AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opinions on the Black Butler english dub

Senior Member Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Gifts Dr Who K9 Rainbow Ribbon Naruto Sharingan
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-09-2014 10:27 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Opinions on the Black Butler english dub

Hey guys,
    Having read the BB manga, I thought I would watch a few of the English dub episodes as I was curious as to who they would choose to do the voices and how they would sound.
    I would also be interested to see how others reacted to how it was dubbed and if they preferred the sub to the dub.

In my opinion, having only watched a couple of episodes I disliked the voice actor for Ciel.

Generally (I apologise to all US people), I find it excrutiating whenever I hear an American trying to do an English accent. In my experience there are few who manage to do it justice, as accents usually require the actor to have lived in the country of origin or be very familiar of it. However, I did try to put any bias aside and ignore the pain that the stereotypical cockney accents caused.

What do others think? Feel free to disagree with my opinion...I love a good debate!
    Last edited by Thefringedninja; 09-14-2012 at 08:30 AM.
    ~Favourite Anime/manga~
    Ouran High School Host Club
    Death Note
    Sekaiichi Hatsukoi
    Junjou Romantica
    Naruto Shippuuden
    Bleach
    Hetalia
    Code Geass
    Fruits Basket
    D-GrayMan
    Hourou Musuko Wandering Son
    Sora to Hara
    Kuroko no Basuke
    Shingeki no Kyojin

Currently reading: Bleach and Naruto Ship, Shingeki no Kyojin, Kuroko no Basuke.
    Currently watching: Space Brothers, Golden Time, Kuroko no Basuke, Silver Spoon, Magi and Mobile Suit Gundam.

AFs Cutest Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-22-2019 09:35 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Opinions on the Black Butler english dub

It SUCKS! so i didn't watch it on netflicks. I switched to youtube with the subs grell's voice was ok shoma's was racist. sebastian didn't sound sexy but tired.(Michael you failed me!!) ciel sounded squeaky XS it was bad.
    hella

3. Likes Thefringedninja, Karirie liked this post
    Senior Member PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies has a reputation beyond repute PinkGalaxies's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Crisis Mooncompact Mario 1-Up Mushroom Katana
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-23-2014 01:36 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I generally watch dubs over subs. I didn't really care for the dubs or the subs of this anime. The voice acting was okay I guess. It kind of took away from the anime a bit, which caused Black Butler to not go in my top 10 anime list. Good anime, not so great voice acting = 6/10.

5. Likes Thefringedninja liked this post
    Senior Member Karirie is a splendid one to behold Karirie is a splendid one to behold Karirie is a splendid one to behold Karirie is a splendid one to behold Karirie is a splendid one to behold Karirie is a splendid one to behold Karirie is a splendid one to behold Karirie's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Kawaii Ice Cream Cone Gir 025 - Pikachu
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-24-2014 10:17 AM
    That's for me to know and for you to find out :3
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I hate the english dub -_- I don't know why I hate so much, maybe because Ciel's voice is awkward or something. I just don't like it at all.

When snow (Yuki) melts it turns into rain (Ame). When rain (Ame) falls, flowers (Hana) bloom.

7. Likes Thefringedninja liked this post
    &#32
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Gifts V Guitar Coffee Red Kawaii Ice Cream Cone
    Mentioned
    1093 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2018 11:21 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: FunkyFresh123 Steam ID: RyuTama

I managed to watch a few episodes of the dub on my own, until Grell came in. I was like... "no". Maybe it's because I was so used to Fukuyama Jun's smooth voice, I just couldn't stand it. The English voice actor (I forget the name) only made him sound more like a raging hormonal fanboy the entire time, whereas Fukuyama could at least make him sound fluid and badass when needed be.

I agree with OP . It was painfully obvious that the voice actors never had any sort of practice with an English accent. It made me cringe at points. ._.

Anyway, now I have to listen to some of the Japanese character songs before my ears bleed from thinking about the English dub for too long. I think I'll share them with you guys.

Sebastian

Grell

Sohma and Agni

Yeah, English voice actors wouldn't be able to pull off this badassery.

9. Likes Thefringedninja, Jozette liked this post
    AFs Cutest Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette has a reputation beyond repute Jozette's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RyuTama View Post
    I managed to watch a few episodes of the dub on my own, until Grell came in. I was like... "no". Maybe it's because I was so used to Fukuyama Jun's smooth voice, I just couldn't stand it. The English voice actor (I forget the name) only made him sound more like a raging hormonal fanboy the entire time, whereas Fukuyama could at least make him sound fluid and badass when needed be.

I agree with OP . It was painfully obvious that the voice actors never had any sort of practice with an English accent. It made me cringe at points. ._.

