AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cursive Writing: Should it still be taught?

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cursive Writing: Should it still be taught?

In my view, cursive suffers from a similar problem as other signs of "high" culture in general, like basic knowledge of classical languages (Greek and Latin) or literature. In the past, learning these things played two real roles; 1) in a time when official documents were kept by hand, being conditioned to write and read well was a highly valued skill, and 2) it was a mark of status of an educated and cultured person to know these things (it functioned as a social indicator of character; in that sense Eris' "proof" is not so far off the mark).

Nowadays, with the advent of word processors and electronic dictionaries, the importance of 1) had diminished (it's probably far more useful in the real world to teach students how to blind-type), and with the rise of a modernized "mass culture" in which a majority of the population are college-educated, the sort of class-ism implicit in 2) is rather out-dated. In our day and age, being able to write in impeccable copperplate is about as "useful" as being able to quote a line from Catullus (of course, whether it's a good thing that one can do it is another matter entirely).
    Last edited by Datenshi; 08-26-2011 at 07:23 AM.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Senior Member Darkhallows has much to be proud of Darkhallows has much to be proud of Darkhallows has much to be proud of Darkhallows has much to be proud of Darkhallows has much to be proud of Darkhallows has much to be proud of Darkhallows has much to be proud of Darkhallows has much to be proud of Darkhallows has much to be proud of Darkhallows has much to be proud of Darkhallows's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-11-2012 12:51 AM
    Threads

I was never taught it, and I seem to have survived.
    Eh, I don't think it matters. It looks pretty, but there are more important things to teach people.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Senior Member SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-14-2014 06:26 AM
    Berwald Oxenstiernas (Hetalia) vital regions [Sweden]
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by konkikushuro View Post
    To me cursive is tedious and annoying, it shouldn't be even thought about anymore, i mean geez, these schools are focusing on something that just isn't important anymore >.>.
    Instead of thinking about our type of writing they should making us have college-like Education so we can be just like the other countries: prepared for school with a higher academic level so we can get through school faster.
    YOU are wonderful!
    I salute you! *hugs*

Back to the topic.

I am studying to become a teacher at this very moment and my honest opinion is that cursive writing is useless! After all, it's not for nothing that we are going into an age were paper and pen is not needed. What we should be focusing on is to teach children to write on a keyboard faster, because that is what they will be using in the future. Even in the university paper and pen becomes more and more rare. Every year the number that only writes directly on their brought computers or in their mobiles phones increases (instead of writing notes in a notebook). So why teach youngsters cursive writing? There is absolutly no point in doing that.... Alright... maybe your signature will "look better" but why wasting lots and lots of school hours on teaching people how to make your signature "pretty"? Put that time to better use. Teach them how to use the keyboard in the best and most effective way as they can and spend the hours on the other subjects instead. Lightyears better if you ask me. And hey - I am the one who will be educating atleast 2-3 generations forward. *tumbs up for me*

Cursive writing is not needed. I curtenly will not teach it to anyone if I don't "have to" (from above).

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie
    Season five of Game of Thrones
    New episodes of Downton Abbey

Magical Llama Man Ryuu battousai_ryuu has a reputation beyond repute battousai_ryuu has a reputation beyond repute battousai_ryuu has a reputation beyond repute battousai_ryuu has a reputation beyond repute battousai_ryuu has a reputation beyond repute battousai_ryuu has a reputation beyond repute battousai_ryuu has a reputation beyond repute battousai_ryuu has a reputation beyond repute battousai_ryuu has a reputation beyond repute battousai_ryuu has a reputation beyond repute battousai_ryuu has a reputation beyond repute battousai_ryuu's Avatar
    Gil
    Aggressive
    Gifts Batmobile 1989 Batmobile Animated Jaguar XKR
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-17-2012 12:19 PM
    Threads

I don't think it's absolutely necessary that they teach cursive writing but appreciate the art of calligraphy. I think if we completely lost cursive it would only increase the likelyhood of losing more calligraphy.
    Set made by the Wonderfully talented Yukari :3
    "You are slow, even when falling..."
    BLEACH
    Father(/mother O-o): Ryutama
    Mothers: Mikuchuu & SuXrys
    Older Brother to:
    Keena Aya Ashikaga
    Miki~
    Xey Oiz

Senior Member SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-14-2014 06:26 AM
    Berwald Oxenstiernas (Hetalia) vital regions [Sweden]
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by battousai_ryuu View Post
    I don't think it's absolutely necessary that they teach cursive writing but appreciate the art of calligraphy. I think if we completely lost cursive it would only increase the likelyhood of losing more calligraphy.

We will most certainly always know how to write.
    But does it really matter if we in the future won't know how to write "as good" as we used to?

I am convinced that all people will write in all ways, but the old fashioned way, in the future.

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie
    Season five of Game of Thrones
    New episodes of Downton Abbey

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I know how to write in cursive.

Senior Member Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I guess it's useful for learning how to sign documents, but I personally never saw the point of it otherwise.

Senior Member marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix has a reputation beyond repute marvel_phoenix's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Witch Hat Gir Aries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-04-2012 08:45 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I first started learning cursive way back in 1992 (man do I feel old...) I don't write in it all the time, but I feel that it is a valuable skill.

