AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prop help

Member Xel is on a distinguished road Xel's Avatar
    Gil
    Hacker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-08-2012 01:25 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Xelphus

Default Prop help

So, I'm cosplaying as Laxus from Fairy Tail for anime expo this year, and I was thinking of making a lightning based prop, but I have no idea where to even start

any ideas? No weapons of any kind allowed

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

Default Re: Prop help

The oldest yet easiest trick in the book of cosplay props son...

Tin foil + paper machete.. You can find a paper machete recipe online, but use tin foil bunch it up/flatten it and get it into the shape you want (aka lightening bolt). You can make it however long you want (or can afford to tinfoil) and so it's really a good option. So you get it to the desired shape, at least a few inches thick so that it'll be sturdy when you put machete on it and the machete will make it even sturdier. When you're done just paint it and maybe add detail.

If you need help just let me know and I'll tinfoil and machete with you :3 I can make a heart or something, already made a snake, giant gorilla hand, and a few mask >.>

-Source
    Took a class on stage craft (aka building sets and props, and stage management class)
    Worked at an anime con long enough.

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Gil
    Hacker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

is the paper machete mallable at all? One thing I was thinking was getting two long strands and wrapping them around my arms, then being able to actually move my arms

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

I ment to say mache*

Anyways, paper mache looks like this: http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...SinnedWolf.jpg

It's slightly durable but to mount it to your arm you'd probably need plaster and plaster tape or something to just tie it with... :/

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    569 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-30-2016 01:28 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'd look into craft foam. But paper mache like blueangel said would work too.

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

You could take some rather stiff wire, cover it in a fabric with the texture you want. Would grant you flexibility but sacrifice being sturdy. Or combine that and the other two and and use the wire as a sort of joint. Though I'd recommend the foam over the mache. Though foam is much harder to sculpt and get looking nice. A pick of what you want would help generate ideas.

Gil
    Hacker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

The wire option seems pretty solid for what I need, though I would need lots of back up wire and fabric. I am well acquainted with how badly wire keeps shape after being bent a few times

I could also use the mache to create a "glove" like item with lightning like protrusions

Those two seem like my best options, thanks all around
    Last edited by Xel; 04-28-2012 at 04:52 AM.

Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear has a reputation beyond repute Albear's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    569 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-30-2016 01:28 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Remember to cover up the wire if you use it! Protrusions for your lightning is important, but so is not harming people around you by accident. People seem to ignore this rule by putting up alot of spikes and whatnot around their cosplay.

9. Likes Mugiwara-no-Basuke liked this post
    Junior Member dawm123 is on a distinguished road dawm123's Avatar
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-03-2012 09:38 PM
    Threads

Less able to understand you need the props.But perhaps you can go to smalltao.com look around.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information