AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Languages!

Senior Member Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde has a reputation beyond repute Cross Avantgarde's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Gifts Silver Ribbon Four Leaf Clover Teal Ribbon
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-08-2019 02:20 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: aspirantgarde

Default Re: Languages!

@Uncanny X-Man : That does indeed stand to reason. From the little I’ve read of it (and translated very roughly, losing many connotations and nuances, I’m sure), I liked Danish very much.

@SuXrys : You certainly explained that very well, and thanks for the example. Mutual intelligibility makes sense in light of the proximity of those countries, but sometimes it’s surprising to learn how little proximity matters (like Georgians in the Caucasus and the Russian language). In return for the example I offer this small bit of information. When I was translating some lines from the Old English poem, The Battle of Maldon, I found that there is a hint that the Scandinavians and Anglo-Saxons might have understood each other to a substantial degree. No one really knows for sure to what extent the two languages were inter-intelligible, but I do think it’s interesting. Lastly, sorry that you're in pain...thanks for replying nonetheless, and hope you feel better soon.
    Last edited by Cross Avantgarde; 04-12-2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Oversight

2. Thanks SuXrys thanked for this post
    Likes SuXrys liked this post
    Senior Member Uncanny X-Man has a reputation beyond repute Uncanny X-Man has a reputation beyond repute Uncanny X-Man has a reputation beyond repute Uncanny X-Man has a reputation beyond repute Uncanny X-Man has a reputation beyond repute Uncanny X-Man has a reputation beyond repute Uncanny X-Man has a reputation beyond repute Uncanny X-Man has a reputation beyond repute Uncanny X-Man has a reputation beyond repute Uncanny X-Man has a reputation beyond repute Uncanny X-Man has a reputation beyond repute Uncanny X-Man's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-13-2012 02:27 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Lassekorup

Ignore
    Last edited by Uncanny X-Man; 04-12-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Wrong topic

That Sick Beat Ravin has a reputation beyond repute Ravin has a reputation beyond repute Ravin has a reputation beyond repute Ravin has a reputation beyond repute Ravin has a reputation beyond repute Ravin has a reputation beyond repute Ravin has a reputation beyond repute Ravin has a reputation beyond repute Ravin has a reputation beyond repute Ravin has a reputation beyond repute Ravin has a reputation beyond repute Ravin's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Cancer Cake Golf
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-23-2012 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

'Merican English, Latin, Japanese, German, Italian(sort of) and Russian (terribly). I vant to learn Swedish

Senior Member SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-14-2014 06:26 AM
    Berwald Oxenstiernas (Hetalia) vital regions [Sweden]
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cross Avantgarde View Post
    @SuXrys : You certainly explained that very well, and thanks for the example. Mutual intelligibility makes sense in light of the proximity of those countries, but sometimes it’s surprising to learn how little proximity matters (like Georgians in the Caucasus and the Russian language). In return for the example I offer this small bit of information. When I was translating some lines from the Old English poem, The Battle of Maldon, I found that there is a hint that the Scandinavians and Anglo-Saxons might have understood each other to a substantial degree. No one really knows for sure to what extent the two languages were inter-intelligible, but I do think it’s interesting.
    That is not so surprising, considering that the germanic languages are from the same "language tree". It's interesting to think about how much more alike many of the european languages where earlier. They all came from the same proto-germanic language after all. If we hadn't walked seperates ways after the iron age... I can just imagine how much easier it would be for me to write in here... lol.

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Ignore
    Now I'm really curious on what you wrote there before editing it.... o__o

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie
    Season five of Game of Thrones
    New episodes of Downton Abbey

Senior Member Uncanny X-Man has a reputation beyond repute Uncanny X-Man has a reputation beyond repute Uncanny X-Man has a reputation beyond repute Uncanny X-Man has a reputation beyond repute Uncanny X-Man has a reputation beyond repute Uncanny X-Man has a reputation beyond repute Uncanny X-Man has a reputation beyond repute Uncanny X-Man has a reputation beyond repute Uncanny X-Man has a reputation beyond repute Uncanny X-Man has a reputation beyond repute Uncanny X-Man has a reputation beyond repute Uncanny X-Man's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by SuXrys View Post
    That is not so surprising, considering that the germanic languages are from the same "language tree". It's interesting to think about how much more alike many of the european languages where earlier. They all came from the same proto-germanic language after all. If we hadn't walked seperates ways after the iron age... I can just imagine how much easier it would be for me to write in here... lol.

