AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Home Ownership

Moderator Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Moon Crescent Wand Wine Kangaroo
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 04:32 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Home Ownership

How many of you own you home? or for the younger members, do you parents own or rent?

My bf and I bought our house about 7 months ago. We saved for 4 years for the deposit (it was hard as we were paying rent while trying to save) and could finally afford an average home in a very average suburb, of which I am very proud.

In Australia, home ownership is increasingly more difficult for young people. The repayments are not so bad, but the deposit is the hard part. Most banks require 15+ % deposit, with cheapest houses starting at about $190,000.

So what's it like in other countries? I'm curious :-)

Meh Crusader Tarkenfire has a reputation beyond repute Tarkenfire has a reputation beyond repute Tarkenfire has a reputation beyond repute Tarkenfire has a reputation beyond repute Tarkenfire has a reputation beyond repute Tarkenfire has a reputation beyond repute Tarkenfire has a reputation beyond repute Tarkenfire has a reputation beyond repute Tarkenfire has a reputation beyond repute Tarkenfire has a reputation beyond repute Tarkenfire has a reputation beyond repute Tarkenfire's Avatar
    Gil
    Cynical
    Gifts Artemis Watermelon
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-29-2013 11:15 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Tarkenfire Steam ID: Tarkenfire

Default Re: Home Ownership

The US is a bad place to get examples right now, considering how close we still are after the housing bubble burst. I was kinda youngish when this happened, but IIRC, the value of my parents home got as high as 400K at one point. It sold for I think somewhere around 190K after foreclosure.

Since then, apartments have been the norm, though the current place I live isn't legally allowed to be called an apartment since it's the second floor of someone's house, so I guess I am living in a house at the moment.
    Less is more.

3. Thanks Jasanime thanked for this post
    Likes Jasanime liked this post
    Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pocket Watch Katana Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2019 09:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I got a house after the housing bubble popped. You can find out what every home sold for in the past, so I felt kind of bad negotiating the thing. I mean you always want a good deal based on what the market is at the moment. But on the other hand you can see that the other person is already taking a six figure soaking and you're just making it worse.

I figured that the value of the home might continue to drop a little (and it did). But there were federal and state tax incentives at the time to encourage home buying and the fixed rate mortgage percentages were crazy low, and I figured they'd never get low (though they actually did).

Right now in the US it comes down to credit in a big way. The banks are skittish about giving people money, however after they've decided you're reliable than the rates are just crazy low.

On that note some advice for the young folks here, always be sure to pay those bills on time! The little late payment fee is the least of your troubles, when you go to get a loan for a house, college, or a car that credit score damage can really cost you, if not prevent you from getting what you want entirely.

Anyway it has some hassles but owning a house is great. You get a lot more freedoms. Not just getting to decorate the way you want and not having to hear the neighbors, but also stuff like being able to put up political signs or being able to have firearms in the house.

Member Gideon Jeremiah is on a distinguished road Gideon Jeremiah's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Gifts Guy Fawkes Mask
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2013 05:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Gideon_Jeremiah Steam ID: gideonjeremiah

Well I live in the Ontario, Canada's "Cottage Country", so most of the houses are unfortunately expensive (the nicer ones that is).

I live with mom right now though, the rent & utility fees are reasonable.
    Less than $1,600 a month & we're within a 3 minute walking distance of "Clear Lake" (though the entire area is just woods, woods, woods, so there's not much to do for selling value).
    Last edited by Gideon Jeremiah; 01-28-2013 at 11:02 AM.

☆*:.。. UGUU .。.:*☆ nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL's Avatar
    Gil
    Yeehaw
    Gifts Chibi Crisis Moon Compact 039 - Jigglypuff Neko Tv
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-14-2013 01:50 PM
    Threads

Expensive to buy, expensive to maintain, makes you stuck in a single place and requires a ton of formalities.
    What a waste.

