AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Do you roleplay?

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you roleplay?

Quote Originally Posted by GameGeeks View Post
    I do, but only through D&D. Forum rps just don't provide what I like in an rp which is reaction. Posts give players time to think. Besides that 99.9% of rps here last a week and are dead. Sunny's is the only one that bucks that trend and even then it's only posted in every few days.
    Mine will last two years. I have 730 day schedule in motion.. Dedication will be key. I hope AF will be a good place for this!.. Lol.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Gifts Ice Cream Ice Cream Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-22-2017 11:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yoko Littner View Post
    Mine will last two years. I have 730 day schedule in motion.. Dedication will be key. I hope AF will be a good place for this!.. Lol.
    Depends on the RP setting/story as to whether I'll take interest or not. =/
    : The Game. You just lost it. :

My signature was so old it broke. RIP signature.

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pocket Watch Katana Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2019 09:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Besides that 99.9% of rps here last a week and are dead. Sunny's is the only one that bucks that trend and even then it's only posted in every few days.
    Games here do tend to die fast. Though not always. And I think a lot of them are fun while they last.

And my game is currently winding down as it's near completion, but it didn't get that long by only have a post or so a day. Though Nightmarchers isn't as good a fit for AF as some people (including myself) thought it would be.

My previous game, Magic Mixer, is probably more indicative of what AF can do. It had about the same number of posts, but the whole game was completed in under a year, having a good 10-20 posts a day for pretty much the entire time. (Looks like it averaged a little over 13.4 per day ).

I do, but only through D&D. Forum rps just don't provide what I like in an rp which is reaction. Posts give players time to think.
    I'm curious what exactly you mean by that. Do you mean that you think they make more mistakes and rash judgements in a live setting and you miss that?

AF seems to be pretty great for getting people to sign up for a game and make some initial posts. Dedication, however, is harder to come by, but you never know. I say go for it. Just prepare yourself mentally to say "Well, I had a fun 120 days" if it doesn't manage to go the full 730 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic~Romance View Post
    Every once in a while during RPs that I'm involved in, it comes to my attention that my posts are significantly longer than most others in the thread... I end up wondering if I take the storytelling aspect too seriously....
    It's way too easy for me to get caught up in developing and planning how I want my character(s) to act, that I don't pay much attention to how much I've written until I've already posted.
    Usually that's a good thing (and I'll probably pester you if I decide to run another game here because you sound good.)

However you can take that too far. There was one game that I was a player in on another forum where it basically got killed by a player that would put out massive posts. Even I would stare at the block of text before me and get that tl;dr feeling...except since it's an RP you HAD to read it or not post, or more insidiously, you could decide that you'd get to reading it later, maybe after checking 9gag.

And I think that's what did the game in as the other players started dropping out.

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

@sunnyside I'll answer in order. First, looking at the date of Magic Mixer it was at a time when AF was more active. Least from what I'm told. Second, I mean something similar to theater without the preset lines. Having to know your char fully and be able to think and react like them.

☆*:.。. UGUU .。.:*☆ nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL's Avatar
    Gil
    Yeehaw
    Gifts Chibi Crisis Moon Compact 039 - Jigglypuff Neko Tv
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-14-2013 01:50 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post

However you can take that too far. There was one game that I was a player in on another forum where it basically got killed by a player that would put out massive posts. Even I would stare at the block of text before me and get that tl;dr feeling...except since it's an RP you HAD to read it or not post, or more insidiously, you could decide that you'd get to reading it later, maybe after checking 9gag.

And I think that's what did the game in as the other players started dropping out.
    Maybe it wasn't interesting? I mean, his writing. Some people overdo it by writing a lot of unnecessary details.
    quality>quantity

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ranshiin View Post
    Depends on the RP setting/story as to whether I'll take interest or not. =/

I'm still working out the details, though I wanna be sure Im ready before I post this bad boy up.

Yeah sunny. 120 days would still be great. Unfinished but really good. Haha.

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Gifts Ice Cream Ice Cream Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-22-2017 11:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'm still working out the details, though I wanna be sure Im ready before I post this bad boy up.

That's fine.

To be honest, if I did take interest in the RP, I would probably post in it as a dedicated means. Granted, I couldn't promise more than one post per day, but I wouldn't just drop it.

I've only taken part in I think one RP on this forum; it died about halfway through for some reason, probably because the GM tried to hurry the plot up with a time-skip and people lost a bit of interest. I hope yours doesn't go that route, at least.
    : The Game. You just lost it. :

My signature was so old it broke. RIP signature.

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pocket Watch Katana Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2019 09:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Be sure to read the stickies, you need to get the RP approved before you post it. The requirements aren't harsh, the mod just wants to know that you've put some thought into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by nrL View Post
    Maybe it wasn't interesting? I mean, his writing. Some people overdo it by writing a lot of unnecessary details.
    quality>quantity
    Actually it was a she. And I guess one could argue that if her writing was sufficiently good than people wouldn't mind all the reading. Still, she certainly wasn't bad. I think it was just too much too often.

First, looking at the date of Magic Mixer it was at a time when AF was more active. Least from what I'm told.
    Hmmmm. Maybe. I'm not so sure though. Games tended to die fast back then too.

You can sort threads by sort date here. Looking at the time it does seem as if new games were started more frequently, and maaaybe they tended to last longer than now. However there is still a lot of activity in the sign in threads, so I'm suspicious the difference may have more to do with a lack of GMs.

Second, I mean something similar to theater without the preset lines. Having to know your char fully and be able to think and react like them.
    How does having time to think on a forum change that? If anything you'd think the forum setting and having time would help, as tabletoppers have a tendency to drift out of character when pressed for time.

Wait, are you talking about live action role play? Playing by forum is certainly different than that!

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

@sunnyside No, not live how you're thinking. And it's different because you don't have that time. Posts give a safety net. That's not there when doing it at a table top. People aren't going to wait for you to think about your reply. And yes it can derail, though generally not due to time since campaigns can last years. You just stop at a good point and pick back up. Generally the derailment is from the fact that they're friends and you tend to make silly jokes about the game due to that.

The Cookie Bandit! Tragic~Romance is a splendid one to behold Tragic~Romance is a splendid one to behold Tragic~Romance is a splendid one to behold Tragic~Romance is a splendid one to behold Tragic~Romance is a splendid one to behold Tragic~Romance is a splendid one to behold Tragic~Romance is a splendid one to behold Tragic~Romance's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Gifts Cookie Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-12-2013 08:26 PM
    Threads

I think that the reasons most RPs die early on, is that many of them are run by inexperienced GMs who may not realize that it takes both effort and patience to manage an RP properly... It is easy to establish a story and START a Roleplay around it, but it's another thing entirely to monitor its procession, enforce rules, and maintain interest in the story. For the longer running Roleplays in particular, coming up with ideas to advance the storyline(s) can be quite a challenge, especially if there are characters in different areas of the roleplay's world.

Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ranshiin View Post
    That's fine.

To be honest, if I did take interest in the RP, I would probably post in it as a dedicated means. Granted, I couldn't promise more than one post per day, but I wouldn't just drop it.

I've only taken part in I think one RP on this forum; it died about halfway through for some reason, probably because the GM tried to hurry the plot up with a time-skip and people lost a bit of interest. I hope yours doesn't go that route, at least.
    Ew. I'd never do a time skip, mainly because it comes off as lazy and not a very great decision by the game master. I can see losing interest, but doing a time skip is dragging the whole roleplaying community down by you losing interesting. If you don't have interest, why should your fellow players have any?

Yeah Sunny. I've read them years back. Not sure if they changed lol.

Closed Thread

Thread Information