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Now I'm so curious on what you wrote there before you edit it.... o__o
    You can check it out in another topic :P

7. Likes SuXrys liked this post
    Senior Member SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    You can check it out in another topic :P
    What topic? Link please. ~

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie

Gil
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by SuXrys View Post
    What topic? Link please. ~
    http://www.animeforum.com/showthread...-friends/page3

@SuXrys made me regret my earlier statement because I'm a good guy ;PPPP
    Last edited by Uncanny X-Man; 04-12-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

@Uncanny X-Man

Don't write things like that. [you edit that post now! or else... *fist of anger*]
    Never really thought I would write a thing like that in here.... O___o

-------------
    Edit: but thanks for the link btw.
    Last edited by SuXrys; 04-12-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie

Senior Member kagome_windy has a reputation beyond repute kagome_windy has a reputation beyond repute kagome_windy has a reputation beyond repute kagome_windy has a reputation beyond repute kagome_windy has a reputation beyond repute kagome_windy has a reputation beyond repute kagome_windy has a reputation beyond repute kagome_windy has a reputation beyond repute kagome_windy has a reputation beyond repute kagome_windy has a reputation beyond repute kagome_windy has a reputation beyond repute kagome_windy's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Aria Neko Pocky One Piece Flag
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-13-2012 01:53 AM
    Threads

I speak English, Hindi, Urdu and Kashmiri. o.o

Roarrrrrrrrrrr!
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Be Mine 143 - Snorlax Cookie
    Mentioned
    754 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-29-2016 11:05 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I can speak, read, and write English.

我会说、读、写中文;中文是我的母语。
    (I can speak, read, and write Chinese; it's my mother tongue.)

日本語を読み書き喋ることがまあまあできます。
    (I can sort of read, write, and speak Japanese.)

Latīnam linguam dictionariō legere et scrībere, sed nōn loquī possum.
    (I can read and write Latin with a dictionary, but can't speak it.)

Fearless Red Mage SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13 has a reputation beyond repute SakuraKiss13's Avatar
    Gil
    Talkative
    Gifts Ice Ornament Ouran Patch
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-25-2013 07:13 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Seriously just English and Filipino.
    I'm dying to learn japanese though and french

Member KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Gifts Ouran Patch
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-22-2017 11:11 PM
    Threads

English is my mother tongue, but I have taken German and French classes. Really, I should log in to LiveMoca and see if I can get back into learning those languages. I would love to learn Japanese at some point in my life.

Senior Member Suzume has a reputation beyond repute Suzume has a reputation beyond repute Suzume has a reputation beyond repute Suzume has a reputation beyond repute Suzume has a reputation beyond repute Suzume has a reputation beyond repute Suzume has a reputation beyond repute Suzume has a reputation beyond repute Suzume has a reputation beyond repute Suzume has a reputation beyond repute Suzume has a reputation beyond repute Suzume's Avatar
    Gil
    Lonely
    Gifts Red Orb Red Dango Heart
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-21-2016 11:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I can speak Tamil cuz it's my 2nd language and local Tamil Nadu Telugu cuz it's my mother tongue.
    I'm fluent in English and i know very very little Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by Artcell View Post
    Nah..No!..I'm Bangladeshi!..I'm not from Bangalla! XD @SuXrys
    Well if ur from Bangladesh how can u speak Bengali?
    A set by blueangel06661

16. Likes catie liked this post
    SuXrys' Butler Rozenberg has a reputation beyond repute Rozenberg has a reputation beyond repute Rozenberg has a reputation beyond repute Rozenberg has a reputation beyond repute Rozenberg has a reputation beyond repute Rozenberg has a reputation beyond repute Rozenberg has a reputation beyond repute Rozenberg has a reputation beyond repute Rozenberg has a reputation beyond repute Rozenberg has a reputation beyond repute Rozenberg has a reputation beyond repute Rozenberg's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Bullets Tortoise
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-23-2012 03:12 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

let's see ...
    main language is Indonesian, and I always learning english in my school
    other than that, I am accustomed to japanese grammar and style, so I can speak and read japanese, especially when playing eroge
    and then... I must speak German in my studienkolleg, since the teachers are mostly Germans or Austria

Please please, really please~ ?

