AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: [News] Windows 8 Consumer Preview was released

Copyright © 2013 FS FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD's Avatar
    Gil
    Lonely
    Gifts Fuuko Starfish Ice Cream Bamboo Cup
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-19-2023 07:16 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Default [News] Windows 8 Consumer Preview was released

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft
    With Windows 8, the whole experience of Windows has been reimagined. It’s designed to work on a wide range of devices , from touch-enabled tablets, to laptops, to desktops and all-in-ones. We’ve designed Windows 8 to give you instant access to your apps, your files, and the information you care about most so you can spend less time navigating and more time doing what you actually want to do. You can move between Windows 8 PCs easily and access your files and settings from virtually anywhere.
    Full article here. Enjoy the reading. ^_^

Windows 8 Beta or Consumer Preview as Microsoft calls it was just released (a week ago actually). Some people like it, others don't. What is your thought?

This new Windows brings a whole new idea of using the computer. It was optimized for tablets and touch, but even with a mouse is really not bad. I admit I hated the whole Metro UI concept the very first couple of hours, but right now I find Windows 7 to be … well, bulky and inefficient.

So what is really new in Windows 8?
    Metro UI: This is the very first difference you will notice when you boot the OS up. It's mostly designed for touch devices, but normal PC users could find it rather handy as well;
    Internet Explorer 10: Most of you don't really use it, but those who do will probably enjoy the new spell checker (yes, I know, Firefox and Chrome had that ages ago >_>;; ), better HTML5 and CSS3 support, speed improvements and other features the IE team is making for us;
    Live services integration: This feature allows you to sync settings, browser bookmarks/favorities and other configurations with other PCs using Windows 8, so you don't have to manually adapt all your PCs to work the same way;
    Native ISO mounter: This allows you to mount ISO files directly into Windows Explorer without the need to use any 3rd party tools;
    Windows Explorer and Task Manager re-design: Windows Explorer comes with a ribbon like in Microsoft Office 2010, it changes a bit the way you are used to move files around the hard drive (you can read more here), while the task manager brings a more complete and easy to read interface (it looks rather cartoonish too if you ask me);
    and more …

The above is just a small list of new/redesigned features Windows 8 brings, but there are a lot more changes not only for casual users, but also for gamers like integration with the XBOX network or, for more tech people, the ability to create virtual machines with Hyper-V.

Those of you who are curious to check it out you can get the ISO files here.

2. Likes Anoleis liked this post
    Senior Member Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2016 04:10 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [News] Windows 8 Consumer Preview was released

Question: Would it be possible to install(not sure if right word) on an iPod Touch? As in, wiping the god forsaken iOS off of it and using Windows 8.

please say yes

please say yes

please say yes

please say yes

please say yes

Senior Member mrpineapple has a reputation beyond repute mrpineapple has a reputation beyond repute mrpineapple has a reputation beyond repute mrpineapple has a reputation beyond repute mrpineapple has a reputation beyond repute mrpineapple has a reputation beyond repute mrpineapple has a reputation beyond repute mrpineapple has a reputation beyond repute mrpineapple has a reputation beyond repute mrpineapple has a reputation beyond repute mrpineapple has a reputation beyond repute mrpineapple's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Radish Clannad Botan Yellow Orb
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2013 12:53 AM
    Threads

I don't like the whole "integration" feel of it, but that could be just me being me.

Xp ftw! :P

Copyright © 2013 FS FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD has a reputation beyond repute FlashD's Avatar
    Gil
    Lonely
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by The Angelic Anathema View Post
    Question: Would it be possible to install(not sure if right word) on an iPod Touch? As in, wiping the god forsaken iOS off of it and using Windows 8.
    Of course it's possible, but you will have to play with it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpineapple View Post
    I don't like the whole "integration" feel of it, but that could be just me being me.

