AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think Aniplex(Sony Music) is abusing YouTubes Copyright claims on Thumbnails?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 75.00%
  • Maybe

1 25.00%
  • No

0 0%
Closed Thread

Thread: Aniplex (Sony Music) - Etched

Senior Member Henshin_Ikeda is a splendid one to behold Henshin_Ikeda is a splendid one to behold Henshin_Ikeda is a splendid one to behold Henshin_Ikeda is a splendid one to behold Henshin_Ikeda is a splendid one to behold Henshin_Ikeda is a splendid one to behold Henshin_Ikeda is a splendid one to behold Henshin_Ikeda is a splendid one to behold Henshin_Ikeda's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-24-2013 06:40 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Aniplex (Sony Music) - Etched

YOUTUBE DEBATE ON ANIPLEX (SONY MUSIC)

After reviewing so much material within the YouTube community it seems that Aniplex (Sony Music) has managed to finally make a negative impression.

It became more personal when Sony Music started complaining about the over use of Thumbnails from anime series which Aniplex had been involved with. The end result being a copyright strike from YouTube from Sony Music was the response given no matter the case.

Not many fans/viewers/etc notice that on the US website for Aniplex it's become useless when complaining about copyright claims or even so much as to ask for permission to use set material in your own reviews. Aniplex within the US supports the idea of free advertisement or review of their merchandise, but have always re-routed fans/viewers/etc to their branch in Japan.

The Aniplex branch in Japan neither has a fax number, phone number, nor instant response on their website contact page which would allow fans/viewers/etc to discuss set issues or requests. (You can send them an email at the most, but the response time is 0%)

Should YouTube be held liable for their automatic copyright strike system which appears to be flawed or should Aniplex (Sony Music) re-write their own policies about fair use on YouTube in regards to the fair use of their thumbnails?

Anime Which Aniplex is involved w/:

New to the YouTube community and hoping for some advice:

-Don't use thumbnails from anything Aniplex (Sony music) related

Senior Member Henshin_Ikeda is a splendid one to behold Henshin_Ikeda is a splendid one to behold Henshin_Ikeda is a splendid one to behold Henshin_Ikeda is a splendid one to behold Henshin_Ikeda is a splendid one to behold Henshin_Ikeda is a splendid one to behold Henshin_Ikeda is a splendid one to behold Henshin_Ikeda is a splendid one to behold Henshin_Ikeda's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Aniplex (Sony Music) - Etched

(BUMP)

Was hoping for more responses from the community on this big issue sadly

Senior Member dinochan has a reputation beyond repute dinochan has a reputation beyond repute dinochan has a reputation beyond repute dinochan has a reputation beyond repute dinochan has a reputation beyond repute dinochan has a reputation beyond repute dinochan has a reputation beyond repute dinochan has a reputation beyond repute dinochan has a reputation beyond repute dinochan has a reputation beyond repute dinochan has a reputation beyond repute dinochan's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-08-2013 08:18 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I think both groups would be at fault. Youtube for it's failing copyright system and Sony for not checking the content of the videos.

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

Quote Originally Posted by Henshin_Ikeda View Post
    (BUMP)

Was hoping for more responses from the community on this big issue sadly
    Well, there are two main things working against you:

1. No offense, but your post is a bit difficult to understand. Most people here are familiar with YouTube copyright issues, but your post is hard to read. Is this a general issue with Aniplex (something that going on throughout the YouTube community)? Or is this a personal issue with Aniplex because of something they did to you and you alone?

2. There is nothing that backs up your main points. I have seen the issue of the Aniplex website, but that was only after I investigated myself. Otherwise, you haven't given anything that backs up what you are saying, from Aniplex's support of free advertising to their copyright frenzy. People tend to care about an issue if they could see the effects of the issue and considering the fact that I can find literally THOUSANDS of Soul Eater, Naruto, and Fullmetal Alchemist videos, Aniplex must not be trying very hard.

But onto the main point:

I don't like bringing this up, but people who upload videos containing copyrighted material, whether its in fair use or not (and sometimes it isn't), risk the chance of having their video taken down because of the copyright holder making a complaint to YouTube. YouTube doesn't police itself (because they don't really care and it takes too much time and resources to sort through every video), but because of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), YouTube has to comply with the request or at the very least investigate it. And since YouTube warns the user no less than three times before uploading a video that this could happen, this should come as no surprise.

Of course, I don't see a lot of evidence that Aniplex is protecting their properties any more than most companies; I can still find AMVs based on Aniplex anime on YouTube that were uploaded over 5 years ago. I'm not sure about their stance on "free advertising" in this context, but I do know that, through their distributors, one can actually get permission to do a lot of things; the anime club at my college got permission to do a public Gurren Lagaan marathon through Bandai; even got free swag.
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Actually the reason why I'v brought this issue up is both personal and non-personal if that makes any sense.