Flower of My Heart
    deviantART|AF Art thread

&#32
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama has a reputation beyond repute RyuTama's Avatar
    Gil
    Where
    Gifts V Guitar Coffee Red Kawaii Ice Cream Cone
    Mentioned
    1093 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2018 11:21 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: FunkyFresh123 Steam ID: RyuTama

Being the typical American I am, English is of course my mother tongue. However, quite unlike the typical American, I want to learn as many languages as I can. :P

Since I've grown up around a fair amount of Spanish (friends, teachers, etc), I can read and understand quite a bit. I've also taken 3 years of German in High School, although I'd love to have more practice with it. I've studied Japanese on my own on and off for about two years, but, like with German, I need to use it more often. <__> I just finished an introductory college course in Italian, so I've mastered most of the basic grammar tenses and such.

I wanna learn French, Russian, and perhaps Latin and Mandarin Chinese, but... I think I should stick with those languages first. xD *is an overachiever*

Moderator BluGru Mitsuo (Tori) has a reputation beyond repute BluGru Mitsuo (Tori) has a reputation beyond repute BluGru Mitsuo (Tori) has a reputation beyond repute BluGru Mitsuo (Tori) has a reputation beyond repute BluGru Mitsuo (Tori) has a reputation beyond repute BluGru Mitsuo (Tori) has a reputation beyond repute BluGru Mitsuo (Tori) has a reputation beyond repute BluGru Mitsuo (Tori) has a reputation beyond repute BluGru Mitsuo (Tori) has a reputation beyond repute BluGru Mitsuo (Tori) has a reputation beyond repute BluGru Mitsuo (Tori) has a reputation beyond repute BluGru Mitsuo (Tori)'s Avatar
    Gil
    Nerdy
    Gifts Raccoon Jade Disc Soul Eater Soul
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-27-2020 12:39 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Blugrutori

im happy tat u all speak different languages and want to learn new ones.

The Savage. -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL-'s Avatar
    Gil
    Hungover
    Gifts Present Beer
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-25-2012 04:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

i know English, scots and alki.

Junior Member Facu is on a distinguished road Facu's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-01-2012 01:43 PM
    Threads

I can speak spanish and english, and I hope to learn italian and french <3

Kind boy/Nanobyte's minion Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth has a reputation beyond repute Mystelinth's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Gifts Uranus Henshin Pen Pen Coffee
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-02-2022 11:54 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Mystelinth

I can speak Dutch, English and german.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    mirrortrex is on a distinguished road mirrortrex's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-21-2014 02:26 AM
    Threads

Aku boleh cakap Bahasa Melayu. Bukan fasih sangat sebab bila aku cakap bm biasanyaku rojak sikit sini sana dengan bahasa lain. haha
    I can speak Malay, but not that fluent because almost everytime I speak I mix in a little bit of other languages.

日本語はまあまあかな。あんま正式的つーか敬語の方は少し難しく感じてるから、多分もっと磨かなきゃな。っ と、しゃべってるときすごい関西弁になってるかも。外国人なんだけれど、自然にしゃべればあん なるんだ。
    Japanese is okay I guess. I find the formal tenses a bit difficult so I guess I need to polish more on that. And my accent is a bit weird, cause even though I'm a foreigner when I speak Japanese I sound pretty much like a Kansai native.

English is well, english. You get the point.

中文是母语,所以基本上沟通方面完全没问题。要说啥都能的程度吧。粗话也比例巴拉的。可腔有点怪。所以请别 见怪。哈哈
    Chinese is my native language, so basically I don't have any problem communicating in Chinese. I can speak whatever I want in Chinese. Though I have a weird accent.

I can speak a little Korean and a little Italian too. Beginner in both languages. =)

Closed Thread

Thread Information