AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interest in Photography as a CAREER

Hybrid View

Member Kishiko will become famous soon enough Kishiko's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Photoshop
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-09-2011 03:08 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Exclamation Interest in Photography as a CAREER

I'm interest in having photography as a career. I tried researching about it and haven't gone far with it. So can anyone tell me about photography careers? I also want to know about traveling as a photographer. Some photographers travel in different countries.

Pretty much I want to know anything about being a photographer.

Morphine. Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Paint Palette Gun Camera Dslr
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-04-2012 09:22 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Interest in Photography as a CAREER

Photography is not a career. It's an art. If you only want to be a photographer to earn money and go to places, gtho. You probably seen it around and went like "Oh this stuff is easy and cool I wanna do it too." =/ You obviously don't understand anything out of it.
    No Mercy,
    No Remorse.

||Thank you MaruDashi for the great set!||

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

Quote Originally Posted by Kanjoudakai_Ira View Post
    Photography is not a career. It's an art. If you only want to be a photographer to earn money and go to places, gtho. You probably seen it around and went like "Oh this stuff is easy and cool I wanna do it too." =/ You obviously don't understand anything out of it.
    Yeah way to be narrow minded. First, not all photography is art. I wouldn't call taking a picture of the president at a gathering art. It's just a picture. Not to mention your post loses what little value it could have had due to your attitude. So why don't you follow your own advice and leave this topic alone.

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

Actually photography is an art. :|
    It's not pencil and brush art but it's still an art.
    Photography: is the art, science, and practice of creating pictures by recording radiation on a radiation-sensitive medium

We have it at my art school. I'm planning on taking photography or something as my Minor. There's more detail that photography requires than "oh that looks pretty -snap-"

Unless you're really good you're not going to get anywhere with photography. Go ahead. Go march into National Geographic or something and ask if they'll hire you. They may even ask you for a portfolio and if you have a degree in photography.

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by blueangel06661 View Post
    Actually photography is an art. :|
    It's not pencil and brush art but it's still an art.
    Photography: is the art, science, and practice of creating pictures by recording radiation on a radiation-sensitive medium

We have it at my art school. I'm planning on taking photography or something as my Minor. There's more detail that photography requires than "oh that looks pretty -snap-"

Unless you're really good you're not going to get anywhere with photography. Go ahead. Go march into National Geographic or something and ask if they'll hire you. They may even ask you for a portfolio and if you have a degree in photography.
    Certain forms of it, yes. But would you consider an impromptu picture of a family in front of a tree art? No, it's only art when the intention is there to be art. Otherwise it's just a picture.

Morphine. Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira has a reputation beyond repute Kanjoudakai_Ira's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Paint Palette Gun Camera Dslr
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-04-2012 09:22 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Well, "taking a picture" is not "photography". I suggest you get better information about the forms of "photography" before commenting. Of course a camera can take a picture, but a picture is not a photograph. And photographers, the ones who really have a career out of it, they don't "take pictures", even if they snap shots of scenery that's already there(like nature), they have the knowledge, exercise and talent to capture moments in an artistic and attractive way. Any idiot can point and shoot, but it takes a lot more to be a photographer.
    No Mercy,
    No Remorse.

||Thank you MaruDashi for the great set!||

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Kanjoudakai_Ira View Post
    Well, "taking a picture" is not "photography". I suggest you get better information about the forms of "photography" before commenting. Of course a camera can take a picture, but a picture is not a photograph. And photographers, the ones who really have a career out of it, they don't "take pictures", even if they snap shots of scenery that's already there(like nature), they have the knowledge, exercise and talent to capture moments in an artistic and attractive way. Any idiot can point and shoot, but it takes a lot more to be a photographer.
    Fine, lets look at the definition of photograph:

-An image, especially a positive print, recorded by a camera and reproduced on a photosensitive surface.

