AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question to effect-characters (e.g.:" 々 "...)and where can I find them in/on IME?

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    Tyraxx is on a distinguished road Tyraxx's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-29-2012 04:26 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Question to effect-characters (e.g.:" 々 "...)and where can I find them in/on IME?

Hi everybody,

while I was trying to look up how this " 々 " is called, I humbled over other characters which aren't really characters since they have certain effects (how do you call them anyway).

e.g. that there is also a symbol w/ the same effect for kana.
    My question is are they still current nowadays.
    I remebered seeing them once, but I'm not sure whether they are still current nowadays.
    I know the "々" is still in use, but what about the other one ("ゝ"...)

Now how is this one "々" called.
    English wiki gives me "dōnojiten (同の字点)", while
    German wiki gives me "Odoriji (jap. 踊り字)".

And can I also find a key to enter the "々" in IME instead of cutting them out.

PS: hopefully not to many questions.
    Guys, yes it is "ha" (は), but in this case it is pronounced "wa" (は). Though it's written the same it's pronounce different.
    So don't just write "ha" in the romaji.
    "Anata ha..."?, don't screw with me, what are you guys doing, using an "direct kana to romaji convertor"?
    Man, this always makes me so furious.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Question to effect-characters (e.g.:" 々 "...)and where can I find them in/on IME?

1) I humbled over other characters which aren't really characters since they have certain effects (how do you call them anyway)

The Japanese Wikipedia article is headed under "踊り字", but according to the article they are also called: "おどり、繰り返し符号(くりかえしふごう)、重ね字(かさねじ)、送り字(おくりじ)、揺すり字(ゆすり じ)、重字(じゅうじ)、重点(じゅうてん)、畳字(じょうじ"

2) My question is are they still current nowadays.

To my understanding, only "々" is used currently. If you read old texts (like from before WWII) you might find others, but according to the Wikipedia article, nowadays they're all pretty much substituted by "々"

3) And can I also find a key to enter the "々" in IME instead of cutting them out.

Try,

どう

おなじ

くりかえし

All worked for me. You might have to scroll down a bit after you press space (the quickest for me was おなじ).
    Last edited by Datenshi; 05-04-2012 at 07:26 PM.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Roarrrrrrrrrrr!
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Be Mine 143 - Snorlax Cookie
    Mentioned
    754 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-29-2016 11:05 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Re: Question to effect-characters (e.g.:" 々 "...)and where can I find them in/on IME?

Just an interesting background story in case you're bored.
    The repetition symbol existed in as early as 800 BCE, as found in this Western Zhou engraving:

In modern time, it has been replaced by either 々 or 〃 in East Asian countries, with Japan using only 々, Taiwan mostly 〃, and mainland China both. (not sure about Korea, since it has practically stopped using Chinese characters.) However, in formal writing, both China and Taiwan discourage this practice, and only Japan allows and in fact strongly encourages the use of repetition symbols for kanji.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information