AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: how do u learn japanese?

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    MegataKitsune is on a distinguished road MegataKitsune's Avatar
    Gil
    Pensive
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-31-2014 10:05 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Re: how do u learn japanese?

Personally, I began watching unholy amounts of anime and listening to music, repeating the things I heard. Anime is good to a point but unless you know what you're doing, you can end up speaking like an anime character and people don't really speak like that ^^; Ufufu~ It's really useful for certain cultural points and more mundane/casual speech forms. Drama can be super useful if you can find one you like~
    There are some really good ways to teach yourself online (TextFugu, Genki Japan, Youtube and plain ol' Google for instance) but you can only get so far on your own. Eventually you will need a teacher. If you can, a native speaker is generally best for beginning because of matters regarding accent and the subtleties of speech that can take a long time to pick up~ A small class or one on one is also best but that stands true for everything (^^)b I would also recommend a friend who already speaks the language you can practice with~
    Above all, confidence is one of the biggest parts of learning any language. Everyone makes mistakes at the beginning and you can't let them stop you from speaking Japanese or practicing~ Our mistakes make us stronger! (^^)ノシ
    Try to learn hiragana and katakana as soon as possible! Romaji can distort one's pronunciation and understanding of how words/sentences are formed~ Kanji come later so don't stress over them too much~ (←learned the hard way ^^; )
    If you can, get a solid Japanese → English dictionary. Ones made for English speakers are best to begin until you have some kanji behind you~ This online dictionary is really, really great. If you click the 和英 (Wa-Ei) button, you can get English translations of Japanese words you enter into the search bar~ (英= Abbreviation of English which is 英吾 or Eigo while 和 is a character used to symbolize Japan) 英和 is the same thing but backwards (English → Japanese)
    http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/

Of things I wouldn't recommend; Rosetta Stone (it nearly killed my grammar!) and using only 1 textbook/source (if possible, use as many you can in order to make sure your learning is rounded because some sources are one sided). Though these are only personal opinions based on 6 years of study, different things work for different people.

I hope that was useful!! (^^)ノシ
    頑張ってください!

Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    569 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-30-2016 01:28 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

@MegataKitsune
    RS nearly killed your grammar? This would mean that Rosetta Stone for Japanese study should not be distributed anymore because of constant complaints and such.. Which has not happened yet.. so yeah....
    Last edited by Albear; 02-01-2014 at 01:04 AM.

Member BehaZ is on a distinguished road BehaZ's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Gifts Naruto Headband Bleach Zangetsu
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-27-2014 12:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: beha4698 Steam ID: TheExorcist

Start by learning the writing systems first, the hiragana, then the katakana and then the kanji. While you learn the kanji and their hiragana/katakana equivalents you will learn the words. You can learn pronunciation through anime or audio recordings and grammar from websites/books.

Member Ai-no-Miko is on a distinguished road Ai-no-Miko's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-14-2016 02:14 AM
    Threads

I was lucky that my high school offered Japanese and I liked the school setting myself. When I took it again in university I discovered that my year 1 class basically started at the beginning as well, but much more in depth. I think if you can find a community college or university that offers it, that's the way to go. Most language courses at colleges or universities don't require prerequisites, so it should be no problem there, but on the other hand, they can get costly.
    Another member in this thread mentioned learning through Japanese songs, and I can stand behind that. When I was taking classes I would sing along to some of the J-Pop and JRock I had, and try to pick out the words I recognized and phrases I could translate. It helped a lot. Lastly though, if you can, FIND SOMEONE TO PRACTICE WITH. I've pathetically lost pretty well all I've ever known because I wasn't able to converse and practice with enough people. As the saying goes, "if you don't use it, you lose it." That's just my opinion though.

Moderator Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Moon Crescent Wand Wine Kangaroo
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 04:32 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'm actually thinking of buying Rosetta Stone. Any one else have experience with this software??

Banned Forum / Chat tienphatvn is on a distinguished road tienphatvn's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-15-2014 01:34 AM
    Threads

I want learn JN ^^

Junior Member AtomicKitKat is on a distinguished road AtomicKitKat's Avatar
    Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2014 03:27 AM
    Threads

I recently picked up a book "Learning Japanese for Busy People" for $10 at a book fair. Best part is it even came with a CD(which I have yet to put into my PC to learn). That should hopefully reduce my deficiency with Hiragana. I found Katakana MUCH easier to learn, having come from a Chinese background(though my native Chinese is also embarassingly bad), so the characters being derived from segments of Chinese characters made for easier memorisation. That and working in a hobby shop, where the paints were all labelled in English(but the paint racks were listed in Japanese) allowed me to pick it up within a couple of months. Hiragana is taking frustratingly longer. I have a grasp of some kanji as well, again, due to the aforementioned Chinese background. To date, I think I've used Japanese maybe a half dozen times in the course of my work. Mostly giving the price in Japanese(if I know the person speaks it), as well as phrases like "Abenai!(Danger!)" to warn children, and simple directions(ue/up, shita/down, migi/right, hidari/left, koko/here).

Junior Member FireFox2000000 is on a distinguished road FireFox2000000's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-08-2015 03:46 AM
    Threads

I personally like to listen to slice-of-life anime and focus on listening to that and looking up words I don't know from there, or I just sit there and understand what's going on from context, as I put having fun as a priority. If I'm watching something with subs I'll play a game where I try to listen to see how literal the subtitles are to what's actually being said, while analyzing why it just translated like that.
    I also translate and learn the vocab from songs I like to listen to, as well as play a rom of Pokemon in Japanese since it's all in Kana, as translate through that.
    For me it's just a lot of translating practice, and if I don't understand something I usually leave it and eventually come back to it, having learned more and have random moments of "ohhh..." when the realization of how simple it turned out to be. It's funny how complex Japanese seems and how simple it actually it. I find that if something seems overly complex, you're probably translating it wrong. xD

Quote Originally Posted by MegataKitsune View Post
    Anime is good to a point but unless you know what you're doing, you can end up speaking like an anime character and people don't really speak like that ^^;
    Really? The Japanese people I've talked to via Omegle said I talk just like a Japanese person (I suspect due to how casual I was speaking and how formal foreigners usually speak), or the time I did get compared to talking like I was from an anime, they said it was cute. :P
    Last edited by FireFox2000000; 09-25-2014 at 07:32 PM.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    lino49 is on a distinguished road lino49's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-12-2015 06:25 AM
    Threads

I'm french so I began to learn in a french site to learn Japanese
    then, when I acquired a certain level, I began to listen to Japanese songs or to pay attention to what the anime character says and match it with the translation/sub-titles and step by step, I learned what I know now.

Senior Member Reshad has a reputation beyond repute Reshad has a reputation beyond repute Reshad has a reputation beyond repute Reshad has a reputation beyond repute Reshad has a reputation beyond repute Reshad has a reputation beyond repute Reshad has a reputation beyond repute Reshad has a reputation beyond repute Reshad has a reputation beyond repute Reshad has a reputation beyond repute Reshad has a reputation beyond repute Reshad's Avatar
    Fine
    Gifts Headphones Bleach Zangetsu Black Guitar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-25-2016 02:53 AM
    Threads

natural powers

趣味でヒーローをやっているモノだ。

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information