A family picture would fall under that would it not? Your definition would apply to photographer but not the word photograph. And don't assume someones knowledge. I actually know a bit about it from classes in high school.

May precipitate OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-18-2018 11:48 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by GameGeeks View Post
    Fine, lets look at the definition of photograph:

-An image, especially a positive print, recorded by a camera and reproduced on a photosensitive surface.

A family picture would fall under that would it not? Your definition would apply to photographer but not the word photograph. And don't assume someones knowledge. I actually know a bit about it from classes in high school.
    Sure, by root definition of the word "photography" you're right. But generally, in a photography forum "photography" applies to the application of the elements I mentioned in my previous post. The subject matter is irrelevant i.e. a family picture, it is the photograph itself that holds any worth. I could take a photograph of a bottle in focus and out of focus so that you can't tell what it is. They're both photographs and it is still photography, but the first photograph has applied proper technique whereas the second one hasn't.

Tru Fax: Princess Minako wrestled Jesus... and won

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by OminousCloud View Post
    Sure, by root definition of the word "photography" you're right. But generally, in a photography forum "photography" applies to the application of the elements I mentioned in my previous post. The subject matter is irrelevant i.e. a family picture, it is the photograph itself that holds any worth. I could take a photograph of a bottle in focus and out of focus so that you can't tell what it is. They're both photographs and it is still photography, but the first photograph has applied proper technique whereas the second one hasn't.
    Again, gonna disagree since the word photograph has applied to photos pretty much since the dawn of the camera. The fact that cameras have become an everyday item doesn't change the fact that the word photograph is attached to a picture produced by a camera. That's not gonna change. It's how you use a camera that determines whether a picture is art or not. That's why I said it's just a picture unless the intent is there to be art. The image itself is still a photograph. Like your bottle example, it's art if the intent is there. Whether it's good art or not is another matter but if that's your intention then that's what it's considered.

May precipitate OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by GameGeeks View Post
    Again, gonna disagree since the word photograph has applied to photos pretty much since the dawn of the camera. The fact that cameras have become an everyday item doesn't change the fact that the word photograph is attached to a picture produced by a camera. That's not gonna change. It's how you use a camera that determines whether a picture is art or not. That's why I said it's just a picture unless the intent is there to be art. The image itself is still a photograph. Like your bottle example, it's art if the intent is there. Whether it's good art or not is another matter but if that's your intention then that's what it's considered.
    Photography (except for scientific imaging) is always an art, it is how you use your camera which determines if it is good art or bad art. I don't understand what you are disagreeing with. In the strictest sense, anything that captures photons to produce an image can be termed photography. However, the Photography that we refer to and (try to) exhibit in this forum is not just taking pictures but applying technical knowledge to produce an image.

My post before was in response to Ira's "taking a picture is not photography" claim and your reply to that.

Gil
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Oh me, oh my.

Everything is a career these days. Without going too far into semantics, a photograph is a type of picture. A good photographer can take any subject matter and make it visually appealing. With the right person behind the lens, that impromptu family photo in front of the tree can look like a pre-meditated masterpiece.

There are many types of professional photographers, studio photographers, fashion photographers, sports photographers, etc. Regardless of what type of photographer you want to be, you'll probably want to take some sort of photography course. They're usually designed to give you a fundamental understanding of film cameras, digital cameras, focus and zoom, lighting and aperture, composition, photo processing etc. Depending on where you live, these might be offered as short courses or as accredited diploma courses.

Senior Member niKopol has a reputation beyond repute niKopol has a reputation beyond repute niKopol has a reputation beyond repute niKopol has a reputation beyond repute niKopol has a reputation beyond repute niKopol has a reputation beyond repute niKopol has a reputation beyond repute niKopol has a reputation beyond repute niKopol has a reputation beyond repute niKopol has a reputation beyond repute niKopol has a reputation beyond repute niKopol's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-15-2013 08:38 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Theres Photo-Journalism. Pretty much is a news reporter who takes photos of news worthy events. Most of the ones I've seen mostly cover wars.

