AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how do u learn japanese?

Senior Member natsu d is a jewel in the rough natsu d is a jewel in the rough natsu d is a jewel in the rough natsu d is a jewel in the rough natsu d's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts L Laptop Ice Cream Nunchaku
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-27-2018 03:50 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default how do u learn japanese?

in wat ways do u guys get the meanings of the words or try 2 learn the language???!!!!!!!

Moderator Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Moon Crescent Wand Wine Kangaroo
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 04:32 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: how do u learn japanese?

I use as many different tools as possible. I started with a 12 month beginner course. Now I'm doing an online course called 'Japanese Through Anime'. I find flash cards work well. I also like to draw things as I memorize the words for them. Text books are good, and I have some children's books written in Hiragana but I need to learn more vocab before I tackle them.

Also, ALWAYS watch your anime SUBBED.

3. Thanks lthgkv thanked for this post
    Likes lthgkv, Myconica, inazuma raiden liked this post
    Member inazuma raiden is on a distinguished road inazuma raiden's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Globe Tv One Piece Flag
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-04-2013 10:38 AM
    Threads

well... i m reading learn japanese in a month since 1 yr......
    n still i haven't learnd it
    tryin my best !

5. Likes natsu d liked this post
    Senior Member ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-14-2024 08:26 PM
    Threads

In school LOL

I strongly discourage using anime as a source for your learning. It is a good motivator, but the worst kind of resource for language study. I learned this the hard way.
    Last edited by ParaParaJMo; 02-25-2013 at 03:02 PM.
    Check out my anime reviews at: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/users/hajimenojmo[/URL] and http://blog.honeyfeed.fm/

Junior Member harariyuki is on a distinguished road harariyuki's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-01-2013 07:36 PM
    Threads

I've learned and am currently learning Japanese in High school. Available resources would be Rosetta Stone, Japanese Kanji dictionaries, and workbooks.

Senior Member ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Check out my anime reviews at: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/users/hajimenojmo[/URL] and http://blog.honeyfeed.fm/

Member deryogan has a brilliant future deryogan has a brilliant future deryogan has a brilliant future deryogan has a brilliant future deryogan has a brilliant future deryogan has a brilliant future deryogan has a brilliant future deryogan has a brilliant future deryogan has a brilliant future deryogan has a brilliant future deryogan has a brilliant future deryogan's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-27-2014 12:58 AM
    Threads

hi. i'm an international student in japan. anime is a good way to learn but i think japanese songs are even better. try listening to your favorite songs while reading the lyrics in kanji. see how much can you understand.

Member Unkawaii is a splendid one to behold Unkawaii is a splendid one to behold Unkawaii is a splendid one to behold Unkawaii is a splendid one to behold Unkawaii is a splendid one to behold Unkawaii is a splendid one to behold Unkawaii is a splendid one to behold Unkawaii's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-09-2016 04:38 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Unkawaii PSN ID: UnkawaiiPCMR Steam ID: IncompetantBastard

Actually going to school and learning it.

Anime and manga, as well as music, are actually the worst ways to learn japanese. The best way is to study it properly.

Gil
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yeah, anime is the worst way to legitimately trying to learn. As motivation, that's one thing, as a source of learning, hell no. I learned that the very hard way.

Junior Member Yuki457 will become famous soon enough Yuki457's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Gifts Crates
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-05-2013 10:19 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Yuki-457 Steam ID: Yuki457

I have learned the language using Anime and Manga, but I got the scripts of the episodes and followed along, I ripped the audio tracks of my favourite episodes and listened to them on the drive to and from work and I learned the songs for the openings / endings.

Pick something simple like Bottle Fairy and watch it raw, try and write the script yourself through listening and pausing then translate it line by line. For Kanji learn the SKIP Code system for easy identification (components are all well and good but some are hell). The original Pokemon series is pretty enjoyable raw and has fairly easy language and the characters speak clearer and more concisely than you would get from say Lucky Star *shudder*.

I used Genki (1-2) and Japanese for Busy People (1-3) to provide grammatical explanations and picked up the rest from what I heard / read.

This last year I have been using Video Games to reinforce my Kanji and more colloquial grammar (See Barret in FF7 for infinite examples...)
    Amazon.co.jp has a tonne of video game guides really cheap or you can get scans online.