Anyway, now I have to listen to some of the Japanese character songs before my ears bleed from thinking about the English dub for too long. I think I'll share them with you guys.

Sebastian

Grell

Sohma and Agni

Yeah, English voice actors wouldn't be able to pull off this badassery.
    I hate sebby's charater song it's should be calm sing with complicated melody or vice versa but never forget RONALDS SONG

hella

&#32
    RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Mentioned
    1093 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by GrellxJozette View Post
    I hate sebby's charater song it's should be calm sing with complicated melody or vice versa but never forget RONALDS SONG

Calm with complex melody?

I personally like Ron's other song better. =3

Gil
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Calm with complex melody?

I personally like Ron's other song better. =3

Like what i mean is like rock but calm at points because thats who sebby is. It'd be better as like this type of thing
    Last edited by Jozette; 09-14-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    hella

Senior Member Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja has a reputation beyond repute Thefringedninja's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

It SUCKS! so i didn't watch it on netflicks. I switched to youtube with the subs grell's voice was ok shoma's was racist. sebastian didn't sound sexy but tired.(Michael you failed me!!) ciel sounded squeaky XS it was bad.
    LOL, now that you mention it, he does sound tired! Or just annoyed at everything! xD

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LeiaHeart View Post
    I hate the english dub -_- I don't know why I hate so much, maybe because Ciel's voice is awkward or something. I just don't like it at all.
    Yeah, it does sound like the VA is trying too hard and not focusing on actually delivering the character through her voice!
    ~Favourite Anime/manga~
    Death Note
    Sekaiichi Hatsukoi
    Junjou Romantica
    Naruto Shippuuden
    Bleach
    Hetalia
    Code Geass
    Fruits Basket
    D-GrayMan
    Sora to Hara
    Kuroko no Basuke
    Shingeki no Kyojin

Currently reading: Bleach and Naruto Ship, Shingeki no Kyojin, Kuroko no Basuke.
    Currently watching: Space Brothers, Golden Time, Kuroko no Basuke, Silver Spoon, Magi and Mobile Suit Gundam.

Gil
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thefringedninja View Post
    LOL, now that you mention it, he does sound tired! Or just annoyed at everything! xD

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Yeah, it does sound like the VA is trying too hard and not focusing on actually delivering the character through her voice!
    Sigh, young master i want your soul now yawn,I'll get you claude.... sigh,yay kitten
    hella

15. Likes Thefringedninja liked this post
    Senior Member nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay has a reputation beyond repute nslay's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-03-2017 11:20 PM
    Threads

You're complaining about Ciel while overlooking Mey-Rin? I can't say I've heard anyone speak like Mey-Rin before.

I liked the anime even though the voices are clearly fake British accents.

17. Likes Thefringedninja liked this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nslay View Post
    You're complaining about Ciel while overlooking Mey-Rin? I can't say I've heard anyone speak like Mey-Rin before.

Yeah.... that was bad
    hella

19. Likes Thefringedninja liked this post
    Senior Member AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan's Avatar
    Gil
    Sassy
    Gifts Systems N64 Hello Kitty Soul Eater Logo
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-05-2017 03:25 PM
    Threads

(In reference to Sebastian) In the Jap sub version you have Daisuke Ono
    Whilst in the Eng dub you have J. Micheal Tatum...
    BOTH have awesome voices so I don't mind either.
    I'm actually a fan of both so between that it's hard to choose.
    Though I do like the overly dramatized British accents by Jason Liebretch and Monica Rial
    Because they make it more entertaining during the comedic moments.
    Though Monica's voice was painful at first lol I got used to it...
    I also LOVE the Eng VA for Grell because he does an excellent job with Grell's voice it matches his personality.
    Grell's Jap VA is also one of my favorite Jap VA's
    So basically I like both versions

So in conclusion (why am I making this all sound so fancy?) I am a fan of Daisuke Ono and Jun Fukuyama but also a fan of FUNimation dubs :P
    Last edited by AshureeChan; 09-16-2012 at 01:34 PM.

| Twitter | Tumblr | YouTube | MyAnimeList |

"Frustrations will not last forever. Nobody can keep on going without some measure of reward."

21. Likes Thefringedninja liked this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AshureeChan View Post
    Though I do like the overly dramatized British accents by Jason Liebretch and Monica Rial
    I also LOVE the Eng VA for Grell because he does an excellent job with Grell's voice it matches his personality.