Xp ftw! :P
    I like the whole integration thing actually. I've been waiting for MS to finally centralize all their products into one pack for quite a while. With the amount of things I use downloading and reconfiguring everything on all my PCs is a pain. o_o

Senior Member mrpineapple has a reputation beyond repute mrpineapple has a reputation beyond repute mrpineapple has a reputation beyond repute mrpineapple has a reputation beyond repute mrpineapple has a reputation beyond repute mrpineapple has a reputation beyond repute mrpineapple has a reputation beyond repute mrpineapple has a reputation beyond repute mrpineapple has a reputation beyond repute mrpineapple has a reputation beyond repute mrpineapple has a reputation beyond repute mrpineapple's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Radish Clannad Botan Yellow Orb
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2013 12:53 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by FlashD View Post
    I like the whole integration thing actually. I've been waiting for MS to finally centralize all their products into one pack for quite a while. With the amount of things I use downloading and reconfiguring everything on all my PCs is a pain. o_o
    I meant across things like phones and tablets and stuff.
    i can see how it is handy though.

Senior Member Samuru has a reputation beyond repute Samuru has a reputation beyond repute Samuru has a reputation beyond repute Samuru has a reputation beyond repute Samuru has a reputation beyond repute Samuru has a reputation beyond repute Samuru has a reputation beyond repute Samuru has a reputation beyond repute Samuru has a reputation beyond repute Samuru has a reputation beyond repute Samuru has a reputation beyond repute Samuru's Avatar
    Gil
    Apprehensive
    Gifts Glass Dice Systems Xbox 360 Controller
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-05-2012 05:44 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: cubangangster

It looks like a retarded version of an imported iOS onto an PC with some recolors. I can't see myself working with something that looks like (and works like) a shitty smartphone. I'll stick with Windows 7.

@Ranshiin : Is that sarcasm?
    Last edited by Samuru; 03-08-2012 at 06:33 AM.

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Gifts Ice Cream Ice Cream Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-22-2017 11:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Samuru View Post
    It looks like a retarded version of an imported iOS onto an PC with some recolors. I can't see myself working with something that looks like (and works like) a shitty smartphone. I'll stick with Windows 7.
    Quite a strong opinion, but unfortunately from what I've seen and heard of Metro UI, my opinion is currently fairly similar.

With the advance in technology and consumerism, the popularity of smartphones and thus touch-screen devices mean this was probably an inevitability. To be honest, I don't like the idea of using a computer through nothing but touch-screen (a smartphone is a different matter. I could now be pedantic and argue about how you'd do certain things on a touch-screen-orientated desktop OS, such as play Call of Duty, but that would just be pushing a pointless and digressing argument), so that's why I therefore currently don't hold a high opinion of a desktop OS designed for such things.

Of course, I could merely be overreacting, but similarly I also never enjoyed Office 2007's ribbon-thing, and if that's been incorporated into the new OS' UI in some manner, then I'm going to have issues with it from the get-go. Maybe for the 'new generation', such an OS won't be too difficult to grasp as it'll be more in-line with the technology they've grown up with, but for someone like me who once had to remember to type 'PLAY SKWEEK' on his Amstrad CPC just to play a video game, then the shift away from 'standard' input peripherals and usability is a bit daunting.

I also hate the Xbox' version of Metro. Just throwing that out there.

So... Flash, since I'm retarded, are you able to post any screenshots of the 'consumer preview' for people like myself to see what exactly this thing looks and works like? I'm not really planning on installing it on my desktop (It'll frell up Grub for a start, since I learned that Windows is possessive over the boot record and you have to install Linux AFTER Windows) and I'm not too keen on installing it on my Dell XPS either. If I can get my old laptop working again (it might just need a new hard disk) then I might try it on that, but that's that :/

Still, an example of this new UI would be beneficial, as maybe my opinion is just far too biased towards what I've seen of it. You say it's not that bad, once you get used to it.