The Legend of Zelda games (particularly Majora's Mask) are a great entry point with the Final Fantasy series (X is really good for learning) while more challenging, even more rewarding.

You should also consider the pokemon games (the new ones let you switch between kana and kanji), you can pick up a lot of prefixes and suffixes this way. eg (I think it's a fire-type because it sounds like one). I was 6 when Pokemon first came out and I feel that it contributed a lot to me learning english components eg "char-" and "-mander" in charmander being associated with fire and lizard.

A great vocabulary adventure is the Harvest Moon series, where due to mass repetitive usage you pick up a tonne of vocab quite quickly.

When I was playing through FF7 I screenshotted every dialogue and built a PDF document out of them so every now I would sit down for 5 minutes and then I could "read" the game. This kind of immersion and consistency is what you really need to properly learn a language.

While I agree if you just sit on the likes of crunchyroll watching subbed Anime all the time you will have one hell of a hard time picking up the language, the subliminal listening skills you develop (just identifying "that's a verb! and it's past-negative!" or "that's a word, that's a particle!") is useful as you build up the "rhythm" of the language, Anime as a learning tool is only as effective as you make it.

Gil
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I say j-dramas or a game like Shenmue is a more realistic representation of Japanese language usage. If I resort to using Japanese that I learned from anime and manga, people look at me all weird. The songs I use are Yamashita Tatsuro, Max, and classic jpop songs like Tsubasa wo Kudasai and Tabidachi no Hi Ni

Senior Member The Ace RailGun has a brilliant future The Ace RailGun has a brilliant future The Ace RailGun has a brilliant future The Ace RailGun has a brilliant future The Ace RailGun has a brilliant future The Ace RailGun has a brilliant future The Ace RailGun has a brilliant future The Ace RailGun has a brilliant future The Ace RailGun has a brilliant future The Ace RailGun has a brilliant future The Ace RailGun has a brilliant future The Ace RailGun's Avatar
    Gil
    Cynical
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-20-2013 05:09 PM
    I'm either in a book or I fell through the Looking Glass...
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Tahmira Steam ID: Tahmira

For me I use all my notes, which have the katakana/Hirigana charts, and then I also use a few different apps mainly for grammar, and also raw Manga are the best for practicing character translation. I find those in various places. And I do agree that using drama instead of anime is a lot better. And games are definitely a good and fun way to practice as well. I'm using the steins;gate VN myself, should probably do FF though.

Sig Made by my self
    ~Sure you can mess with a bull just don't start bawling when you get the horns~

HugeBeetzstudio Members:
    AnimeTrek~Founder~Leader~On YouTube~Group AMV Editor
    Maximbeet~Co-Founder~On YouTube~Group AMV Editor
    SIZARY-MOMO
    OmegaOmotron

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    xKMCK has a reputation beyond repute xKMCK has a reputation beyond repute xKMCK has a reputation beyond repute xKMCK has a reputation beyond repute xKMCK has a reputation beyond repute xKMCK has a reputation beyond repute xKMCK has a reputation beyond repute xKMCK has a reputation beyond repute xKMCK has a reputation beyond repute xKMCK has a reputation beyond repute xKMCK has a reputation beyond repute xKMCK's Avatar
    Gil
    Blah
    Gifts Radioactive Baka
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2018 03:46 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: xKMCK Steam ID: xKMCK

Actually, Japanese Manga and lyrics that are in Japanese help you as long as you have a dictionary and a Kanji Dictionary with you. If you find a class, listening to Japanese music helps you too because when you learn some of the vocabulary words and sentence structures, you will be able to identify it in the lyrics. But everyone's learning strategies are different, but this one works for me.

Member WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry has a reputation beyond repute WhyWorry's Avatar
    Gil
    Nerdy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-18-2013 07:11 AM
    Threads

I recommend supplementing anime and manga with live action/Jdorama/Japanese films because the dialogues, topics and even the grammar patterns are broader.
    Also, I would second Yuki's suggestions. Genki and Japanese for Busy People are great books, even if you study on your own. I would also recommend getting a nice dictionary -- I used to have a Collier's and Langenscheidt but I now mostly rely on my iphone dictionary app (imiwa). If I am online, I use Jim Breen's Japanese page -- this is a great online dictionary.
    There are also lots of free Japanese learning apps for grammar, vocabulary, Kanji learning and JLPT review, if you are into using smartphones as a study tool.
    Personally, I studied in a specialized Japanese language school and have used books like Japanese for Busy People, Minna no Nihongo, J301, J501 and the Kanzen Master series. Now, I have finished all the courses there and I study for the JLPT on my own.