Theres those businesses where you can get your photo taken with that wild west look to it. Or just a regular family photo... my mother has all my old professional photos taken of me plastered throughout the living room, like its a shrine for the dead...

And then there are people who I'll just call freelance. Who will go take photos of events, disasters, and other events that they can possibly sell as art, to the news, or use them as a portfolio, or get paid to photograph weddings and other personal events.

Art or not, it can be an income earner. As far as the "art or not" business you guys are stuck on, everyone has a different opinion on what "art" is. If you haven't learned by now your taste in art or what you believe to be art isn't art to another person, you should try to open up your mind a little more before becoming the all knowing dictator for the rest of us. As far as I care its real life screen captures.
    Last edited by niKopol; 07-06-2011 at 11:55 PM.
    niKopol

loboKie
    ayy dyxlesia!

Senior Member Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2013 03:47 PM
    Threads

Photography is my profession. I suppose every true professional can be considered an artist.
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.

Junior Member ~ shino ~ is on a distinguished road ~ shino ~'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-23-2011 02:24 AM
    Threads

that really nice art
    I wish you success in it

Junior Member Heroic has much to be proud of Heroic has much to be proud of Heroic has much to be proud of Heroic has much to be proud of Heroic has much to be proud of Heroic has much to be proud of Heroic has much to be proud of Heroic has much to be proud of Heroic has much to be proud of Heroic's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-31-2013 01:05 PM
    Threads

There are a lot of ways to make it as a photographer which makes it a pretty neat profession.

Something I would suggest is taking on what you like in your free time and going to an arts school for the basics. Once you graduate you can sort of freelance around and maybe even get hired by some magazine or private company.

I don't know a whole lot about the process, but I do think photography is a great profession!

Senior Member Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2013 03:47 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Kishiko View Post
    I'm interest in having photography as a career. I tried researching about it and haven't gone far with it. So can anyone tell me about photography careers? I also want to know about traveling as a photographer. Some photographers travel in different countries.

Photography is a service which requires personal physical presence, but is enough of a specialty that your "local photographer" may not fill your needs. Thus, if you're good enough there is often call for travel in assignments, no matter what field of photography you're in... although some fields will require more travel than others (fashion involves a lot more travel than real estate, for instance). However, if you want to make travel a part of your career in photography, then you will have to specialize in a particular field. Perhaps overseas journalism, or maybe travel photography. Travel photography may be paid for by a publication (ie, magazine, newspaper, etc), but more often it's a freelance thing that a well-to-do photographer may take on, traveling on their own expense then selling the photos gathered to cover that expense.

Personally, I'm a commercial photographer specializing in fashion and product. I get called on to travel for out-of-town assignments, but most of my work is local. I'm pretty happy with my career and what I do.
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.

Member zekes is on a distinguished road zekes's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-04-2011 09:06 PM
    Threads

I think you should search for schools that offers photography courses so that they can teach you what are the basics steps to take pictures. If you have a passion for art and good on making ordinary things looks amazing in picture then photography is for you.

Junior Member Roux has a brilliant future Roux has a brilliant future Roux has a brilliant future Roux has a brilliant future Roux has a brilliant future Roux has a brilliant future Roux has a brilliant future Roux has a brilliant future Roux has a brilliant future Roux has a brilliant future Roux has a brilliant future Roux's Avatar
    Gil
    Cold
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-06-2011 07:56 PM
    Threads

I just need to get one thing off my chest before I post any further, if you are asking whether photography is a good career option. The answer is no. If you need to be made to believe it's a good trade for you etc, it'll never work out, you'll give up at the first hurdle. Photographers are charicterised by the fact they spend ALL day every day or their life living and breathing it. You're late, so you better get going right now if you're going to make it as a photojournalist.