edit

I read the first linked article, which contained more info as well as images... I am, unfortunately, still not impressed with the new UI. A desktop OS is supposed to be a desktop OS, not a larger version of a smartphone OS. The hell is this obsession with 'Apps' anyway? What happened to programs? Also I imagine all these 'apps' running through the Metro OS and all those real-time updates being a real hog on system hardware and internet. :|
    Also, another gripe with smartphone OS' is their damn insistence in throwing things in my face I don't want. I can guarantee that Metro is going to attempt to throw Facebook and Twitter and IE10 and all sorts of other things I don't and never will use in my face, as if daring me, provoking me into using them. I can guarantee similarly, that my first three hours on the OS will be figuring out how to tell it I hate Facebook and I don't want anything to do with it. I don't even want to use SkyDrive, I'm pretty sure Microsoft would love to see me upload proof of piracy onto their cloud servers. >_>
    Last edited by Ranshiin; 03-08-2012 at 06:02 AM.
    : The Game. You just lost it. :

My signature was so old it broke. RIP signature.

Gil
    Lonely
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

By just posting pictures you'd only see what you can see by using Google. I'll hook you up to a virtual machine instead and let you mess with it, just give me a couple of hours to DL the ISO again. I just hope Hyper-V can run it. o_o;;

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It's up to you. I dunno how exactly that's going to work, though. Is it like using Wubi to boot Ubuntu through Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by Samuru View Post
    @Ranshiin : Is that sarcasm?
    What, me quoting your opinion and saying I agree with it? No, I wasn't being sarcastic.

Don Asterisco TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-03-2019 06:04 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Parugin

This will be a wall-o-text post. Be warned.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashD View Post
    Windows 8 Beta or Consumer Preview as Microsoft calls it was just released (a week ago actually). Some people like it, others don't. What is your thought?
    At the least, I am very much not a part of their target market. Less conservatively, I think it's awful. Looks like Fisher-Price did the graphic redesign.

It's fine for a TV/game console display, and might even work well on a tablet or a smartphone, but it's absolutely idiotic to shoehorn it onto desktop or more traditional mobile computers.
    This new Windows brings a whole new idea of using the computer. It was optimized for tablets and touch...
    Ah. Or, the desktop/laptop interface was not addressed on its own merits. Arguably not a great idea, given how many Windows seats are corporate/business setups, chugging along faithfully on neglected, soiled, and dusty towers, desktop and laptops.
    Internet Explorer 10: Most of you don't really use it, but those who do will probably enjoy the new spell checker (yes, I know, Firefox and Chrome had that ages ago >_>;; ), better HTML5 and CSS3 support, speed improvements and other features the IE team is making for us;
    IE is still the browser of last resort, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe I'd use it before Safari, but only because it's already installed. (Version 8, though; XP still lives here.)
    Live services integration: This feature allows you to sync settings, browser bookmarks/favorites and other configurations with other PCs using Windows 8, so you don't have to manually adapt all your PCs to work the same way;
    I'll grant you, I've done that via applications' sync features or Dropbox trickery, but I've done it.
    Native ISO mounter: This allows you to mount ISO files directly into Windows Explorer without the need to use any 3rd party tools;
    Been using click-to-mount, in Puppy Linux since '08, at least, and Puppy is a smaller effort, so I'd assume that the capability has been around longer still. Old hat.
    Windows Explorer and Task Manager re-design: Windows Explorer comes with a ribbon like in Microsoft Office 2010...
    Add another grumbling complaint to my list.
    ...it changes a bit the way you are used to move files around the hard drive (you can read more here), while the task manager brings a more complete and easy to read interface (it looks rather cartoonish too if you ask me);
    WIndows has had terrible copy/move dialogs for years.

and more …
    Be still, my beating heart.

The three biggest things Microsoft has going for it in its Windows and Office business are (1) market dominance, (2) age-old backwards compatibility and (3) alliances with hardware OEMs, particularly Intel.
    In their infinite wisdom, though, they've decided to enter a market (tablets) where they have no such clout- it's held mostly by Apple and varied Android, et al devices.
    They have also decided that applications must be written for the Metro interface, and that some of the tablets (and maybe PCs, too- don't know yet) will run on ARM processors without any x86 compatibility layer, software or hardware.
    They propose to install it on tablets, many running ARM processors, which will neglect many existing OEM partners, particularly Intel.