If you have questions, please let me know, I'd be happy to answer them if I can

Senior Member Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-27-2013 05:08 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Jasanime View Post
    I use as many different tools as possible. I started with a 12 month beginner course. Now I'm doing an online course called 'Japanese Through Anime'. I find flash cards work well. I also like to draw things as I memorize the words for them. Text books are good, and I have some children's books written in Hiragana but I need to learn more vocab before I tackle them.

Also, ALWAYS watch your anime SUBBED.
    This really does always help. My understanding of Spanish got way better after always watching Family Guy en espaņol lol.

18. Likes Jasanime liked this post
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei has a reputation beyond repute Rei's Avatar
    Gil
    Psychadelic
    Gifts Favorite Bioshock Syringe Bioshock Eve
    Mentioned
    274 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-27-2019 06:35 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: aozorapen

Try to start from the beginning. Grammar might be the most difficult to grasp, so it might be good to start from that.

できねぇ時?
    そん時ゃ諸共心中だよ

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Akiosama is on a distinguished road Akiosama's Avatar
    Gil
    Sick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-15-2020 02:06 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

The key to finding good sources to use as learning materials comes from taking a good look at those materials. Not all anime is good, nor is it all bad - it does help the ear, to some extent, and does offer up some interesting vocabulary, but assuming people all speak like most anime series present is not the way to look at that material. Same with music - there are musical patterns and word choices (and contextual issues due to trying to make the lyrics fit the music) that make music a tough source for learning material.

(And in my experiences, the Japanese converse much faster than is presented on TV - anime or live action. It can be hard to keep up for a foreign speaker.)

Much like context is important in Japanese, context with your learning materials is extremely important. Thinking that people talk like Dragonball Z will give you a very skewed vocabulary and speech pattern. However, thinking that people might actually talk like some of the characters (not all, mind you - do your homework to determine which ones are the good characters to learn from) in, say Maison Ikkoku, Omoide Poroporo, or a more mature drama anime might not be totally off. My pronunciation and accent improved significantly due to my watching Maison Ikkoku while I was self-studying Japanese in early college. Just be sure to supplement it with other materials, as well.

Don't forget that there's more to Japanese than just what is said, but how it is said. There are different forms if you're male, female, speaking to a superior, speaking to an inferior, speaking to those you're familiar with, and speaking to those you're not familiar with, for example. It can be complicated, and definitely is different than English, and you shouldn't just assume how something is said because you saw it in your study materials - the entire situation may need to be examined to determine the proper way to say something.

The biggest drawback to learning Japanese through Manga and Anime is that the bulk of what is presented is dialogue. It makes learning to read prose (i.e. newspapers and books) difficult, as the linguistic form is very different, as is the word selection. Just try to read a novel, even a light novel, when you're used to dialogue, and you'll quickly see that it's a different beast.

Pop culture is not a wholly poor way to learn a language. Just recognize that it is pop culture and don't assume that it's the normal way people speak. Just like learning a language from a textbook - people don't sound like that, either.

My 2 yen,

Akiosama
    Last edited by Akiosama; 07-31-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Member Rusty Blade is on a distinguished road Rusty Blade's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-26-2013 04:36 AM
    Threads

I study Japanese at university. You can't learn anything from anime until you've built up a decent enough proficiency of the language to recognize patterns and words and such in a way that you can understand them. I still can only get the very basic gist of some sentences watching an anime raw. Same with songs. Sure I can pick out a few words or grammatical patterns but it's more like an affirmation that you are learning more of the language as opposed to actually teaching yourself. Also language used in anime is often so colloquial that it's almost useless in everyday Japanese unless you have very close Japanese friends.

