AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amor et Mors

The Poet Sword Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-28-2019 05:06 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Amor et Mors

With these last few heartbeats I'd breathe her breath
    And find within her essence a soul to share,
    Lost in the final moments before paradise
    I could dream of no better measure of air

And as the moment peels in tow
    I look back upon my life revealing,
    The certain sort of sacred fold
    Between the seams of a courage yielding

Like a flag; old and worn which has seen better days
    I can't help but assess myself in the same way,
    Yet I know this isn't near the truth combined
    Why can't it be true within the depths of the mind?

That every moment suffered is another tear
    Another shift in the fabric of the flag laid bare,
    As age comes to claim the mind and the hand
    We are left with the experience that it shares

In that conceptual light the subtlety is solemn
    That with every breath we take the Reaper is calling,
    And it is only every breath that continues life
    A conquest for the end, a beginning for the falling

A macabre notion could not keep calm
    My furious devotion to right and wrong,
    My love is an ocean coalesced in song
    A wonder of the thunder of every psalm

A holy notion bows to treason
    That love can kill it's keepers
    A twist of irony decidedly-
    Ties her and me with the Reaper

The only question left to ask
    In these final moments of breath:
    Who is she who'd so cleave to me,
    Until the very days of our death?

Perhaps the world was never meant to make perfect sense.

2. Thanks Mugiwara-no-Basuke thanked for this post
    Likes Princess Cupcake liked this post
    ♡ Your Royal Sprinkles ♡ Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake's Avatar
    Gil
    Psychadelic
    Gifts Cheshire Cat Kawaiislice Cake
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2012 09:54 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Amor et Mors

Superb poem, as usual! It blew me away =] What does Amor et Mors mean? I know amor has something to do with love and mors is death, right?

4. Thanks Tetsanosuke thanked for this post
    The Poet Sword Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Thank you for your comment. =D

And you are quite right. I threw in "Love and Death" into google translate, because I felt the Latin would fit better. If any thing just to be different.

♡ Your Royal Sprinkles ♡ Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake has a reputation beyond repute Princess Cupcake's Avatar
    Gil
    Psychadelic
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

No prob! I love talkin' poetry. But yeah, I thought it was pretty cool that you went with a latin title. A title sets the mood for what's to come and "Amor et Mors" does a good job of that.

Gil
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

The irony in the title setting the mood, in my case, is that I always make the title after writing the poem (thus the poem sets the mood of the title, instead of the other way around). In most cases finding a suitable title is the part in the process that gives me trouble. I manage well enough.

Gil
    Psychadelic
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

What a coincidence! I'm the same way. But, yeah, it's kinda funny how that all works out huh? Imo, choosing a title is much easier when the poem you are writing is complete. A lot of the time I will just use a line from the poem itself. Sometimes I like to coming up with elaborate titles too. Makes people think, which was the case for me here! ^.^

Gil
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

A line from the poem itself? Sounds like an interesting idea. I'll probably play around with it a bit more; as I'm sure my blog has a few older works which utilize the same or a similar title mechanic.

It's sort of amusing when you think about making an elaborate title, and the title suddenly gets an air of mystery or holds otherwise hidden connections with the author and the poem. I've had several occasions where I've written titles that seem to have little connection to the work at first glance, but as far as I saw, the connection was there.

What about labeling a poem something completely non sequitur? Or should I say, after reading the poem the title displays such a quality? What sort of connections can people find in the absurdity? Is there value, or is it really just nonsense?

Hahah. Just random thoughts at this point.

Gil
    Psychadelic
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

You should definitely try it! When you find the same words from the title in the poem, there's this sense that everything just comes together.

Titles offering a mystery are quite satisfying as well. I am also familiar with this technique. It keeps the audience guessing.

I guess the comprehension of an elaborate title depends on those who read it. What you intend to portray is not always how an individual will interpret it and a title that is nothing but gibberish to one person could hold great meaning for another. For example, I could say that I understand a title in relation to the poem but in reality, I don't, it just feels a lot like I do. Whatever the author's purpose, "to each his own," speaks volumes, don't you agree? ^.^

Gil
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I do agree. As we each have a world of our own within, and no one can ever see something exactly like another does. As close as can be possible, the string which bind one person to another concept are weaved from different angles and in different patterns. This is why I enjoy seeing what people express about my works. There is a microcosm within everyone.

Gil
    Psychadelic
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

What you just said reminds me of something Yuko from XxxHolic would say. I even heard it in her voice... o_o I know what you mean, I like to hear how people respond to my poetry too. A lot of the time, they just say it is "good" or feign interest. -_-

Gil
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Hahah. I've never read/watched XxxHolic; so at the very least you aren't seeing some real incarnation of a character. Especially gender-bent. That awkwardness is a non-issue.

But I guess some out there just like to read poems from the outside, as if they were looking at a sculpture or a car. But unless someone has the desire to look deeper within the work; they wont understand it entirely or find meaning. The work which was done to sculpt; the engineering in a car.

Or people just don't feel like giving any more words. o.o

Or maybe they are lazy. xD

Either way. I suppose we have to take the good with the bad; the mediocre with the extravagant and the simple with the complicated.

14. Likes Princess Cupcake liked this post
    Back To Business ~> Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts One Piece Flag Soul Eater Shinigami-sama Naruto Sharingan
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-26-2012 02:33 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

S-U-P-E-R! Maybe my favourite poem from the ones I've read from you, really nice to read
    My favourite strophes are 1, 3, 5 and 6, a very very rich poem, both in terms of sounds and also in rhyme types (I identified abca, abcc, abba, abcb and abcd - hope this terminology makes some sense to you), which is quite impressed
    Again I really loved this, thanks a lot for sharing your peculiar talent with words!

"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough."
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
    "Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    "I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details."
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

16. Thanks Tetsanosuke thanked for this post
+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information