So, to recap, they are throwing away their three main business advantages, all at once, while neglecting the use cases (corporate/business) that has done the most for them, historically. Brilliant stuff, this.

I'll just finish with one more little link. Good reading, might be useful. Certain parallels between each case regarding users, use cases, UI redesigns, etc.
    http://www.extremetech.com/computing...ty-against-you
    Last edited by TheAsterisk!; 03-14-2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: You're not my *real* dad! You can't tell *me* what to do!

12. Likes Aku no Hikari, KageNoNeko liked this post
    Senior Member Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pokedex 025 - Pikachu
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-05-2012 01:07 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I downloaded it, and tested it when it was released. I certainly find it interesting though I'll be sticking with Windows 7 for now. I see no reason to upgrade at this point.
    Gero Server Guru

Senior Member .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts A Duck 149 - Dragonite
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-24-2016 11:02 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

I'm not even going to waste my time and download it now. It will be heavily marketed, the uneducated masses will love it, then we'll all feel like we're missing out and 2 years after release we'll all be using it forgetting this thread and our gripes.

As for my gripes everythings been said so rehashing it in a huge long winded post is useless.
    Last edited by .Tatty.; 03-14-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Lex Luger R.I.P
    ¦ Sexy Logo By Me ¦ R A R E R E N D E R ¦ Tutorial requests and PSD Requests open ¦ Tag Thread

15. Likes Aku no Hikari liked this post
    Don Asterisco TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by G-Unit Tatty Dawg View Post
    It will be heavily marketed, the uneducated masses will love it, then we'll all feel like we're missing out and 2 years after release we'll all be using it forgetting this thread and our gripes.
    Some of us, maybe. Myself, I still bring up Clippy.

God, I really hope ReactOS gets out of alpha before the pyramids crumble.

Senior Member .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsterisk! View Post
    Some of us, maybe. Myself, I still bring up Clippy.

God, I really hope ReactOS gets out of alpha before the pyramids crumble.
    That's mainly aimed at windows 7 users.

Lex Luger R.I.P
    ¦ Sexy Logo By Me ¦ R A R E R E N D E R ¦ Tutorial requests and PSD Requests open ¦ Tag Thread

Gil
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by G-Unit Tatty Dawg View Post
    That's mainly aimed at windows 7 users.
    That you for reiterating my point. I'd much prefer something that emulated the interface of even Windows 2000 rather than one that apes Windows 8.

EDIT: Perhaps you meant your comment was aimed at Win7 users, not that ReactOS was aimed at them, in which case things would make more sense. My apologies, if this is so.
    Last edited by TheAsterisk!; 03-14-2012 at 02:09 PM. Reason: REVELATION!

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

The later was the correct one, I should have made it clearer so for that good sir, i am the one that apologies.

Lex Luger R.I.P

Junior Member Tony Stark is on a distinguished road Tony Stark's Avatar
    Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-15-2012 05:24 AM
    Threads

There's a windows 8? o.o Jesus christ..

Member KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Gifts Ouran Patch
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-22-2017 11:11 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsterisk! View Post
    This will be a wall-o-text post. Be warned.

At the least, I am very much not a part of their target market. Less conservatively, I think it's awful. Looks like Fisher-Price did the graphic redesign.
    That was my first gut reaction when I saw the developer preview. The consumer preview just looks as bad.

Gil
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Woo, Puppy Linux! @TheAsterisk!

Even though I dual-boot windows 7 and ubuntu and my experience with puppy tends to be one of my co-workers complaining the disc won't boot on a laptop. >.>

Well, I had a bit of a discussion about W8 with FlashD in the chat a few nights ago and also had an attempted go/look at the OS itself via what basically amounted to a remote connection/control program. Derp Hyper-V derp. But, to be fair to FlashD - and I am being honest here - I'm still not impressed by the new OS.

