovative yet time consuming.
    'Ey, look on the bright side: the XM25 Counter Defilade Target Engagement System is about to possibly lose its "X" designation soon. They're thinking one Punisher per squad.

that VHS looks strikingly of h&k design, with its matte black furniture and selector switch. the ability to utlize a grenade launcher witgout the use of rails is pretty cool, although, my personal favorite in the bullpup market is the tavor-21 and micro-tavor. it can also be fitted with an m203 without using rails, can eject from either side and, particularly the micro-tavor, is very compact. it also looks pretty bada**.
    Yeah, this time around, the Croats definitely had some level of inspiration from the G36 variants - namely in its proprietary magazine (the rifle itself is also STANAG compliant!) and the lowering of the carrying handle/top rail from what I see. The first VHS was more or less a flat bullpup with reported Kalash-esque reliability sprinkled with FAMAS details. More importantly though, I was instantly reminded of the late model StA-52 featured in Killzone 2 and 3. Been hyping this for a while, but I think this is the closest we're going to get for now in replicating it.

Hell, now that I think, the first VHS isn't that far from the early StA-52 either.

For me, the TAR-21 and X95 comes at a second or third to the VHS-2. I've heard of its civvy version already shipping, and am interested in how it sells in the field.

Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    569 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-30-2016 01:28 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I grew up in a neighborhood where gangbangers cause trouble with the cops. Both sides usually use 9mm pistols, and that little semi auto gun happens to be my favorite, only because it is the one I'm most familiar with. I prefer smaller handhelds over larger tactical firearms with a larger mag like some of the guns shown in this thread.. I was invited to a shooting range by a friend and forgot what kind of gun I had used there... All I knew that going full auto was fun.

Gil
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

i've seen the FAMAS compared to tbe helghast ar, now that you mention the VHS it's much closer. all it needs is a drum magazine (a la Calico smg) and an integral pump action shotgun - how goddamned beast would that be?

"kalash-esque" reliability? that's about as bold a statement as can be made regarding firearms. kalashnikov's AR can be fired reliably inundated with rust, mud, water, sand... goddamn near anything. needless to say i'll have to see it to believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Albear View Post
    I grew up in a neighborhood where gangbangers cause trouble with the cops. Both sides usually use 9mm pistols, and that little semi auto gun happens to be my favorite, only because it is the one I'm most familiar with. I prefer smaller handhelds over larger tactical firearms with a larger mag like some of the guns shown in this thread.. I was invited to a shooting range by a friend and forgot what kind of gun I had used there... All I knew that going full auto was fun.
    fully autlmatic 9mm pistol... sounds like the good ole Glock-18. i've seen those things with drum mags LOL. just 12 seconds of fireworks.

Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

i've seen the FAMAS compared to tbe helghast ar, now that you mention the VHS it's much closer. all it needs is a drum magazine (a la Calico smg) and an integral pump action shotgun - how goddamned beast would that be?
    You mean a helical magazine. Almost all Helghan weaponry utilized the system.

I missed the single-shot shotgun feature when they disappeared from the second installment and onwards. My headcanon with it is that the production methods and existing small arms designs had to be simplified (or nearly completely changed) and further cheapened in cost due to the war taking a heavier toll on the already economically challenged environment of Helghan.

"kalash-esque" reliability? that's about as bold a statement as can be made regarding firearms. kalashnikov's AR can be fired reliably inundated with rust, mud, water, sand... goddamn near anything. needless to say i'll have to see it to believe it.
    That's the vicarious survey-observation result I'm coming up with from reading into Google translated pages of Croatian forums and other sites regarding the VHS' performance and reputation; not my opinion per se. It's not something readily confirmable (unless Springfield Armory decides to import it semi-auto; really hoping here) or universally true - hence the "reportedly" before that description. It's only the internet after all.

I will mention that in the case of comparison between the VHS and FAMAS (since that's what the pairing usually is with some crowds), the former uses a form of hybrid system between long and short-stroke piston gas-operation whereas the latter is lever-delayed blowback.

The complaints I've picked up concerning the first VHS from memory is the non-ambidextrous case ejection, the trigger block/fire mode selector (which is copied more or less in full from the FAMAS), and quality of polymer on some parts of the rifle.