So in conclusion (why am I making this all sound so fancy?) I am a fan of Daisuke Ono and Jun Fukuyama but also a fan of FUNimation dubs :P
    I didn't know the real sebby-chan was singing :3
    hella

Cannibal Countess ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett has a reputation beyond repute ChibiLovett's Avatar
    Gil
    In Love
    Gifts Purple Ribbon Heart Pocky
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-02-2016 06:26 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChibiLovett Steam ID: ChibiLovett

Quote Originally Posted by nslay View Post

Yeah...Mey-Rin was the worst in my book. >.< Admittedly I actually haven't heard the Japanese voices because I watch it on Netflix, but they still annoyed me. At first the only voice I liked was Madame Red's and that's probably mostly just because of who the actress was and that she actually ended playing my favorite character in two different series.

But I do have to admit that, if you watch it enough, they kind of grow on you a bit. The bad accents make it funnier and the voices start to actually fit the characters, even if it is by force.
    She has no shadows, and she radiates beauty.

Slender body, and two eyes like ebony.

Her spirit's golden, and her mind's a mystery.

24. Likes Thefringedninja liked this post
    Gil
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Though Monica's voice was painful at first lol I got used to it...

I was kind of disappointed as I love J. Micheal Tatum in his other roles, but his voice in this just grated on me...:P
    ~Favourite Anime/manga~
    Death Note
    Sekaiichi Hatsukoi
    Junjou Romantica
    Naruto Shippuuden
    Bleach
    Hetalia
    Code Geass
    Fruits Basket
    D-GrayMan
    Sora to Hara
    Kuroko no Basuke
    Shingeki no Kyojin

26. Likes Jozette liked this post
    Senior Member AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan's Avatar
    Gil
    Sassy
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I was kind of disappointed as I love J. Micheal Tatum in his other roles, but his voice in this just grated on me...:P
    He has a couple roles I really likes him in besides Sebastian. One being Kyoya Otori from Ouran and the other Isaac Dian from Baccano!.
    He has a lot of other roles but those two are my favorites. But still he's not my favorite English VA so yeah :P

"Frustrations will not last forever. Nobody can keep on going without some measure of reward."

28. Likes Thefringedninja, Jozette liked this post
    &#32
    Gil
    Where
    Mentioned
    1093 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Relevant.

Gil
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Relevant.

YEAH! I was looking at that last night!! alot of weird va mix ups
    hella

Gil
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

YEAH! I was looking at that last night!! alot of weird va mix ups
    What does the link lead to? My PC won't let me into it!

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

He has a couple roles I really likes him in besides Sebastian. One being Kyoya Otori from Ouran and the other Isaac Dian from Baccano!.
    He has a lot of other roles but those two are my favorites. But still he's not my favorite English VA so yeah :P
    I agree, he was awesome in Ouran The outtakes were hilarious too
    ~Favourite Anime/manga~
    Death Note
    Sekaiichi Hatsukoi
    Junjou Romantica
    Naruto Shippuuden
    Bleach
    Hetalia
    Code Geass
    Fruits Basket
    D-GrayMan
    Sora to Hara
    Kuroko no Basuke
    Shingeki no Kyojin

Gil
    Sassy
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

LOL yeah I have watched those multiple times! xD too great :P

33. Likes Thefringedninja liked this post
    Senior Member Aznen has a reputation beyond repute Aznen has a reputation beyond repute Aznen has a reputation beyond repute Aznen has a reputation beyond repute Aznen has a reputation beyond repute Aznen has a reputation beyond repute Aznen has a reputation beyond repute Aznen has a reputation beyond repute Aznen has a reputation beyond repute Aznen has a reputation beyond repute Aznen has a reputation beyond repute Aznen's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Gifts Bleach Kon
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-17-2014 03:56 AM
    Threads

oh.. yes a perfect thread disscusing such matter. good work..!!
    to be honest I just hate May-lene's voice for once.... but later I got used to it, I low down the volume of my computer/TV.. xd

and when...., holiday ,holiday.... we'r going for holiday....(did'nt remember the acctuall words) (His Butler, Merrymaking... something) yulg...., worst ever.....

not acctually disappointed from J.Michael Tatum, he was more better with Scar..!

UnExpected....

35. Likes Thefringedninja liked this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

What does the link lead to? My PC won't let me into it!

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

France and sebby same voice actor. >_,
    hella

37. Likes Thefringedninja liked this post
    Gil
    Mellow
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Why is everything in pirate language?! :o
    ~Favourite Anime/manga~
    Death Note
    Sekaiichi Hatsukoi
    Junjou Romantica
    Naruto Shippuuden
    Bleach
    Hetalia
    Code Geass
    Fruits Basket
    D-GrayMan
    Sora to Hara
    Kuroko no Basuke
    Shingeki no Kyojin

Gil
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Kaitou-san says national talk like a pirate day. Y_Y
    hella

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information