The warrior of time aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether has a reputation beyond repute aether's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Bear Bleach Zangetsu Katana
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2015 10:29 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: aether370

I think the UK is pretty much similar to Australia as we need about 15% for the deposit.
    But for me I can't move out due to the fact that I don't have a job as no one will hire me but for my mom she bought the house and my dad is renting (yes my parents are divorced but they are still civil towards each other which is good) the housing situation is pretty dire here and the government has even let houses go for a Ģ1 however they are in very poor areas and there are very tight restrictions on what you can do with the building.

8. Likes Thefringedninja liked this post
    Junior Member StrawberryCookies is on a distinguished road StrawberryCookies's Avatar
    Gil
    Bashful
    Gifts Cookie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-28-2013 11:16 AM
    Threads

I would love to own my own home one day but where I live you have to be making some major money in order to make enough for even a simple down payment, the average cost of a house in my area is $428,655 and that is generally for something that isn't very attractive.
    My parents used to own their own home, but we had to sell it, we couldn't afford the payments anymore.
    I would love to own a home one day.

"Goodbye, Sa-ka-ki-ba-ra-kun."

Kind boy/Nanobyte's minion Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Gifts Uranus Henshin Pen Pen Coffee
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-02-2022 11:54 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Mystelinth

Ehm as far as I know we build or own house. ( My parents) They also loaned money from a bank.
    If im correct our house its value is about €300,000 or a bit higher.

Back 6 years ago we payed half of the loan back, but my dad died.
    But thanks to his insurance we didn't have to pay back the rest of the loan.

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pocket Watch Katana Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2019 09:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nrL View Post
    Expensive to buy, expensive to maintain
    Cheaper than renting though, for the same thing. Especially at today's rates.

, makes you stuck in a single place
    That part is a serious consideration though. Home buying isn't so much for the young single guy who can get by on a tiny cheap apartment, unless they're really into the freedoms you get with home ownership.

But if you've got family and friends you really want to live by, a stable job, or a family of your own that you really don't want to uproot, than the "stuck" factor isn't such an issue and you often want the space of a house.

Banned Forum / Chat rso0 is infamous around these parts rso0 is infamous around these parts rso0 is infamous around these parts rso0 is infamous around these parts rso0 is infamous around these parts rso0 is infamous around these parts rso0 is infamous around these parts rso0 is infamous around these parts rso0 is infamous around these parts rso0 is infamous around these parts rso0 is infamous around these parts rso0's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-05-2013 03:10 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    Cheaper than renting though, for the same thing. Especially at today's rates.

That part is a serious consideration though. Home buying isn't so much for the young single guy who can get by on a tiny cheap apartment, unless they're really into the freedoms you get with home ownership.

But if you've got family and friends you really want to live by, a stable job, or a family of your own that you really don't want to uproot, than the "stuck" factor isn't such an issue and you often want the space of a house.
    I'm the single guy who would rather live in a tiny cheap apartment lol

Senior Member Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio has a reputation beyond repute Xeyuzio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-12-2014 08:06 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

My parents currently own 3 homes, two in Illinois and one in Mexico which my father inherited.
    Last edited by Xeyuzio; 01-28-2013 at 07:19 PM.
    人類は調和したのか?
    VY2V3 = Me | Kagamine Len Act 1 = You

14. Dislikes Ranshiin disliked this post
    Corrupted Data Inc. CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Cookie Ice Cream Kawaiislice
    Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2014 09:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

My parents own the house that I'm living in now. My eldest sister rent a house not far away. My 2nd older sister owns a home a few villages away. Someday I'm going to build my own house with the land I'll get.

>>Enter My World<<

Thanks to Ms Lucy for this awesome, funny gif.

The person that you are now is not the person that I used to know. You're becoming a stranger that I've never met before. Not liking the change though.

Moderator Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonMoon View Post
    My 2nd older sister owns a home a few villages away. Someday I'm going to build my own house with the land I'll get.
    Dude, where do you live? Sounds old-fashioned and very sweet!

