AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First time making a costume, I honestly don't know where to start.

Member Miss Manipulation has a reputation beyond repute Miss Manipulation has a reputation beyond repute Miss Manipulation has a reputation beyond repute Miss Manipulation has a reputation beyond repute Miss Manipulation has a reputation beyond repute Miss Manipulation has a reputation beyond repute Miss Manipulation has a reputation beyond repute Miss Manipulation has a reputation beyond repute Miss Manipulation has a reputation beyond repute Miss Manipulation has a reputation beyond repute Miss Manipulation has a reputation beyond repute Miss Manipulation's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-29-2012 12:41 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default First time making a costume, I honestly don't know where to start.

I don't even know how to sew! But I've got my mom to teach me that part. Well anyways. I decided if my mother is not going to let me buy and cosplay, if I make it she might be proud of the end result and let me finally cosplay. I, however, have no idea how to start. All the characters I'd like to cosplay as have such... extravagant if not oddly-made costumes. Such as:
    http://images.wikia.com/aselia/image...fg225toa12.jpg
    http://cosplayreferencelibrary.files...2/04/46107.jpg

I don't know what fabrics, or what part to start at, or... I just. Oh gosh, and wigs. Not quite sure how I'm going to pull that off without buying one.

Senior Member threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves has a reputation beyond repute threewolves's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Wolf
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-12-2013 11:23 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W0LF1NN PSN ID: G0pherG0d

Default Re: First time making a costume, I honestly don't know where to start.

Hmm, to just start out, I would probably start small and work yourself up to the main stuff. A whole costume can be a daunting thing, but if you look at it in as very small stages, it doesnt look so big and next thing you know its done.

Since your just starting out to learn to sew, I would pick easy pieces of the costume, get some very cheap fabric to work with and practice on that. Last thing you want to do is mess up the good stuff. Plus it will let you learn what is good to work with or not.

I havent cosplayed yet, but I do medieval fighting, so a couple of things I have learnt from that could help here. Work with breathable materials. I know the difference between wearing nonbreathing material and breathing material, as in linen under my armor, is night and day as far as surviving the heat.

I'm sure plenty of folks will jump in here soon to help you out, those are just some ideas I have from what I have learnt over the years in my other hobby, that translates well to here.

Senior Member Jacob's Ladder has a reputation beyond repute Jacob's Ladder has a reputation beyond repute Jacob's Ladder has a reputation beyond repute Jacob's Ladder has a reputation beyond repute Jacob's Ladder has a reputation beyond repute Jacob's Ladder has a reputation beyond repute Jacob's Ladder has a reputation beyond repute Jacob's Ladder has a reputation beyond repute Jacob's Ladder has a reputation beyond repute Jacob's Ladder has a reputation beyond repute Jacob's Ladder has a reputation beyond repute Jacob's Ladder's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Mario Goomba Paint Palette Kawaii Sundae
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-11-2015 05:42 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SolidArmor1

Wow that would look amazing if you can pull it off. I have a few friends that cosplay, and they use material that is sturdy, but breathes. They never want to be hot...so make sure to research what types of cloth work well together and won't leave you drenched.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information