I believe the way YouTube handles their copyright strikes is appalling , and should be changed more in order to deal w/ these copyright claims. (A thumbnail which is not part of the video is only being used for descriptive purpose and should not fall under any 3rd party copyright claims unless its found to be offensive in some way - Fair use should means something here)

To some this sounds like a small issue, but for others who upload on a daily or weekly bases it means the world to them. I believe a petition should be created aimed at YouTube in order to change their copyright policy's on this matter before more 3rd parties take advantage of this. Fair use is a grey area online even w/ YouTube, and I think it's about time to challenge YouTube on how they actually deal w/ these copyright strikes.

Will be starting a live stream on YouTube within the upcoming week that will be dedicated to this issue, and I just wanted to leave an update on this here.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/henshinXIkeda?feature=mhee
    Last edited by Henshin_Ikeda; 01-27-2013 at 02:33 AM.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I confess that I don't understand the issue at hand much to have an informed opinion about it.

Regarding your complaint about the utter lack of response from Aniplex in Japan, though, I'd venture to guess that the problem is probably not so much that they're ignoring them, than that they simply do not have enough people equipped to handle English complaints from abroad, nor do they have enough incentive to hire a full-time translator.

The anime industry in Japan (though I guess the same applies in greater or lesser degrees for Japanese companies in general, especially in the creative industries) tends to orient itself inwards and focus primarily on domestic markets, where the vast majority of its sales are. Not to mention, the proliferation of fan-subbed anime available for free on the Internet probably doesn't help in assuaging their basic lack of trust in the profitability of foreign markets.

If you really want to reach someone from the company, I suggest you get someone who understands Japanese to write a letter addressing your complaints in Japanese.
    Last edited by Datenshi; 01-27-2013 at 02:07 PM.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

Quote Originally Posted by Henshin_Ikeda View Post
    To some this sounds like a small issue, but for others who upload on a daily or weekly bases it means the world to them. I believe a petition should be created aimed at YouTube in order to change their copyright policy's on this matter before more 3rd parties take advantage of this. Fair use is a grey area online even w/ YouTube, and I think it's about time to challenge YouTube on how they actually deal w/ these copyright strikes.
    If copyright holders could take complete and utter advantage of YouTube's policies and the DMCA, they would have done so already (but the multitude of complete anime episodes on YouTude say otherwise).

I guess the big question would be: what changes should be made? As I told you, YouTube doesn't police itself and they only take action against copyrighted videos if the copyright holder says something to them (and the copyright holder has to make more than one complaint). Although the repeal process can take a while, its not as if it doesn't work at all.

YouTube already has a separate policy in place that states that copyright holders need to consider fair use before issuing complaints (there are no less than two Supreme Court cases about this) but they also have policies that state what might happen to videos that have copyrighted material in them.

What do you want YouTube to do beyond that?

Quote Originally Posted by Datenshi View Post
    Regarding your complaint about the utter lack of response from Aniplex in Japan, though, I'd venture to guess that the problem is probably not so much that they're ignoring them, than that they simply do not have enough people equipped to handle English complaints from abroad, nor do they have enough incentive to hire a full-time translator.
    Well, this is part of the problem. The other part is the simple fact that reaching out to Aniplex in Japan is overkill. There are foreign companies that handle anime licenses domestically; it is THEM that a customer should reach out to. For example, when my anime club wanted to host a Gurren Lagaan marathon, we didn't contact Aniplex; we contacted Bandai, the American distributor.
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

The live-stream is on...

Title:
    Acces Animes YouTube Copyright Discussion w/ Henshin Ikeda

Time:
    Live-stream starts at 10:00pm

Link:

Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Thank You I had two live streams made since the 1st one ended do to bad net connections..(other one ran out of time at the end)

Attempting to create the YouTube Copyright petition - wish me luck cause the heat is on....(putting my knowledge to the test and rolling the dice on luck here)

Good chance I could burn out when putting this together - hopefully by next Wednesday i'll have a better idea of what I'm getting into. Before digging myself into something I cannot get out of I'll be asking for everyone's advice on what I'v created and then makes last minute changes based on the amount of feedback I gather from you all.

Trial and error time...lets crunch those numbers, and see where this road takes me......It's on

My biggest concern is which website to use:

- http://www.change.org/petition
    - http://www.ipetitions.com/
    - http://www.petitionbuzz.com/
    - https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/

Would a video be more eye catching, and the petition be very detailed or just created to cut to the real point?

The petition would only address the thumbnails though and not the music. (should I include other features that YouTube lacks or needs improvement on)

Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

The petition is finally up, and across 4 different websites

Spread the word about the petitions or at least check it out and let me know what you think.

Links to petitions:

Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Make sure to check out each link which I have provided, and support each petition if you feel they express your true interests...

I think it's time for YouTube to change...don't you

Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

we have a new page setup w/ everything linked together:
    http://petitionyoutubenow.tumblr.com/

Closed Thread

Thread Information