Firstly, if you're unsure of where to start.. pick up a camera, ANY camera, P&S, DSLR, Old film camera (If you have that you're so very lucky to learn photography in it's proper form) and go out and take your first 20,000 photos, post some of them, recieve good critism from
    OminousCloud who is, if I may say so myself an good photographer. After that, read the rest of this post which I quote from a war photography forum.

This is not definitive in any way. It is simply my experience and opinion formulated from twenty years experience as a photojournalist. No doubt others can weigh in and improve this with their comments and ideas.
    I started as a photojournalist by going to art school. I thought I would be a fine art or landscape photographer, but I took a photojournalism course and was quickly hooked. When my money ran out after a year, I dropped out of school, but continued to work as a teaching assistant for photojournalism classes. I may have learned more in this way than I did as a student. I received no credit, but photography is a meritocracy. In over 20 years, I have never been asked for my degree; in the world of photojournalism, your portfolio is your degree.
    I also learned a great deal from spending days in the library, reading about photojournalism and looking up, and discovering, each new name that I chanced upon. In this way I found Robert Capa, Robert Frank, Larry Clark, Alex Webb and dozens of others.
    If you are going to be a photojournalist, you should have a good working knowledge of the history of photojournalism, and of the mediums iconic images. You can show me nearly any often published photograph from the 20th century and I can tell you who took it and where. Ive studied the pictures carefully and memorized details about them. This is extremely useful and will help you later as you shoot.
    As you study images, you should think about where the photographer is in relation to the subjects, study how he or she has managed the light and the angle of the camera. Is the photo effective because it is compressed with a telephoto, or opened up with a wide-angle lens? And how did they get access, how will you gain access to a similar situation?
    I believe that the written word, still photos and film are connected. Artists in the above disciplines are telling stories, whatever the medium. It is important for those in one area to study the work of documentarians and artists in the others. At the bottom of this page is a list of recommended writers, photographers and filmmakers all personal favorites.
    To be a photojournalist, you should be informed. Im was appalled at a group of photographers who showed up in Haiti a few years ago, but did not know who the Duvaliers were, or know even the most rudimentary history of the country. These countries are not there for you to practice photo-tourism and have an extended holiday. These are peoples lives you are documenting. Be knowledgeable and show respect.
    At the very least, you should read the front page or lead web stories each day from either the Washington Post, LA Times or NY Times. The New Yorker has the best long-form journalism in the English language. I read it every week.
    A second language is probably the most important skill you can acquire far more important that the latest camera gear or a diploma from a photo school. It takes time, but you should speak at least basic French or Spanish in addition to English. Arabic, or a language spoken in China, would be an excellent choice also, especially as I write this in 2007.
    I began my career by photographing street demonstrations in New York and taking the pictures around to newspapers and wire services. There was easy access to what was happening, which is important when youre starting out. And even the pictures I was not able to sell helped me to build a portfolio. I also began, almost immediately, to work on long-term projects.
    I cannot overstate the importance of long-term projects. Rather than run around taking hundreds of pictures of dozens of subjects, it is much better to spend a few weeks or a month with a family, or a group of people and get to know them. Your pictures will reveal your commitment as subjects become comfortable with you. Choose your projects carefully. There are hundreds of important projects out there waiting to be discovered and photographed. Photo editors know the commitment behind this kind of in-depth work, and they respect it. A good photo-essay on one project will be remembered and will help to get you assignments.
    You are going to have to promote yourself and your work. If youre afraid of rejection, find another line of work. You have to take your work around, or send it out to editors constantly. Most will turn you away. Thats the nature of the business. Get used to it and dont take it personally. I was crushed in 1985 when Fred McDarrah, an editor at The Village Voice, spent 30 seconds flipping through a portfolio I had spent months creating, then dismissed me with a flip of his hand. It took me a long time to get my courage up again, but I eventually did break in to The Village Voice, then a major photo publication.
    So you must be persistent. And remember that editors are extremely busy. Expect them to take a few minutes to see your work, not more. They dont need to see hundreds of photos on many subjects. Show them 20 or 25 photos they will remember and youll be much better off.
    Notes on technique:
    When I am photographing, I often approach my subjects and explain what I am doing, then ask permission to take their picture. In the ideal situation, I will spend hours or days with a subject; they become comfortable with my presence and I can capture what I want. Sometimes I will carry a small album with my pictures, which I will show to people. This helps them to understand who I am and what Im working on—there is some give and take. People always want to feel that you are not there to exploit them. Be sensitive to this.
    In a news situation I never ask permission, nor do I do anything to alter the situation as it is happening. Likewise, if I am on the street and see a moment in time that would be destroyed by my asking permission, I shoot without asking. I feel that this is my art and I have the right to practice it. I do not pay my subjects—it is unethical and makes it impossible for those who come after you to work without paying also.
    Notes on equipment:
    There is no magic camera that will make you take great pictures. Use what works for you. Develop a system that is reliable and that you are comfortable with. Never, under any circumstances, go on a major assignment with brand new equipment that you have not used. I dont care if it is the latest and greatest. Often there will be glitches and growing pains, you don’t want these when youre under the gun.
    For two decades I used primarily Leica rangefinders. Im now doing a lot of work with Canon digital EOS models, mostly a 5D and a 24-70 zoom lens. In Africa, where Im based, I always have a Hasselblad for portraits and usually a Leica as well. I still believe in film but have to acknowledge that for a newspaper photographer, it is impractical at best.Im a bit of a techie I carry a lot of gear when doing long assignments and am always experimenting with some new piece that will give me an edge. I know photographers far better than me that walk around with one battered body and a single lens and do great work. I hate flash and avoid it at all cost. Other photographers who I admire shoot with flash all the time. There is no right way to do it. I would say that a low light lens, preferably a wide-angle f1.4, or at least an f2, is a good investment. I shoot at night frequently, and here in Baghdad I am out with soldiers on night raids inside homes flash is out of the question.
    There are exceptions to what I wrote above: in a combat situation, I do not carry a lot of gear. Usually one camera and one lens. Under fire is not a time to be fumbling with gear. Shoot what you can with what you have.