Having had its features demonstrated to me and having attempted momentarily to play around with it myself ... really, even for someone who has grown up using Windows' systems (I think I've used everything except the server edition OS') the new design and the intended direction being taken left me very confused as the new system evidently turned me into a complete computer n00b. You would have really expected Microsoft to keep some decent aspect of user-compatibility with the UI - as I said, I've grown up with Windows systems and the transition from one new OS to the next has never really been headache-inducing. Yes, as new OS have been released, new features have been implemented and over time the UI itself has changed, but it has been a gradual change and for the most part what I used to do to perform a task in Windows 98, possessed a similar if not identical method in future OS. The biggest pain for me in Windows 7 was getting used to the new control panel layout, in comparison to Windows XP.

Obviously, therefore, Windows 8 has changed too much in one go, in attempting to appeal to the new smartphone/tablet-orientated consumer. Yes, after being demonstrated how to do certain things in W8, it's obvious it's still a desktop OS, but the fact is that there have been from what I experienced too many new changes and it left me confused. Maybe for someone who has never used a computer before, the OS will sit fine, but for people like my parents, who have only just recently been introduced to Windows 7 having used XP MCE for the past six years, the changes are going to leave them confused as to how to do things.

Isn't the new OS supposed to simplify how you do things? It took me five minutes to figure out how to use the 'start menu'. Christ, Flash had to physically SHOW ME. I work with computers for a living, and it left me stumped. That's enough of an impression in itself. ~_~

Still, I had a similar opinion of Vista when it first came out (my opinion of Vista, unfortunately, hasn't changed). I don't want to bash W8 but for a new user it's quite a radical change from the previous directions Microsoft have been going. I've only used it for, say, an hour or so, so my experience is notably limited and really I should play with it a little more before giving a more definitive opinion; I'm guessing that after I've used it for a while and gotten used to the changes I might grow to like it. Maybe I won't, but first impressions do tend to shape the opinion as a whole, and my first impressions aren't very positive. It may work well as a smartphone OS but as a desktop OS it seems a step in the wrong direction right now.

Also, I hate 'Metro'. I'm waiting for people to start whispering gay jokes about it. (-cough- metrosexuals -cough-). Yeah, I went there. :|

... But yeah. It's something I'm going to have to get more in-depth with in the hopes I get used to it. I WANT to like it. Just right now, I don't.

Gil
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Ranshiin View Post
    Woo, Puppy Linux! @TheAsterisk!

Even though I dual-boot windows 7 and ubuntu and my experience with puppy tends to be one of my co-workers complaining the disc won't boot on a laptop. >.>
    Whatever works. I happen to think my Puppy is perfectly well house broken, but others do report stains on the carpet and chewed slippers from time to time.
    Also, I hate 'Metro'. I'm waiting for people to start whispering gay jokes about it. (-cough- metrosexuals -cough-). Yeah, I went there. :|

From my perspective, it's just a continuation of the condescending, user-is-a-dolt UI design philosophy, embraced by far too many OS companies and projects. It's the kind of thing that I would expect to see adorned with a piece of masking tape with my name scrawled in block letters on it in marker. You know, just in case I forget which one is mine.

I don't appreciate that kind of thing unless it's done in jest.
    Last edited by TheAsterisk!; 05-10-2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: "User-is-a-dolt" design is also what leads to absolutely useless but graphically pretty user manuals.

looking for 'someone just for me" <3 Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet is a splendid one to behold Chi The Sweet's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Black Ribbon Rainbow Ribbon Mic
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-09-2013 09:40 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

whats with the frikkin tiles????!!!!!

Sig ^ made by @Kaleohano *hugs*

Member KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko has much to be proud of KageNoNeko's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Gifts Ouran Patch
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-22-2017 11:11 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Luv_The_Unloved View Post
    whats with the frikkin tiles????!!!!!
    That's Metro and what I've seen of it made me dislike it.

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

You know, I feel dirty admitting it, but Ive considered installing Internet Explorer 9 based on the commercials...so Im interested in how 10 will look

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    (:| |: )
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||