Gil
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Ah, helical. thanks for refreshing my memory - the helghan AR and calico use cylindrical mags that slide onto rods, then they're locked into the mag housing. drum mags are nothing like that.

when you say that the quality of the polymer is questionable in some places, i think that rules out "kalash-eqsue reliability". the kalash is in a league of its own as far as battle endurance, and for some reason i have a hard time believing that Croatia, with such little experience in the AR manufacture and development department, could match it. they're definitely no Italy, or, in fact, even Russia.

earlier you mentioned the X-95, and so far upon researching it, i can't find specified anywhere the "suggestions made by special forces" that have been taken into consideration for the development of the rifle. could you specify what these changes were?

also, speaking of XM-designated weapons, it's a shame that the XM-307 was scrubbed. from what i've read, it was scrubbed due to the low rate of fire in the prototypes. with a little more development, i'm positive that this timing issue could have been resolved, and then are guys in camo could have had an airbursting "smart" mounted grenade launcher, as well as an advanced and relatively light-weight .50 caliber hmg (with the replacement of just 5 parts, this conversion can be made).

back onto the topic of Gun I Want...

This is another HK civilian carbine, the USC. simple blowback operated and semi-auto, it's based off the tried-and-true UMP-45 military sub-machine gun. as the name suggests, the chambering is .45 ACP. this would be an incredibly easy-shooting, compact plinker toy, as well as a very fun squirrel destroyer. with the aid of a red-dot or or even 4x ACOG scope, the USC has a respectable kill range for using a pistol round. i really appreciate the aesthetics of this weapon - the sharp angles and integral polyer stock are very pleasing to my eye.
    Last edited by Sympathy; 08-25-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Ah, helical. thanks for refreshing my memory - the helghan AR and calico use cylindrical mags that slide onto rods, then they're locked into the mag housing. drum mags are nothing like that.
    Slide onto rods? Both the 52 and Calico types are latched on to their respective housings from what I know. Only the StA-52 has a two-stage lever locking mechanism of some kind.

when you say that the quality of the polymer is questionable in some places, i think that rules out "kalash-eqsue reliability".
    Not always so. Could be that whoever opined that meant he didn't like the "feel" of the polymer much similar in the way Jeremy Clarkson would criticize the plastic components of a car's dashboard and trim.

Also, I'll repeat again that it's not my opinion or observation. As much as I would want the opportunity to handle all VHS variants for an impression (and own both the VHS-D02 and K02), there really isn't a way yet. Sadly, if ever.

the kalash is in a league of its own as far as battle endurance, and for some reason i have a hard time believing that Croatia, with such little experience in the AR manufacture and development department, could match it. they're definitely no Italy, or, in fact, even Russia.
    You're not aware of the Yugoslav Wars, are you.

earlier you mentioned the X-95, and so far upon researching it, i can't find specified anywhere the "suggestions made by special forces" that have been taken into consideration for the development of the rifle. could you specify what these changes were?
    You'd have to take it up with the bloke who designed the arm or with a rep from I.W.I. for a complete list of what was implemented in the X95 - assuming they're open about that. Just looking at the pictures and some descriptive text between it and the original Tavor though, I would start off with alterations in ergonomics (slight tubular, now more angular handguard, grip with its trigger guard, edited stock) and added modular attributes (more rails, no surprise) with barrel as well as overall length being reduced some.

Now, the above was the regular TAR-21 against the baseline X95. In the case of general changes between all variants of the two models, looks to me like it is the stock and grip.

also, speaking of XM-designated weapons, it's a shame that the XM-307 was scrubbed. from what i've read, it was scrubbed due to the low rate of fire in the prototypes. with a little more development, i'm positive that this timing issue could have been resolved, and then are guys in camo could have had an airbursting "smart" mounted grenade launcher, as well as an advanced and relatively light-weight .50 caliber hmg (with the replacement of just 5 parts, this conversion can be made).
    XM307's that automatic grenade launcher utilizing the twenty mil air-burst rounds similar to the ones used in the XM25, right? I would guess it's the budget cuts again. That and the Mk 19 probably still has some life left.

back onto the topic of Gun I Want...

This is another HK civilian carbine, the USC. simple blowback operated and semi-auto, it's based off the tried-and-true UMP-45 military sub-machine gun. as the name suggests, the chambering is .45 ACP. this would be an incredibly easy-shooting, compact plinker toy, as well as a very fun squirrel destroyer. with the aid of a red-dot or or even 4x ACOG scope, the USC has a respectable kill range for using a pistol round. i really appreciate the aesthetics of this weapon - the sharp angles and integral polyer stock are very pleasing to my eye.
    I think H&K just ceased production of this nifty one this year.

EDIT: Found the article. Word is discontinued, but not confirmed on actual stop in production.

EDIT II: We have a new challenger!

