AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So, recently I bought an Olympus PEN EPL-1 ...

Senior Member Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default So, recently I bought an Olympus PEN EPL-1 ...

Since i've become a Flickr addict, i've also become more interested in Amateur Photography. This is my first Micro Four Thirds camera (a DSLR was a bit too expensive for me, but I wanted something better than a point-and-shoot, and so I sold my Sony DSC-TX 7 & 10 that I had previously.)

Right now, I only have the kit lens that came with it (the 14-42mm M. Zuiko), and I am practicing taking Macro shots. A few from my Flickr (taken outside):

Backyard Berries & Leaves by Miss ☪ Moonlight, on Flickr

Curly Leaf Macro by Miss ☪ Moonlight, on Flickr

Backyard Leaves by Miss ☪ Moonlight, on Flickr

Maneki Neko Set by Miss ☪ Moonlight, on Flickr

Blue Maneki Neko by Miss ☪ Moonlight, on Flickr

The DSi XL is Super by Miss ☪ Moonlight, on Flickr

This one was taken inside using the pop-up flash:

¥200 Macro by Miss ☪ Moonlight, on Flickr

I know they aren't super impressive, but i'm still learning. :]
    Last edited by Miss Moonlight; 07-25-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Ace Kaitous YOU Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Hat Rayman Baboon With A Gun Bioshock Syringe
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-23-2024 09:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: kaitou ace42 PSN ID: kaitou42 Steam ID: kaitou_ace

Default Re: So, recently I bought an Olympus PEN EPL-1 ...

Good start ^_^ The Oly Pen is a very capable series, and I like how the second photo came out, look forward to seeing more

3. Thanks Miss Moonlight thanked for this post
    Senior Member Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2013 03:47 PM
    Threads

You'll enjoy the PEN, Miss Moonlight. I shoot a lot with the E-PL2 PEN. Here is my original E-P1 PEN with a soviet Jupiter-3 lens (shot with the E-PL2 and Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8 lens):

Here's a few other shots from the E-PL2:

Or from the original E-P1 Digital PEN...

The PEN series is indeed very capable, as Kaitou says. The image quality is quite superb and can be mounted with the broadest range of lenses in the world, and the camera has all the functions (but not the same handling characteristics) of a pro DSLR along with adaptability to all studio accessories and lighting. The E-PL1 has nearly the same imaging capabilities as the E-PL2, although the control system (menu, dials, buttons) and some performance attributes (max shutter speed, ISO sensitivity, etc.) is more limited. You could not have found a better camera for the price.

I just finished a 3 week catalog shoot for over 300 products included in a 3,000 page nationwide catalog... all shot with the Olympus E-PL2 Digital PEN. Mounted with the right lenses, the PEN makes a better studio camera than my pro-grade DSLR.

I love your Neko photos, by the way. Keep them coming!
    Last edited by Neddog; 07-26-2011 at 02:42 PM.
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.

5. Thanks Miss Moonlight thanked for this post
    Senior Member Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Thanks. :] I want to get a Aspherical Pancake Lens next.

I wanted the EPL-2 originally, but it wasn't in my budget. I am happy with the EPL-1 though. :] And, I found some of my photos made quite nice-looking wallpaper images.
    Last edited by Miss Moonlight; 07-26-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Senior Member Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Moonlight View Post
    Thanks. :] I want to get a Aspherical Pancake Lens next.
    Ah, you mean like the Lumix 20mm f/1.7? That would be a very good choice of lenses to start with. I use the Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 pancake on my PEN, but that's because I prefer Four-Thirds glass over Micro Four-Thirds. I am very interested though in the new m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8.
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.

Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neddog View Post
    Ah, you mean like the Lumix 20mm f/1.7? That would be a very good choice of lenses to start with. I use the Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 pancake on my PEN, but that's because I prefer Four-Thirds glass over Micro Four-Thirds. I am very interested though in the new m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8.
    Yup. I was looking at that one, but it's pretty expensive, so I have a while to save up. Hah.

Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Yup. I was looking at that one, but it's pretty expensive, so I have a while to save up. Hah.
    That lens skyrocketed in price due to incredible demand because it was quite a special lens. Originally they were $300 (Canadian price) when the GF-1 came out, but that went up to about $400 in the first half year, and about $500 in the first year! How often do you see a lens go UP in value 40% from its release price in the first year? Normally they'll go down a huge chunk after they've been out for a year.

