AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interested in Doing an Online Writing Workshop?

Senior Member pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Mario Chain Chomp Tennis Ball Blue Saber
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-16-2012 02:09 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Interested in Doing an Online Writing Workshop?

I'd have to work out the details for how we'd do this, but for those of you that don't know, I'll explain what a writing workshop is:

Basically, it's a group of writers that gets together and gives criticism on a person's piece. Workshops are intensely important for any serious writer because it helps you gauge an audience's reaction to the piece, whether it's a poem, fiction, or creative non-fiction. For instance, if several people express that there is a problem with your voice's continuity (i.e. the voice sounds younger in some parts, older in another or the voice sounds more intellectual in certain areas than others), then you might want to look at your voice and see if you can strengthen it.

Some ground rules:

All criticisms are welcome. But please understand: praising a person's piece will make them feel good and warm inside, but it won't help them in the progression of working on their story. You don't want to shoot someone down, but you want them to also take something away from their critique.

Criticism isn't personal. If someone tells you that the piece is cliche and you need to start from the ground up, don't take it personal. First of all, this is an opinion based deal, and an opinions vary. So if you don't agree with what someone says, don't take their advice.

I was thinking AIM group chat would work for a forum (that's right! blow the dust of your AIMs folks!).

You would be given a date to give your story out to the group, two weeks before your workshop. I figure we can do someone every two weeks, that way everyone should have enough time to read the piece. The workshop will work like this: The first person will pass out their story (probably via facebook or messaging on the board), two weeks later we'll critique it (however we decide to go about that), and on that same day, the next person will hand out their story or poem and two weeks later we'll critique that person.

I figure we can keep it to two people a month for now. Also, the date of the critique can be pushed up. If you're doing a short poem, we shouldn't have to wait two weeks to critique it.

I just wanted to gauge some reaction from people before I put work into this idea. I'll also be posting this in the writer's group and poetry thread.
    Last edited by pleasant_disorder; 04-21-2012 at 11:46 PM.

2. Thanks Cross Avantgarde thanked for this post
    Senior Member Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Gifts Silver Ribbon Four Leaf Clover Teal Ribbon
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-08-2019 02:20 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: aspirantgarde

Default Re: Interested in Doing an Online Writing Workshop?

It’s an awesome idea, Pleasant; I’m certainly interested in it. Also, the logistics seem to be good as well (prior announcement of the story to come, one person workshopped every two weeks, etc.), and I think they would work for the purpose of the workshop.

Member BloodPrincess has a reputation beyond repute BloodPrincess has a reputation beyond repute BloodPrincess has a reputation beyond repute BloodPrincess has a reputation beyond repute BloodPrincess has a reputation beyond repute BloodPrincess has a reputation beyond repute BloodPrincess has a reputation beyond repute BloodPrincess has a reputation beyond repute BloodPrincess has a reputation beyond repute BloodPrincess has a reputation beyond repute BloodPrincess has a reputation beyond repute BloodPrincess's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-02-2012 07:45 AM
    Threads

i think it's an awesome idea too, and it would be a great way to give/recieve some proper feed back.
    "If my tears can make you smile, then I'll gladly cry"

That Sick Beat Ravin has a reputation beyond repute Ravin has a reputation beyond repute Ravin has a reputation beyond repute Ravin has a reputation beyond repute Ravin has a reputation beyond repute Ravin has a reputation beyond repute Ravin has a reputation beyond repute Ravin has a reputation beyond repute Ravin has a reputation beyond repute Ravin has a reputation beyond repute Ravin has a reputation beyond repute Ravin's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Cancer Cake Golf
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-23-2012 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

sounds fun

Corrupted Data Inc. CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Cookie Ice Cream Kawaiislice
    Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2014 09:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

That sounds like a good idea.

>>Enter My World<<

Thanks to Ms Lucy for this awesome, funny gif.

The person that you are now is not the person that I used to know. You're becoming a stranger that I've never met before. Not liking the change though.

Senior Member pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Mario Chain Chomp Tennis Ball Blue Saber
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-16-2012 02:09 AM
    Threads

Whoooo! I'm so excited! It looks like we have an good group of writers coming together. I will be done with finals by the end of this week, so I'll send out a quick notification by either this weekend or the beginning of next week about our writers workshop. :3 Seriously guys, thanks so much for responding.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information