Is knowing cursive a necessity? Not really. Would it hurt people to sit down and learn and practice? Most likely not. People are all go-go-go today. They want what they want right now. Learning cursive would teach kids to learn patience and hopefully develop an appreciation for things. Think of it in terms similar to the art of Bonzai. ;-)
    My Bubblegum Crisis fan-site --> The Bubblegum Crisis Sanctum (a work in progress)

and my humble blog --> The Writing Desk

--> My AF album

Pet Shop Story and Dragon Story ids: webowers, wbowers

Senior Member CoRRuPTioN GaRDeN has a reputation beyond repute CoRRuPTioN GaRDeN has a reputation beyond repute CoRRuPTioN GaRDeN has a reputation beyond repute CoRRuPTioN GaRDeN has a reputation beyond repute CoRRuPTioN GaRDeN has a reputation beyond repute CoRRuPTioN GaRDeN has a reputation beyond repute CoRRuPTioN GaRDeN has a reputation beyond repute CoRRuPTioN GaRDeN has a reputation beyond repute CoRRuPTioN GaRDeN has a reputation beyond repute CoRRuPTioN GaRDeN has a reputation beyond repute CoRRuPTioN GaRDeN has a reputation beyond repute CoRRuPTioN GaRDeN's Avatar
    Gil
    In Love
    Gifts Gir Kawaii Ice Cream Cone
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-22-2012 03:58 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I think people should just write with their own font :3
    So, y'know, if people want to learn cursive, they can, but if people are better with print, they can improve upon their print instead of learning cursive and trying to improve upon that, too.
    I learned cursive in kindergarten, and my handwriting is totally screwed up now! DX My print is all looped together, and my cursive looks waaay better, but it's hard for others to read because of how I slant it TT^TT

So, if people want to learn cursive, I think they should go for it - but if people don't, they shouldn't be taught it in the first place. I guess it's a good thing to know how to read cursive, though :/
    Honestly, I think I'm fine with having learnt both cursive and print I'm thankful for it, actually, but most schools no longer have cursive final drafts. They have them printed in a font on the computer owo;;

It's just a mainstream thing to have these eggs.

deviantART .::. YouTube .::. tumblr. .::. Photobucket

Join my RPG

Senior Member Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Present Bomb Aquarius
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2014 05:45 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I know how to cursive write, but I don't normally, I print. I think it's good for doing your signature, but other than that, unless it's your major, not very useful.

ein, zwei, drei, vier bin endlich weg von Dir
    fünf, sechs, sieben, acht Du hast jetzt keine Macht

Senior Member Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Orange Dango Bioshock Eve Soul Eater Logo
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-06-2012 05:34 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhallows View Post
    I was never taught it, and I seem to have survived.
    Eh, I don't think it matters. It looks pretty, but there are more important things to teach people.
    It looks fancy but in no way do I think it looks pretty. Almost all notes that I read that were written in cursive were near unreadable.

I had to learn cursive back in Brazil but when I moved to Australia it was already phased out for typing classes. After one year I eventually started writing in print since it was much neater.
    Senjougahara Fascination

Senior Member bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug has a reputation beyond repute bug's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2013 08:48 PM
    Threads

I actually do write in cursive normally. The only time I switch to print is when i have to right a quick note to someone just cause my really good cursive is more messy than my half baked print (for the love of god, if you can't read cursive, just say that instead of automatically saying it's messy). I randomly switched to cursive half way through freshmen year in high school and, well, ended up sticking with it.

I don't think there is much need to teach cursive now a days. Almost nobody uses it. Personally, I think a quick, one day lesson is good enough. There are teachers both in high school and college who do write in cursive so not mentioning it will probably end up hurting them more then helping them. Basically, it should be thought enough so that the person could recognize it, but it's not really of any importance to teach it as if the person will use it.
    Sig no longer in development...

Roarrrrrrrrrrr!
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Be Mine 143 - Snorlax Cookie
    Mentioned
    754 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-29-2016 11:05 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

The same trend is being seen in even countries that do not use a Latin-based script.

Take China, for example. Everyone from my parents' generation can write beautiful grass script (cursive Chinese), which I can hardly recognize. The young generation now relies so much on electronic devices (computers, cellphones, etc.) that they can hardly write a sentence in Chinese without looking up a character. And, of course, when the young Chinese write (including me), they print, one stroke after another, which takes forever.

Senior Member Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym has a reputation beyond repute Gauntlgrym's Avatar
    Gil
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-27-2012 11:10 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: pieRESURRECTED

i think cursive should be taught, but just so that you can read it, if someone else is using it.
    they shouldn't put too much time and effort into it. like making kids practice it for weeks straight.

just teach it enough so if someone comes across it in the future, they will be able to read it.
    "If you talk to God, you are praying. If God talks to you, you have schizophrenia."

Junior Member Akita894 is on a distinguished road Akita894's Avatar
    Mellow
    Gifts Shelby GT500 Zebra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-29-2011 08:34 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SnowyWhiteFox

personally, i don't think cursive can be taught..because with signatures and etc..people, (me included) just end up making up our own kind of "cursive" writing

~I'll Also Show You A Sweet Dream Next Night~

Senior Member Ezza Obsuna has a reputation beyond repute Ezza Obsuna has a reputation beyond repute Ezza Obsuna has a reputation beyond repute Ezza Obsuna has a reputation beyond repute Ezza Obsuna has a reputation beyond repute Ezza Obsuna has a reputation beyond repute Ezza Obsuna has a reputation beyond repute Ezza Obsuna has a reputation beyond repute Ezza Obsuna has a reputation beyond repute Ezza Obsuna has a reputation beyond repute Ezza Obsuna has a reputation beyond repute Ezza Obsuna's Avatar
    Gil
    Woot
    Gifts K-on Pick Black Cat Manekineko
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-13-2011 11:47 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I don't care if it's taught in school or not. Whenever I scribble, I tend to use cursive handwriting.I also use them when I'm doing designs or letterings. I only use the 'normal' way when I'm not in a hurry.

:SET BY ME:
    Requests are OPENMy Works Illuminated Spirits
    November Update for my Ebook Collection!
    Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive. -Bugs Bunny

Closed Thread

Thread Information