That goes to show how worthy a lens it is. However, that was in the early days of the system, and the competition has now stepped up to plate with great lens designs. Leica finally released their 25mm f/1.4 Summilux for Micro Four-Thirds, which was a great lens in the Four-Thirds mount, Voigtlander released a 25mm f/0.95 Nokton, and Olympus has finally released some worthy m.Zuiko primes in the form of their new 12mm f/2.0 and 45mm f/1.8. So expect the price of the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 to start going down now...
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.

Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

That lens skyrocketed in price due to incredible demand because it was quite a special lens. Originally they were $300 (Canadian price) when the GF-1 came out, but that went up to about $400 in the first half year, and about $500 in the first year! How often do you see a lens go UP in value 40% from its release price in the first year? Normally they'll go down a huge chunk after they've been out for a year.

That goes to show how worthy a lens it is. However, that was in the early days of the system, and the competition has now stepped up to plate with great lens designs. Leica finally released their 25mm f/1.4 Summilux for Micro Four-Thirds, which was a great lens in the Four-Thirds mount, Voigtlander released a 25mm f/0.95 Nokton, and Olympus has finally released some worthy m.Zuiko primes in the form of their new 12mm f/2.0 and 45mm f/1.8. So expect the price of the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 to start going down now...
    I think I might sell the 14-42mm and get that one ...

Which one would you recommend, the Panasonic LUMIX G 20mm, or this one by Olympus?

The Olympus one is cheaper, but I kind of want the Panasonic one more.
    Last edited by Miss Moonlight; 07-26-2011 at 08:08 PM.

Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I think I might sell the 14-42mm and get that one ...

Which one would you recommend, the Panasonic LUMIX G 20mm, or this one by Olympus?

The Olympus one is cheaper, but I kind of want the Panasonic one more.
    Get the Panasonic. The Olympus lens is a good lens, but the Panasonic one is actually better in every way. It's sharper, CA is better controlled, focus ring feels nicer, and of course it has a significantly brighter aperture. Only reason to buy the Olympus would be price. If you had gotten the Olympus as a kit lens then it's a pretty good lens to keep, but if you're buying a new lens then I would skip it and go straight for the Panasonic.

The two higher-grade Micro Four-Thirds primes that Olympus has were just released, the 12mm f/2 and the 45mm f/1.8, but you wouldn't be able to get those in most locales yet. The 45mm f/1.8 will be close in price to the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, and will be a very strong competitor for that lens. The 45mm focal length (90mm Equivalent) is much better suited for me. The 12mm f/2 however, will be twice the price as it is considered a "high grade" m.Zuiko lens.

PS, since you say you're a Flickr junkie now, I added you as a contact. I don't use Flickr very much, though.
    Last edited by Neddog; 07-26-2011 at 08:54 PM.
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.

12. Thanks Miss Moonlight thanked for this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I took a few more today while on a walk. I actually got a decent picture of Bee inside a flower in one of them (I got two in bees in another picture, not shown here) :]

It was a pretty awesome, sunny day for pictures.

Sunflower & White Picket Fence by Miss ☪ Moonlight, on Flickr

Bee inside a White & Pink Flower by Miss ☪ Moonlight, on Flickr

Pink Flower Macro by Miss ☪ Moonlight, on Flickr

Pink & White Flower Macro by Miss ☪ Moonlight, on Flickr

Magenta Flower by Miss ☪ Moonlight, on Flickr
    Last edited by Miss Moonlight; 07-27-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Member zekes is on a distinguished road zekes's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-04-2011 09:06 PM
    Threads

A little more work and I can say you can have your photo taken on a gallery so other will see your talent and pictures too.

Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Another Recent shot:

Orange Lily Macro by Miss ☪ Moonlight, on Flickr

Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Beautiful stamens.

Still using the kit lens? Have you got the macro conversion lens yet?
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.

Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Beautiful stamens.

Still using the kit lens? Have you got the macro conversion lens yet?

Thanks. And yup, still using the kit lens. I'm waiting to get the Pancake lens, though.

Junior Member loser love has a reputation beyond repute loser love has a reputation beyond repute loser love has a reputation beyond repute loser love has a reputation beyond repute loser love has a reputation beyond repute loser love has a reputation beyond repute loser love has a reputation beyond repute loser love has a reputation beyond repute loser love has a reputation beyond repute loser love has a reputation beyond repute loser love has a reputation beyond repute loser love's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-27-2011 04:31 AM
    Threads

loved it, very nice =)

19. Thanks Miss Moonlight thanked for this post
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Thanks. And yup, still using the kit lens. I'm waiting to get the Pancake lens, though.
    Sweet. You'll love the pancake.
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information