Grammar is vital so text books or classes are the first step. Build up a decent vocabulary as you learn new grammar. At least maybe 200 words. Use them in sentence patterns and then substitute different words in so that you are not only learning the grammar but the words and their modifications too. As you get better learn another 100 or so words and work back from the beginning, using the new words in every pattern you know until you've got it all down. Also pay equal attention to plain and formal styles. I'd suggest avoiding kanji for the first few months. Build a strong foundation first and learn the grammar then focus on kanji.

When you do get up to learning kanji learn a mixture of the very basic characters and the more complicated characters built from them. As you work on the complicated characters you subconsciously review the easier ones and memorise them. Use flash cards as a way of helping you remember and find a kanji dictionary or something for reference and so you can see variations and extensions of each kanji.

But perhaps most important of all, find someone to speak to. Whether it be a tutor or friend or some random Japanese person working at a sushi shop, you need experience actually speaking with people. Even if it's only one sentence or two, the very act of engaging in conversation gets the wheels spinning in your head a little faster and when you get it right you feel much better about your progress.

And of course, don't give up. Japanese is one of the hardest languages an English speaker can possibly learn. You will stumble a lot. You will make a hell of a lot of mistakes. But stick with it. Eventually your mistakes will be at the very least educated mistakes.

22. Likes *Tsuki* liked this post
    Junior Member Sam17 is on a distinguished road Sam17's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-08-2014 11:41 AM
    Threads

Well, the slowest way is probably by going to school. Text books are so boring.

Every good student needs the right tools. For reference dictionary programs like Kiten and StarDict are a good starting point.

Abiword and IBUS for writing in Kanji, hiragana and katakana.

Some kanji wallpaper for ones computer desktop.

Some manga that's not too difficult to read (maybe Kiniro Mosaic).

Then some online E-learning kanji quizzes for making learning kanji easier.

Access to lots of Japanese Anime with subtitles in English.

A collection of catchy Japanese tunes.

Ai Oboete Imasu ka

Senior Member 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ has a reputation beyond repute 星らぶ's Avatar
    Gil
    Dead
    Gifts Bigro MA 05 Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-18-2015 01:23 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I took two years of lessons in a classroom of 10 people, I had to stop because I ran out of money, but what has helped me so far to keep in touch with the language is theatre, and tv shows with interviews and such. Without subs if more effective. Also my twitter TL is full of Japanese talking nonstop and sometimes I even try to talk to them (chaos :P ) talking with Japanese is the MOST effective way for me.

Junior Member Saint_Fighter is on a distinguished road Saint_Fighter's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-13-2016 12:45 PM
    Threads

Smile Re: how do u learn japanese?

Try this book
    Japanese in MangaLand
    from Marc Bernabe
    http://www.nipoweb.com/producte.php?id=1&idioma=3
    Im studying from the spanish version Japones en Viņetas and really do the work fine ...

Member OhMyAmethyst is on a distinguished road OhMyAmethyst's Avatar
    Gil
    Bahahaha
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-15-2013 05:33 AM
    Threads

Well, it's quite simple, really:

You get your lazy butt up

You either register for a class, go to a library, get some audio tapes (Rosetta Stone)

Have 2 working ears

Emthusiasm, consentration, patience, and determination

And you start
    Last edited by OhMyAmethyst; 12-09-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Junior Member ayameui is on a distinguished road ayameui's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Black Cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-12-2014 06:17 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

There are a lot of ways to learn Japanese for I know this because I am Japanese, I use to teach it to some people on the internet.
    Here's a few things you can do to learn Japanese quick and easy

1.you can get a Japanese for dummy's or a Japanese for busy people book
    2.you can get an auto software for your computer/laptop
    3.install or download an learn Japanese app.
    4.do it online
    5.take course
    Or 6. Hire a personal language coach
    If I was you the first thing I would do before getting into the language is learn about japan then when you think you know a little about japan then just take it slow no need to rush a language into. That's what I had to do to learn English
    Aya-Chan

つき *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki* has a reputation beyond repute *Tsuki*'s Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts 001 - Bulbasaur Cowboy Hat Dr Who Tardis
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-30-2021 04:30 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Go live in Japan.

Senior Member AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot has a reputation beyond repute AmandaNerdBot's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-14-2016 08:56 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: DesuMaiden

This is an interesting question. I'm glad someone posted a thread on this subject!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information