Senior Member Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Gifts Dr Who K9 Rainbow Ribbon Naruto Sharingan
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-09-2014 10:27 AM
    Threads

I'm not too sure about buying houses in the UK, as I am a student at the moment. However next year I will be renting a property with two others and it is going to cost us Ģ55 per week, per person, excluding any utilities...gas, electricity, broadband, food, improvements and maintenance etc.
    It's a beautiful house in the city though. And it has a garden!
    ~Favourite Anime/manga~
    Ouran High School Host Club
    Death Note
    Sekaiichi Hatsukoi
    Junjou Romantica
    Naruto Shippuuden
    Bleach
    Hetalia
    Code Geass
    Fruits Basket
    D-GrayMan
    Hourou Musuko Wandering Son
    Sora to Hara
    Kuroko no Basuke
    Shingeki no Kyojin

Currently reading: Bleach and Naruto Ship, Shingeki no Kyojin, Kuroko no Basuke.
    Currently watching: Space Brothers, Golden Time, Kuroko no Basuke, Silver Spoon, Magi and Mobile Suit Gundam.

Corrupted Data Inc. CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Cookie Ice Cream Kawaiislice
    Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2014 09:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Jasanime View Post
    Dude, where do you live? Sounds old-fashioned and very sweet!
    I live in Brunei. Actually it's not as old-fashioned as you'd think. It's just that Brunei is a small country, so villages are stacked closer. My sister's home is only 10 minutes away from my house, even though she lives 5 villages away. :x

>>Enter My World<<

Thanks to Ms Lucy for this awesome, funny gif.

The person that you are now is not the person that I used to know. You're becoming a stranger that I've never met before. Not liking the change though.

Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonMoon View Post
    I live in Brunei. Actually it's not as old-fashioned as you'd think. It's just that Brunei is a small country, so villages are stacked closer.
    I never even knew it existed until today! It looks beautiful, I want to visit!

Senior Member T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew has a reputation beyond repute T-Stew's Avatar
    Gil
    Pensive
    Gifts Sushi2
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2016 10:43 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by nrL View Post
    Expensive to buy, expensive to maintain, makes you stuck in a single place and requires a ton of formalities.
    What a waste.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    ...But if you've got family and friends you really want to live by, a stable job, or a family of your own that you really don't want to uproot, than the "stuck" factor isn't such an issue and you often want the space of a house.
    Yeah I can see renting being very feasible for many, but to say "what a waste" about owning a home is very close minded. You couldnt pay me to rent, at least not for 99% of what people normally rent. I like being able to do whatever I want to the property, build a deck, firepit, addition to the house, etc. About 3 years ago I built a 40x40 pole barn. I've got like 3 trucks, boats, tractors, my woodshop etc. all in there. Try doing that at an apartment in the city. I'm running out of room too with only a few acres. I really want some woods on the property so I can hunt and cut firewood and stuff all on my own land. Still looking for the perfect place, preferable a log cabin or timber framed house with a beautiful view of the sunset, and mountains in the distance would be great too! Yeah renting isnt for me.

Here is a quick pick, its winter here now so no pretty foliage and landscaping, sorry.

Nothing fancy, but a nice country home. The interior is all stained wood trim, the old side of the house all has old wooden doors with hammered-iron hardware, 3 wood stoves, maple floors. Been here for 4 years now.
    ~ Tristan

They should have named it Doom4 or something DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Drunk
    Gifts Binoculars Kawaiislice Medkit
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-08-2023 04:46 AM
    Threads

I used to own an 80 mē house, but I bought it with a loan to the bank just before the bubble popped, and when you're married to the bank, you know that bitch is going to take everything from you. I flipped the bird at the bank and abandoned my own house to rent a shithole apartment elsewhere.
    Clever girl...

It's never safe to turn off your computer - Silent Strike

Closed Thread

Thread Information