Gil
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Slide onto rods? Both the 52 and Calico types are latched on to their respective housings from what I know. Only the StA-52 has a two-stage lever locking mechanism of some kind.
    huh, i guess my memory of the Calico is a bit foggy. but i really did always assume that StA rifles had a rod of some kind - the bottom of the rifle is always below-screen when reloading, and i'd never closely examined the weapons in descriptive articles.

Not always so. Could be that whoever opined that meant he didn't like the "feel" of the polymer much similar in the way Jeremy Clarkson would criticize the plastic components of a car's dashboard and trim.

Also, I'll repeat again that it's not my opinion or observation. As much as I would want the opportunity to handle all VHS variants for an impression (and own both the VHS-D02 and K02), there really isn't a way yet. Sadly, if ever.
    i suppose i'm just being prejudice against the gun. for some reason i can't imagine any gun that isn't a Kalashnikov being as reliable as one. and no worries, i was aware that it wasn't your personal opinion, you mentioned it before.

You're not aware of the Yugoslav Wars, are you.
    nope!

You'd have to take it up with the bloke who designed the arm or with a rep from I.W.I. for a complete list of what was implemented in the X95 - assuming they're open about that. Just looking at the pictures and some descriptive text between it and the original Tavor though, I would start off with alterations in ergonomics (slight tubular, now more angular handguard, grip with its trigger guard, edited stock) and added modular attributes (more rails, no surprise) with barrel as well as overall length being reduced some.

Now, the above was the regular TAR-21 against the baseline X95. In the case of general changes between all variants of the two models, looks to me like it is the stock and grip.
    yeah, from comparing images of the TAR-21 and the X-25, i figured it was something benign like that. although i must comment, the weapon is infinitely more shmexy with the new angular handgrip and extra rails. also far more functional, especially for cqc, where the bullpup configuration naturally excels anyway - throw a tactical light and laser sight on that thing and you're that much more deadly.

XM307's that automatic grenade launcher utilizing the twenty mil air-burst rounds similar to the ones used in the XM25, right? I would guess it's the budget cuts again. That and the Mk 19 probably still has some life left.
    i suppose so. shame, the technology was promising. i'm assuming the XM307 uses the same computer technology as the XM25, and assuming i'm correct, it's a huge mark against it. only when the range is automatically ascertained and adjusted for will the 307 be worth the investment in development funds. the possible investment would be well worth it in the end - especially on a vehicle, where you don't get the opportunity to properly aim.

I think H&K just ceased production of this nifty one this year.

EDIT: Found the article. Word is discontinued, but not confirmed on actual stop in production.
    doesn't bother me, i'm sure there's tons of people out there who bought one, got bored and decided to recoup.

i'll reserve judgement until full specifications are released. we'll see whether "Kalashnikov Inc" has earned its namesake. sexy damn gun though.

Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

i suppose i'm just being prejudice against the gun. for some reason i can't imagine any gun that isn't a Kalashnikov being as reliable as one. and no worries, i was aware that it wasn't your personal opinion, you mentioned it before.
    I can understand where and why one would gather that belief. I don't think it's that ill-placed. If it helps though, the Croatian Army has and still are using Zastava M70s as a part of their inventory. Wikipedia has it that they're gradually being succeeded by the aforementioned VHS types. I personally don't think they'll all go to waste or completely gone however.

So long as you had it in mind, it's okay. Just wanted to keep it clear since my head kept registering your wordings of that part in a stuck way.

nope!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yugoslav_Wars

Not a smooth read-through, but interesting bits here and there. I still haven't gotten through the entire article and its sub-articles myself.

yeah, from comparing images of the TAR-21 and the X-25, i figured it was something benign like that. although i must comment, the weapon is infinitely more shmexy with the new angular handgrip and extra rails. also far more functional, especially for cqc, where the bullpup configuration naturally excels anyway - throw a tactical light and laser sight on that thing and you're that much more deadly.
    Totally agree with the angular bit. When making an effective weapon platform, why not do it with some style.

i suppose so. shame, the technology was promising. i'm assuming the XM307 uses the same computer technology as the XM25, and assuming i'm correct, it's a huge mark against it. only when the range is automatically ascertained and adjusted for will the 307 be worth the investment in development funds. the possible investment would be well worth it in the end - especially on a vehicle, where you don't get the opportunity to properly aim.
    There's the nightmare of distribution, training, and few other details I can't fully fathom too. You guys'll probably have to wait for another 80s and a new Cold War to arrive for easier leverage in new weapons introduction. Or until a dead-need for such things arrive.

doesn't bother me, i'm sure there's tons of people out there who bought one, got bored and decided to recoup.
    Used are probably in abundance, but it was still a bit of heart-drop for me.

i'll reserve judgement until full specifications are released. we'll see whether "Kalashnikov Inc" has earned its namesake. sexy damn gun though.
    I'm pretty much there for the looks in this one. It being still in the making though, can't help but harbor some anticipation for it.