It must be hard for those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than the truth as authority.

Junior Member luv4usagi has a reputation beyond repute luv4usagi has a reputation beyond repute luv4usagi has a reputation beyond repute luv4usagi has a reputation beyond repute luv4usagi has a reputation beyond repute luv4usagi has a reputation beyond repute luv4usagi has a reputation beyond repute luv4usagi has a reputation beyond repute luv4usagi has a reputation beyond repute luv4usagi has a reputation beyond repute luv4usagi has a reputation beyond repute luv4usagi's Avatar
    Gil
    Sassy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-17-2011 03:08 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Kishiko View Post

Hi! I say if you have any desire to be a photographer whether it's a career or a hobby (because it can be both) then you need buy a camera and go out and take pictures of anything that interests you. If you can't afford a nice camera it's no big deal. It's not the camera that takes the great shot, it's the person behind the camera. Granted once you get to a certain level you might need a little bit of help. But for someone just starting a normal camera is all you need.

I agree with some of what's been said here. Photography is art but it can also be a career but not every picture taken is a photograph. There are pictures and there are photographs. It's hard to explain. You just gotta go take pictures and if you got it then you'll feel it! That's the one thing that I dislike about photography. Everyone that takes a picture thinks it's a photograph and they can do it as a career. Yea, maybe but I doubt it. Am I an amazing photographer? Nee, but I'm also a learner and hoping to start school for it next year.

anyway, as i said. just get a camera and take pictures. everywhere. take the camera with you and see what you get. do the 365 project and take a picture everyday for an entire year and you can see whether or not you improved with it. Then maybe you'll know if you want it as a hobby or a career.

/blab

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information