Gil
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

that's the Kriss CRB. obviously a derivative of the Super V, it utilizes the same propriety recoil reducing technology. its barrel is extended to accommodate for the civilian rifle law, and it's also housed in a jacket that acts as a suppressor. normal mags are 13 count and there are extended ones for 30.

it supports up to 4 rails, although i'd only use the top one for sighting mechanisms. it's very common for the bottom rail to have attached foregrip, but i personally think that such are useless and only serve to lower controlability.

with its weight system decreasing muzzle climb, this would be a mighty sport carbine.

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

My two cents on this is that, whatever else you might like to get for whatever reasons, get yourself some .22s. They're relatively cheap to buy, and much much muuuuch cheaper to shoot. Fun too in terms of not being punishing in the slightest with recoil so you can sheet 'em all day. Especially with a handgun they're useful for building up trigger control and basic skills. These days they also have "tactical" .22s so you can play around with different types of sights and whatnot.

I also find they're great for introducing people to firearms for the first time. If you live in the right sort of area they're good for shooting pests and small game animals. And if you find you really have a knack with them, shooting .22s is an Olympic sport .

For those of you interested in military styled rifles, you might want to see if there are any 3 gun competitions in your area. Sadly there aren't any near me, but they sound like fun.

Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

There are those that tend to under appreciate the .22. Used to plink with a Ruger 10/22 and an older production Marlin Model 60; always a cause for entertainment.

Really ought to be more international shooting sports like back in the classic times. Personally don't see it as that different from allowing archery or javelin throwing.

Changing ideologies, I guess.

Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Really ought to be more international shooting sports like back in the classic times.
    I'm not sure what the sporting situation was like in "the classic times". Is it possible that the sports in question have just changed? As far as I can tell things like 3-gun, cowboy action shooting, and practical/action sports are rising in popularity.

And then you have the less formal but fun "zombie" shoots and whatnot at ranges.

Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The abundance compared to other contemporary sports seems secluded and only in select areas. Especially when you step outside the States.

Take for example, there was a girls' rifle team at a high school in D.C. back in 1922. What I wouldn't've done if there was a shooting oriented extra curricular activity when I was in high school.

If I go back to Japan, our shooting sports're regulated and relegated to skeet, air rifle, and "beam" rifles. Otherwise, airsoft.

teed's Puppy International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818's Avatar
    Gil
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-07-2020 05:11 PM
    Threads

I moved from California and now I am living in Seattle. The benefit is that the gun laws up here are a lot less restrictive. For one, I can have a concealed and carry license within the city of Seattle. For now, I own the Beretta 92FS. It has always been my dream gun. I saw someone mentioning 45. cal and 9mm and I learn more towards a 9mm. The 45. round is nice. It's powerful and slow and packs a punch but I prefer a larger mag size and something with less kick for precision and to recover from the kick. I just got approved for my concealed and carry license so i'll be picking up a Glock 26 gen 4. The size and mag size makes it a nice fit for concealed and carry, but in light of the recent gun violence that has been occurring in downtown Seattle, I would feel a lot safer having it by my side. Another gun I want to buy soon is the Remington 700 or if I am in a spending mode I would love to pick up the Rhino 60ds

Gil
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

@sunnyside .22 bullets aren't as easy to get as they used to be in my area because the federal gov bought up a large percentage of them. i hear they're selling for ¢50 apiece in detroit.

@International 4-8818

sir, you have impeccible tastes in revolvers. that thing really does resemble a rhino. for such an intimidating-looking gun, the kick from that .357 wouldn't be that bad.

my revolver favorite:

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/double.../webley-e.html

dat's the british service webley. it has 3 sweet features that make it a favorite: it's break-top, it auto-ejects cartidges, and it comes in .445 super magnum chambering as well as .38

ever since seeing my first break-top revolver (which was a Schofield), i've loved the design, simply because it's a break from the norm. being able to flip open your chambers like a double-barrel shotgun just makes a. break-top that much cooler.

the auto-ejection is another awesome feature because it eliminates the movement required to do it manually - shaking out shells in a firefight probably isn't a soldier's favorite part of his job.

lastly tbe fact that it comes in a super-large and relatively small caliber makes it flexible. for a tank crew, having the ultimate killing power of the .445 is important because by the time he's vulnerable to the enemy, they're literally right on top of him.
    Last edited by Sympathy; 08-28-2013 at 11:32 PM.

Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Just something to watch and take in for the day:

Closed Thread

Thread Information